Amp and component spkeaker wiring

Bronze Member
Username: Kai2780

Post Number: 27
i am trying to choose an amplifier for a component system. i am unsure of the wiring on both types of components but i am leaning towards a 2-way system because i am doing my own install (trust issues with the 2 local shops. i live on an island) and i am a novice. think it will be easier to setup. how do i wire a 2-way or 3-way system for a good sq setup? should i use a 4-channel, a two channel, or two 2-channel amps (one for the tweets and one for the mids) for a 2-way system.

components are dynaudio esotecs. most likely will be the Esotec System 242GT. comprised of 2 md 102 4ohm 100w rms tweeters, 2 md 162gt 4ohm 120w rms wooofers. looking into zapco amps. not sure which series though. are their power ratings accurate? i understand they are of the highest quality but those are some modest figures.

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 329
well normally, you want most of your highs/mids comming from your front soeakers, to make the sound stage in the front, then just use the rear speakers for fill. people amp the front speakers and either dont amp the back or amp the back one with a separate 2 channel amp , but dont normally have the back speakers very loud

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 403
Nice choice with the amps and components. Zapco figures are correct, they even explain that stuff on their website. I've had a C2K 6.0x - a great amp. You could also look into Arc Audio since it was established by the same people that started Zapco. Either way, go with their top models.
If you want to bi-amp, go with 2 x 2ch amps, otherwise go with one 2ch amp, well I guess a 4ch would work as well. Make sure you get enough power to those Dyns

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
haha...i guess you would probably want to get 2 2 channel amps since your speakers RMS power is that high. but with the 2 amps, youll be able to adjust your front speakers without also adjusting your back ones like you would have to if they were all on the same amp.

and yes zapco amps are very good and do put out their rms rating, if not more

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 405
Klez, he is gonna only power 1 component set and he is considering bi-amping, that's it. There are gonna be no rear spks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
you may already know this, but this is a very good article to read when setting up speakers READ IT

http://www.soundstream.com/tech-soundstage.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
that's correct maris. though i am doing a second system in my daily driver and using 2 crystal comp8s with one ddss1 for a small sq system without big subs to conserve trunk space and installing the amp under the backseat in a cooled amp box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
thanks for the link klez. nope, didnt know that cause as i said i am a novice. that will be most helpful. going to read it right now.

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 407
wow, cooled amp box, hmm, must be interesting.
Please let us know how those Dyns work out and what amp(s) you have decided to get.
Enjoy the music:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
i am running a pioneer deh-p9600mp hu and i think it can automatically do this using a supplied microphone. not sure i would be satisfied with the automatic settings though. also thinking of selling this and stepping up to the dex-p9.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
i just mean a box built to house the amp and i am going to install two fans in the cover to move air through the box. dont think the ddss1 has a fan. it is a small amp (600wrmsx1 @1ohm) but, since it will be under the seat thought it would be a great idea to move some air over it. this is basically a stealth install that i am looking for to greatly disappoint thieves at first glance. think i am overdoin it on the box for the amp maris?

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 408
Well, it depends on the space under the seat, under the front seat would be fine without extra cooling, however, under the back seat I would not risk it without aditional cooling. The cooling box should help:-)
I see you are into Pioneer HU's, well they are nice, hmm, but I must say I am a fan of Alpine HU's:-)
I have never worked with one of those automatic timing head units, I guess you could let it time the system and then tweak it a bit if need it, but I don't know if it lets you adjust the timing settings manually after it has set itself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
have been a victim of thievery before so i was trying to keep the amp well hidden. thought about the front seat but liked the idea of under the back seat.

i think the hu allows me 2 fine tune after an auto setup but, i could be wrong. i will play with it and see as soon as i get the car back from de mechanic. having an mtx conversion done. i've only had a panasonic cq-c9800u and the pioneer. like the pioneer but i have been told there are better quality, higher end decks available. it is able to get quite loud on the current 6x8s without distortion to my surprise without an amp. though it could be the sp gain of my mx-6 coupe. now that i am looking for a quality sq system i am open to trying new products.

thinking of one 2-channel and spending the extra cash on a better hu. according to da's website the tweets and mids are four ohm. so, to put them on one 2-channel the tweets go on one channel and the mids go on the other or one mid and tweeter per channel? ok, what would be the load on each channel? 2ohms? i'm trying to make sure i am looking at the amps output at the correct load on each channel so i dont under or overpower by too much.

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 412
Hold your horses:-)
You are getting the Dynaudio component set right? If so it will come with a set of passive x-overs. The load will be 4ohms per channel. See, even though there are two 4ohm drivers on each side, they play different frequencies so the final load per channel is still 4ohms. So look at the standard rating for the amp 2x100 @ 4ohm stereo (an example)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
oooohhhhh. thanks for the clarification.

Silver Member

Cork, Co.Cork Ireland

Post Number: 415
Always welcome:-)

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3074
kai what's up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
i'm cool juliob jus gettin some more help with questions i had as i preplan my systems before ordering and installing them. NO MORE AUDIOBAHN!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us