Tuning freq for boxes...

Bronze Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 43
i am building a 4.5 cubic foot box for 2 12" crossfire BMFs and i have no idea what the tuning frequency of boxes is, i change the number in the box in the link below and it just changes the way the port looks... it will be like the one in the link, 42.5 wide and no more than 14.5 tall... also, what freq should i tune this box to for these two with about 1000 watts rms to them?

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=42.5&Eh=14.5&Dia=6&Xmax=18 .2&Vd=.071&NumW=2&Vb=4.5&Fb=32&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6424
32 hz is a good tune if you want to retain most of the SQ of the driver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
my main question though was what does the number mean... what will happen if i tune to 42 instead of 32, what happens when you go up and down...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 663
anything over 40hz will sound sh1ty cause its 2 high but it depends on what the sub likes looks like 32hz every sub likes lol but i tune my subs @ 24hz lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
can i get some reasons why? i know over 40 is bad, 32 is good, but WHY?

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 475
40 is not reccomended often because its mostly "SPL". Its not really musically and sounds bad to the ear.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 641
when you tune higher ever freq. over that point will be louder, and you need to set your sub sonic filter at your box tuning because when it hits lower the sub will go nuts and will get fucked up.

32 is considered good because it still hits low and most music doenst have freq. much below that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
alright, i got it sorta, i did notice when i entered pretty high numbers the box had ALOT of port, and the lower the more of a snail it starts to look if ya know what i mean...

just 2 more ?s now people...

1) where it says in that link "NET box volume" does that mean port and everything? i want each speaker to have roughly 2.25 cubic feet, so that makes it 4.5... so do i put 4.5 there or do i include all of the port, too?

2) what is the sub sonic filter? how do i tune it to my box?

i think 4.5 in that space is probably good, because that is a big box... thanks guys...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
anyone, anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1553
I believe NET volume is w/o the displacement of the sub or port but not sure.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 652
sub sonic filter is on your amp and it filters out the lower freq. your supposed to set it to your box tuning

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4794
you don't want to set it to exactly your box's tuning...that is when the box is loudest.

set it anywhere from 5-8hz under your box's tuning. that will give your sub enough protection before it will bottom out.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4795
i know the SS isn't a brick wall filter either....but in a car the box actually tunes lower. so set it a bit lower than your box:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us