Heat saturation and subwoofer motors.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1377
I have noticed that there has been more subwoofer failures during the summer months than any other time of the year. This was brought to my attention by my cousin, a 15+ year veteran installer here in Chicagos NW side. I told him that was ridiculous even though he said, "wanna bet"? I was wondering why this would be true so I did some tests to verify this. My car is a black 2001 Pontiac GP GTP, obviously a trunked vehicle. On the summer days we had 95F+ temps I took a reading of 138deg F of the interior, hot enough to send my factory Bose amp into protection and turn the fans on my twin kicker sx's. This is fricken hot, I thought to myself. I opened the trunk and placed my hand on the motor assemblies of my two Treo SSI 10.22's (inverted) and it burnt the sh!t out of my hand! I placed the dig thermometer inside the coil vent and secured with a small piece of 3M tape. I then closed the trunk and keyed up the two amps with some Lil John. Once the Bose amp got some air it came back on but after only 10 mins of playing time I noticed some stink coil going on and it was getting worse. I quickly turned the volume down from 50/60 to like 20 and opened the runk to get more air in. I looked at ther thermometer dispay again and it was almost 153eg F! I removed my back seat and cranked the AC to get the temps down. I drove all the way home 36 mins drive time and AC cranked all the way, fricken cold . When I got home I touched the magnets and it was still kind of hot. I noticed the larger the assemblys the longer it takes for the heat saturation to disipate. This can be a great downfall for these large @ss subs we are running? I now let my subs cool on hot days and not only was I able to run almost 1500 wrms on each of my SSI's, my Re sx 15 now has almost 3K on it and stays remarkably cool if it starts out that way, no stinky coils there, lol. I am working on a summertime copper cooling system that will use simple 1/4" copper tubing and a small pump to relieve some of the heat quicker. I will use a small heat exchanger next to my AC condenser to cool the liquid. If you have any doubt how much heat actually hits your coils, push your cone forward and notice the discoloration of the coil portion within the gap and compare to the small portion that is not. Let yo sh!t cool before you run it during the summer! Get me another drink, lol Polo.. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us