Choosing an amp

Bronze Member
Username: Moondogg1212

Post Number: 14
hey just wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on a new amp.
need something to push 2 10" JLW3V3 looking for about 400wattRMS on each sub. not looking to spend a fortune but a couple hundo should do the trick. thanks for your time

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
what do you think a NINE.1 would do for them. will it blow the subs. i plan on buying dual 4ohm subs and running them at 2ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2912
to much power on those subs, they are only rated for 300watts, and what version do you have , 2, 4 or 8 ohm version.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 278
A used ARC Audio or a used PPI on ebay.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2913
those subs are single voice coil subs and you can not run dual 4 ohm subs to 2 ohm load unless you run in stereo mode on a 2 channel amp.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 685
do you already have the subs, and if so, what impedence (ohm) are they.

this will help us identify an amp that can be used to its full potential.

if they are single 4 ohm, and being a fan myself, i would recommend a kicker zx750.1. great quality for the money, and kicker has NEVER given me one problem with their amps, so i stand by them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2914
a zx-400.1 on 2 4ohm speakers,or a 500/1, a memphis mcd-500, and you could even use a JL 250/1 on them. those subs do not need max power to run them nicely

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1938
i have a xenon 400.1 for sale. used for only about 6 months. email me if interested.
landerfield@sbcglobal.net

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
sorry i plan on buying 4ohm SVC and i want to run them at 2ohm at about 300wattsRMS possibly 350rms

Gold Member

Post Number: 2915
the kicker zx400.1 or th pg xeon 400.1 or the memp. For 159 you can get the Kicker ebay item number 140039716858

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 686
he wants 300-350w PER sub. in which case, either a zx750.1 or a kx600.1 would make those sing. as well as any other quality amp putting out 600-750w rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2921
to much power for those subs, they are only rated for 300w, and JLs are funny about amount of power supplied to them. put that much power to them and run them hatrd if you want, just be prepared to buy new subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2922
never ,mind I was look at the wrong sub on the website, 215 is correct, the 750.1 would be a great amp for the 2 4ohm speakers. optimum power for those subs is 300w, but your pro needing to spend a little more then 200

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2810
i'm with ty, PG xenon 400.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i found a zx750.1 for like 220 brand new. Good buy or no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2835
if you use 3 4 ohm SVC the load will be 1.34 ohms. The ZX will put like 1k if you run it that way and you might blow your subs if you don't control the gain.

Get it cuz the price is right, a nice deal

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 689
where did he ever say anything about wanting 3 subs?

that zx750.1 for 220 is a good deal and a good amp for those subs. enjoy.

Username: Mitymouse

Post Number: 1
Don't waste your time and money on the zx750.1. Go with the JL 250/1 for the 2 JLw3v2 subs.

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 692
please eleborate why a kicker zx750.1 is a waste of time and money?

Post Number: 10
For his application, the Kicker is a waste. Using a Kicker amp on a JL system is the waste. Don't get me wrong, Kicker is a good company. I've ran Kicker and had one of the best sounding and hardest hitting systems I've ever had. But for the subs he wants to run, the 250/1 is better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
is that jl 250 RMS? if so i would only be putting a 125 watts to each sub. thats how im going to ruin them. i'd rather over power than under power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
i think that im going to go with the kicker. thanks guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
No that's not 125rms per sub. It's a monoblock amp that is rated at 250rms from 1.5-4ohms. So you may really be getting 500-700rms per sub. Plus the JLw3 subs are a low end sub, so the 250/1 may be too much for them. It's an ultra clean amp and will out-do the Kicker anyday.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1967
are you stupid!!!! that 250/1 will not put out 500-700wrms to each sub! and the 250/1 will not be to much for them, it will actually be underpowering them.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1339
hahahahaha dave is a joke

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 693
dave must be one of dem dare wee-todds

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
It will and it does. Have you ever ran one? Do you have a clue? I'm a joke, huh, playa? Prove me wrong. I talk about what I know. I know because I've ran them. What do you know? What have you ran? I've seen no quoted specs from either of you, nor any claim for experience. What are you bumpin? Proly some sissy wanna-be system.

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 303
Dave you are a joke you said urself "It's a monoblock amp that is rated at 250rms from 1.5-4ohms." and ill give you that the jl is under rated allittle...maybe it will put out 325 rms on its best day....but thats still only about 165 watts rms to each sub....that jl will not put out newhere close to 500 watts to one sub let alone to each of them...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
How do you figure? Do you know anything about physics? When you power a set of subs in parallel, each sub receives the same power, which is the total power the amp produces. Under a 4 ohm load the system will receive 250rms. Now check any other amp and see what happens to the wattage when you half the ohm load to it. Now, almost half it again. What do you get? By rights, the approximate wattage of the 250/1 should be 1000rms at 1 ohm. JL amps are not stable at 1 ohm so subtract some wattage from 1000 and what do you come up with? JL rates their amps the same for all ohm loads, but actual testing will show that this is not the case. I'm a joke? Who are you to call me a joke?

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 304
no...jl amps have a regulator that make them put out the same power from 1.5-4 ohms...so at 1.5 ohms its putting out 250 watts RMS and at 4 ohms...guess what...250 RMS...so you are wrong and that amp would underpower the subs....maybe you learn allittle more before you "talk about what you know"

Gold Member

Post Number: 2874
PG xenon 600.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
this is getting rediculous ask a simple question and every one starts bitc#in, WTF!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
can anyone tell me where i can find dual 8ohm subs, im thinking about changin my mind again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
You really believe that JL regulates the power. Have you tested this "theory"? I have! Maybe you should learn a little more, huh? Try it sometime, Mr. Expert.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2875
Brian... 8 ohm subs are usually SVC

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 1277
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
this dave guy is rediculous, i have been going around reading his posts, they all crack me up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Wow, Mr. Montana found the capital letter button. Congrats, Professor.

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 1283
It Doktah not professor lol but thanks N00B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Oh Doktah, never heard of that before. Does that stand for noob? Or is that a new amp by the beloved Kicker or maybe PG?

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 1284
lol you crack me up, I have heard better come backs from my sister and she is 12, leave this forum and come back when you know something about car audio, and stop whining like a school boy b!tch everytime someone proves your wrong

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 383
dave, y just like to disagree with everyone, its that or you just that stupid, maybe u shouldnt post for awhile. cause that stuff about the jl amp is jus plain dumb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
really? I only disagree because no one has experience with what they are talking about. The JL amps act just like any other amp. Otherwise, why would anyone hook up more than 1 sub to them? As long as the sub you are hooking up draws 4 ohms, the amp will push the max power in that configuration, right? Otherwise, you would be splitting 250 watts by multiple subs and wouldn't gain anything. This is where someone can say haha or lol. I'll tell you why. The 250/1 produces more than 250 watts. Try it is all I'm saying. I have and that's the only reason I can say what I am saying. Or you can just do what everone else does and believe the guy with the most posts on this forum.

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 395
if you think i sub can push its max power you have got some serious problems. the thing you are splitting 250 by multiple subs if you have more than one. its like saying my old amp did 1100wrms @ 2 ohms. its like saying that it did that to each sub. me and you both no that didnt happen each sub got 550wrms @ two ohms which worked about great cause they were 500wrms subs. i dont believe the guy with the most posts. i dont believe you from what ive been reading and knowing what i already know in the car audio world

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
You know, huh? I asked a question in my last post. My point is that if you take a 4ohm sub and hook it up to the JL 250/1 you will have less bass than if you hook up 2 4ohm subs in parallel which makes 2ohms to the same amp. Under your logic, which you're saying each sub will get half the wattage as it did previously, you would get about the same. I'm saying that isn't the case. Hooking up 1 4ohm sub will give you way less bass than 2 4ohm subs. How is this possible if each sub is getting less than what the original sub got?

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 696
so dave, you have benched this jl 250/1, at different impedence's, and have proof of it producing 1000w+ rms?

and exactly what bad experience have you had with kicker amps that you feel the need to bash?

your making alot of bold statements to both the laymen and the experienced. how much experience do you have? whats the best sq set-up you've owned?

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 1295
if he says the L5's im gonna freak out lol

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 697
and to your last post, you reallize that by doubling the surface area and keeping the same over-all power and same enclosure type, you still will yield roughly a 3db increase

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma

Post Number: 404
oh dude me too... i will prolly flip a wig.

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 1296
ummmm......OWNED

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
You don't have to prove it to see it. I agree that if you use the same enclosure and same wattage you will yield a higher db. But the JL, according to you guys, doesn't produce more wattage if the ohm load is decreased. So each time you add a sub, each sub will be receiving less wattage than the setup before it. So that increased surface area does nothing for you if you decrease the wattage each sub receives.

I never bashed kicker amps. I never claimed the L5 setup I had was the best sound quality setup I or anyone else had.

Ummm...owned what? A rag-tag mismatched system that would crap on itself if it weren't in the truck on a car? I don't run muffled bass. All my systems have the subs exposed in the vehicle.

It's kinda funny when all of you dog people who say they have done something, but when it comes to trying it yourselves, you hide behind your false realities.

I have ran the JL 250/1 at different impedences. I never said that amp will produce 1000+. If you recall I said about 500-700.

I never started out to play any of these games with you people. I saw someone asking for advice, so I shared some experience. Next thing I know, I have to defend myself, in all places, a forum?!? That's what a forum is, opinions. You all need to stop taking youselves so seriously.

These is always going to be someone with more knowledge, experience and a better system than you. But not on this forum, right guys!

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 431
can't we all just get along :-).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2942
call JL, they will tell you what it actually will do.

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 698
"By rights, the approximate wattage of the 250/1 should be 1000rms at 1 ohm."

no, it shouldn't.

"Don't waste your time and money on the zx750.1"
and
"For his application, the Kicker is a waste. Using a Kicker amp on a JL system is the waste"

i considered this bashing. i would never consider kicker amps a waster of time OR money.

and you think that every system HAS to use the same brand equipment for everything to function properly? like JL W3's have to be with JL amps? are you high?

the only case i can give that to you is with a W7 and a slash series amp. besides that, any JL product can be used with any other quality product and yield great results.

and finally, i asked about your experience since you have been bashing on everyone else's experience here, saying that everyone is speaking ONLY out of hearsay and rumor. I want to know what the best sq set-up you have owned that would give you a reference point as to what true sq sounds like. it was just a question that you still have no answered.

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 1309

quote:

Ummm...owned what? A rag-tag mismatched system that would crap on itself if it weren't in the truck on a car? I don't run muffled bass. All my systems have the subs exposed in the vehicle

lol, my system would r@pe your L5's

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9456
my system is the best end of thread....no more posts in this thread....thread closed

Upload

Silver Member

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 700
not yet... i'm enjoying this little debate with "dave"

Gold Member

Montana USA

Post Number: 1312
me too lol, i dont know where he comes up with some of this stuff, and Chauncey your right, yours is good, but it doesnt count till its all in your car lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2896
Chauncey did you get those Crystal compX, cuz if you don't then you have the loudest system with no SQ, those 15l7s get loud!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
I'd say the best I've had in a vehicle to date would have been 2 old school 12" macdaddy's with the diamond 1200D. The memphis 1100D did alright on those subs as well. As did the fosgate 1500 and, wouldn't you know, the JL 250/1.

As far as contacting JL, they say that the RIPS system is only a guarentee that their amps will put out a minimum of the specified wattage at any voltage and load combination between 11.5-14.4volts and 1.5-4ohms, respectively.
Also they sent me a link to the only review they had on hand of their slash 500. It said they were able to get 733 watts from it at 2ohms with no mention of what it did at 1.5ohms or at peak voltages.

It's funny that everyone wants to know what I'm beating or have beatin when I've said what I have ran over and over again. I wouldn't recommend a component I haven't used unless I stated that I haven't use it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I'd say the best I've had in a vehicle to date would have been 2 old school 12" macdaddy's with the diamond 1200D. The memphis 1100D did alright on those subs as well. As did the fosgate 1500 and, wouldn't you know, the JL 250/1.

As far as contacting JL, they say that the RIPS system is only a guarentee that their amps will put out a minimum of the specified wattage at any voltage and load combination between 11.5-14.4volts and 1.5-4ohms, respectively.
Also they sent me a link to the only review they had on hand of their slash 500. It said they were able to get 733 watts from it at 2ohms with no mention of what it did at 1.5ohms or at peak voltages.

It's funny that everyone wants to know what I'm beating or have beatin when I've said what I have ran over and over again. I wouldn't recommend a component I haven't used unless I stated that I haven't use it.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 302
Dave, would you please explain one thing to me - how on earth is 250/1 putting out say 500W or more with a 30A fuse - it is impossible, because it would blow the fuse before it would ever reach that output?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Can't explain it. Also can't explain how it kept up with the diamond d1200 and memphis 1100D either. Can't explain how or why everything does what it does, but I can say what I've seen and heard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2901
^^^^^you're crazy...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us