Single vs. Dual, 10" vs. 12"

Username: Gforce

Post Number: 1
I was happily pushing a single Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" with my Kicker KX600.1 amp until the sub just stopped thumpin. In the meantime I got a single Kicker Comp 10" but it just doesn't get the job done. Now that it's time to replace the sub, I wonder if going dual 10s or 12s in 4 ohm or single 10 or 12 in 2 ohm would get me the best sound quality from that amp. I have space issues though in my Jeep Wrangler. Considering the sub(s) will be in a "truck box" does anyone have any suggestions for single vs. dual and which specific subs. Thanks a ton!

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 554
general rule is adding a sub=3db increase, also does doubling the power, or adding a port. I would say that if you got a good 12 you would b happy. it wouldnt use up all your cargo space, and you'd get low if you wanted.

Post Number: 2
So it sounds like a single 12 in a ported box would be a good way to go. Do I understand correctly that to get the full 600 W from my amp with a single sub I need to get one rated at 2 ohms? Please suggest a good quality sub for under 200 that fits this bill. Thanks!!!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6300
a good sub for under $200 would be a alpine type R dual 4 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2227
^NO, get an AA arsenal it would destroy that type r.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6305
there you go:-)

Post Number: 3
How do those two hold up to the Kicker L7?

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 523
an L7 properly powered and enclosed will be louder then two ... but it wont last anywhere near as long ... if all u want is straight spl ... then thats ur man ... the l7s sq isnt bad its just not good ... ive heard worse .. lol

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the quick replies. SQ is most important of all to me so maybe the L7 is out and a sealed enclosure is in. Pardon my ignorance but what is the AA Arsenal (manufacturer)? Any other recommended 12s for about $200 that have nice sq and would do alright in a truck box?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8893
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/

Post Number: 5
Wow! Can't wait to hear the Arsenal. One more question. Should I pick up a 12" truck box or have a custom box built to maximize the space in my Jeep?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6356
custom box, and the arsenal is gonna be nice. dont be afraid to give it some power. like 750-800 watts it will take it and love it all day long.

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 132
2 Infinity kappa perfects 12.1 would be louder and cheaper than one arsenal in the same box and run at the same wattage. and give a 2 ohm load in parallel and sq is amazing ported or sealed. the size wont really be a problem either just mount them accross from each other in a box even if the box is the same size as it would be for 1 asrenal the 2 perfects would still be louder. as long as they could fit but if your doing a custom box then it shouldnt be a problem.

Post Number: 6
Where would be best place to get a custom box? Local joint like Car Toys or could I find someone to make a custom box online? What should I expect to pay? Also, where would I get 2 kappa perfects for the price of 1 arsenal? Thanks guys.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6385
I would do the arsenal over the kappa's

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 135
crutchfield for the perfects. this is my opinion, but if you blow ur subs and you need new ones infinity will be more likely to replace them easier than AA because its a bigger company. that is completely my opinion and it might be completely wrong, but we all hope we will never have to find out either, rite. personally i think that the SQ on the perfects would be just as good (if not better) than the Arsenal and the 2 perfects are louder than 1 arsenal and just about = to 2 arsenals (at the same wattage) so thats my logic.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4743
the reason i owuld go with an arsenal over 2 perfects is b/c of the better build quality of the Arsenal.

Chad has excellent customer service from what i have heard.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4936
thanks for the compliment muddy. lol.

ARSENALS!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6395
if you ever blow a arsenal you will get better servise from the small company then from teh large company just for your info man. I have had AA subs's and one got damaged durring shipping and Chad was eager to help out and ship out a new sub before he even recieved the damaged one back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4757
the bigger the company....usually the more of a pain in the a**. not always. and not with every big company though.:-)

Post Number: 8
Wow.....i'm torn. Both options - 2 kappas or 1 arsenal, sound like they'de give me what I want for a great price. That 2 for 1 deal on the kappas is NICE. Considering that I don't plan on upgrading my amp (kx600.1), would one option yield better sq than the other with this moderate power lvl amp?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1447
i'd take the arsenal, which i have a pair for sale by the way:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4786
i smell a good deal.

Post Number: 9
Mike, how come your profile says u got 2 alpine type r's. Why aren't those Arsenals in your Accord?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1448
was going to get a new car for them, but that aint working out just yet. i haven't updated that profile since i joined. got 3 pairs, 2 arsenals, 2 r's, and 2 w3's.

Post Number: 10
My bad.....just read your post of stuff u r sellin. Guess the profiles aren't up to date :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm leanin' toward single 12 but won't be able to decide single vs. double till I figure out what the enclosure will cost me. Would u sell single arsenal?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1449
possibly. whats your city and zip so i could figure shipping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Denver (Westminster, CO) 80234

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1541
lol ctmike i will possible get the other if u sell 1 to him cuz i prob will only have enough for 1 for now, see so it'll work out all perfect :-)

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1452
that's cool. either one of you interested email me: landerfield@sbcglobal.net and let me know.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1545
So does that shippin quote u gave me split in half if i only get 1 sub??

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1454
i'll check, but probably.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1547
Ive never bought from someone over the internet b4 so what do i gotta do??

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1456
i checked fed ex quick, and it said $23-24 for the one. didn't check the other 2 places though, but i imagine they'll go down about the same.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1457
if you guys each want one i'll sell them seperately. let me know.

can't take paypal or nothing though, so it'll have to be check or money order. money order would probably be best cause i wont have to wait till it clears like a check so i can send them faster.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1458
bump

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Mike, was fedex $24 for one to Denver? Do you have any 12" enclosures to get rid of too?

I figure I'm gonna go single 12 in non-custom enclosure since I will probably only have vehicle for about another year. Anyone have any suggestion for where to pick up a small, inexpensive single 12 box? Thanks!

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1459
for the one to denver, fed ex is about $20. sorry, no box for singles, just a sealed and a ported, both for 2 12"s. you can always just get a single box made at a store, shouldn't cost no more than $50-75. i do have a cap. to get rid of though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us