Speaker Wiring question

Anonymous

Is there any way to get a 4 ohm component speaker system to create a 2 ohm load to an amp w/o connecting the rear speakers in parallel w/ it. I was thinking if I ran two sets of wire from the amp, one set to the crossover and one set to a 4 ohm resistor as a load, it would create a 2 ohm load, what do you think?

Username: Stereo_junkie

Post Number: 4
Well your right, the amp will see a 2 ohm load. However you are only wasting the extra output as heat from your 4 ohm resistor. The speakers will be no louder and could possibley be less loud.

My assumption is that you want the amp to be at 2 ohms so that you'll get more power?

The only way to do that is get an amp with a higher rated output power at the 4 ohms of your speakers. Besides, amplifiers have lower distortion ratings at 4 ohms than at 2 ohms. Not to mention 2 ohm loads create lots more unwanted heat in the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2682
the distortion is still far far below that of human hearing, and the extra heat is due to the higher power output of the amp at 2 ohms.. yeah more heat, more power.

anyway as noted, you either need a 2 ohm sub, or a bridged stereo amp with the 4 ohm sub
only two ways to go, unless you add a second 4 ohm sub

Username: Tyler

New London, WI USA

Post Number: 4
OK, i really need help! how do you take the wires from the head unit (front L speaker + -, Front R speaker + -) and rear speakers and such to an amp? i was thinking all you need to do is the RCA's but then the fade and balance wouldnt work on the head unit. any help would be awesome! thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2757
no there is no way to create a 2 ohm load from a single pair of 4 ohm speakers using some trick with resistors etc.
what you CAN do is use a 4 channel amp and bridge that to two channels. the amp will see half the actual load and deliver its full rated power to the two 4 ohm channels.

This is how I'll be running my Celica. one set of 4 ohm components for a front stage, and a 4 channel amp bridged to two channels to drive that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us