Any advice?

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 50
can anyone recommend me an eq or a preamp? i have an empty slot right now in my car. do i even need one? and what's the difference between the two. i heard the preamp can boost my music, but that's about it. so anyway, can anyone recommend me an alpine eq or preamp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2826
Audiocontrol makes a myriad of them
www.audiocontrol.com

Kicker makes an in-dash pre-amp/EQ
www.kicker.com

Zapco makes the SP4-SL and SP7-SL which are wonderful pre-amps, but very equensive, and best only used with their own amps via the SymbiLink balanced DIN cables.
www.zapco.com

a pre-amp will clean up the signal and boost line voltage. I love pre-amps, but not everybody finds a need for them.
the EQ, as you're probably aware, just allows cut or boost at pre-defined frequencies and slopes unless it's a parametric, which allows definition of Q and freq as well.
most pre-amps have a few EQ bands as well for in-dash on the fly tweaking of things like more bass.

the 1/3 octave 30 band EQT from Audiocontrol is a great EQ, not a pre-amp, but good for soundcurve shaping in competition cars.
I plan to use two in my next system along with the zapco pre-amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 51
so would it make sense to have a preamp with a crossover? Or make more sense to have a preamp with eq only?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2868
check out the Kicker.. it's a pre-amp with some pre-set frequency EQ bands so you can boost bass and such.. but I believe it also offers sub control, fader, balance..
acts as a crossover too.
that way you only need 1 set of inputs, and get F/R/S out
also gives you a volume control as a master colume.. this way you set the head unit to pre-distortion max vol, and use the preamp as your main control for everything
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us