Suggestions on Amp and Speakers

Username: Bigg

Post Number: 1
I am interested in buying an amp and speakers for my Toyota truck. Nothing too exotic - what I am most interested in is clean clear sound - high and low.
I have a Pioneer DEH-1100 cd player and want to upgrade with an amplifier and 4 speakers.
I don't think I have the room for a subwoofer and am not really into the "thump" - more into clarity. As for speakers - I was thinking like 6X9's in the back (extra cab) and tweeters in the front (stock location). There are just so many brands it gets a little confusing and I am curious if there are any opinions as to a good combination given the type of sound I am seeking.
Price is open - I plan on having the system professionally installed once I have selected the components. Any help would be appreciated.
Also, any opinions on speaker wire? Monster cable?

Thanks,

Greg

Username: Weefella

Post Number: 1
if you are after clarity stay away from japanese made speakers sony pioneer alpine all boast great power ratings which is greaat but with all the titanium in the components makes them awfully chirpy.. i myself packed my car with infinity gear components in the front and a couple off 6.5's in the rear juiced up sounds very smooth........ hope it helps

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4356
Infinity speakers would be a pretty good way to go in this case. However, they are bright which translates into harsh for some, and they don't play bass well-they sound much better with a subwoofer.

Infinity is 'designed and engineered' here in the US, but they're made in China. Still great speakers.

Check out this post: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/260423.html

I highly recommend the JL or CDT. :-)

Post Number: 2
Thanks - I am looking at the JL. Kind of a newb I guess. Got a killer Onkyo home system, but I think it is apples and oranges when you start talking mobile sound. Am I correct that your recomendation is for JL amplifiers also?
I live in the Seattle Tacoma area - any ideas on a professional installer

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4369
Yes, JL amps are great, however, they are pricey.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2004
MB quart, rainbow, CDT, focal, DLS, boston acoustics, JL...

not all japanese product sucks... they used to be great a while ago but now they're more comercial than any brand cuz that's what they care now

for amps check old school PPI and many others...

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Post Number: 154
yeah i agree with josh. i loaded my truck with Infinity Kappa's 5x7's 4 of them with an alpine v-power amp. man those things scream. hellalious loud. loud enough to where i can almost not hear my subs

Post Number: 3
Hey,
I have been reading a ton on the internet. Anyo f you guys heard of Elemental Designs? I have been told their amps & speakers are very good quality and that their sound is loud, clear and tight - which is what I want.
Just getting a little overwhelmed - JL looks goood, so does PPI, Elemental Designs and a ton of others.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6232
elemental is good. I have a set of Jl's for my rear fill and I also run a Jl 12w6v2 for my sub. They are fantastic speakers. As far as amps go JL is up there with teh best but like Jexx said they are pricey. If you use ebay you can get good deal's.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4403
Chase: another reason the Infinity's can be so loud is they are 2 ohm voice coils, which I find strange for component/coaxial speakers. They get more power from the amp (less resistance) so you actually can save a bit by not having to purchase a higher powered amp.

Greg: I'm with James, too, if you want a JL amp, ebay is the best place to grab them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us