Big Three on Jetta

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 417
Just a simple question.. do I need a fusable link between the (+) of the alternator and the (+) of the battery if the leave the stock wiring from the through the fuse block? I'll be using 4 guage for the alternator to battery and for the engine to chassis.. the battery is going to use the stock ground and since its a yellow top I'm going to put a 1/0 off tbe sidepost thats not being used.. two grounds :-). Btw.. I should run the alternator to the positive termial of the battery that my amps positive wire is connected, correct? Its on the side post while the stock is a top mount. Gotta love batteries with both mounts :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4782
that sounds about right. i didn't fuse mine. i have no problem with that. there are many who feel that you should fuse it.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 421
makes me wonder if i should or shouldn't ...

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4791
as long as your cables are well protected, i don't see why you need to. i wrapped my cables with the cable protector so they are very safe. (knock on wood)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3091
i just have a non-fused 1/0ga line from my batt to alt...in fact, my stock line wasnt fused.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 425
what size wire do you recommend? I was just going to use some 4gauge since its laying around. Its a stock alt so its not putting out that much amperes

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4809
4 gauge is fine. its better than nothing.

btw are you ever going to upgrade your alt?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 426
eventually when i have extra money.. i know my amp draws way more than my factory alt can put out... how expensive would it be to get mine rebuilt for a 200a?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4811
nate quoted me $400 for a 200amp alt for my 05 accord. i eventually bought it from iraggi. i paid $475 for a 280a alt. i have yet to see my voltage drop below 13.9v at full volume at idle. that was with my ac full blast, headlights on, cabin light on, and the system on high.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4261
Yeah, I also have my 1/0 gauge unfused. I don't see the need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us