8 ohm? And car amp?

Username: Vwthing

Post Number: 1
In my car I have a Jenson JP1500 Powerstation tower (with a 15" driver). It is actually from a home audio system, and it is rated at 8 ohms. However, I want to hook it up to a car amplifier. The power tower there is rated at 500 watts peak (although it doesn't say what RMS). I have a few questions: What wattage amp would be ideal, rated at 4 ohms, for this 8 ohm speaker? If I just hooked up the driver instead of the mids and tweeters with it, do you think it would handle more power safely? I have limited resources $ wise (who doesn't), so I don't want to waste money and get a 15" car audio speaker (I got the tower for $30). I was just hoping I could get some decent sounding bass out of it, right now it is hooked up to the head unit (which is 20 rms, 50 peak) and it sounds decent. I am really curious what ten times the power would sound like!! Any help would be much appreciated.Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Toomuchsound

Staten island, N.y. Usa

Post Number: 70
i have 8 -8 ohm speakers in my car
it will sound fine i would jus put it to all pass
not low or high pass
thats really a voice speaker correct
i ahve all that in mine and it is damn loud
get like a 2 channel 800.4 rf that will work

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4084
Jensen makes poor products...anyway,

The RMS would probably be around 175-200w RMS...so you would have to get an amp that puts out 400w RMS @4 ohms or 800w RMS @2 ohms. You could hook up the midrange and tweeter as they really wouldn't make a difference.

Not to mention how crappy this is going to look :P

Bronze Member
Username: Toomuchsound

Staten island, N.y. Usa

Post Number: 71
i wouldnt even put it in
too much space and not that loud
go buy good door speakers and rear speakers and it will be more loud

Post Number: 2
Sorry kids...It's all I gots. If I wanted to drop 500 bucks on just getting my bass to sound decent, I would. However, I don't have that...I'm working with about 150 bucks to get probably a California Profile amp and a amp wiring kit with a .5 fared capacitor from Wal-Mart. I know this box is ridiculously large, I kind of like it like that. I just have a hatchback, and it's kind of fun to open it up and people are like "Uh...holy @#$#." I already have two 4" Infinity References in the front, and some 100 buck 6 by 9" Pioneers in the rear. Right now, however, I don't have the pioneers hooked up because those two wires are going to the RIDICULOUS box. I just want to free them up again to hook up to my Pioneers so that I have some highs in the back again. I don't really need the mids or tweeters of the POWER TOWER...so, I think I may hook the amp up directly to the woofer, with about 100 Hz lowpass filter. I'm a cheap basterd (or I'm poor), so I just can't afford to spend another 200 on a box and sub, and if I did it would STILL sound pretty shitty. SO...I just wanted some advice on the amount of wattage I should get for my amp.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4107
STOP. I know exactly what wiring kit you're talking about at Walmart...it's the Scosche 4 ga kit with that tiny cap, right?

You don't need that heavy of wiring, and you most definitely do not need a cap(the cap boosts the price about $60). Get a wiring kit without the cap and use the money from the cap towards a better amp.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jexx. Yeah, I probably will. I might still buy a heavy gauge wiring kit (no cap) in case in the future I somehow come into some money (Yes, I do work, but part time...min. wage...that sort of thing). That way I can still wire up a cap if I feel like it and can still put something crazy in there in the far, far, far off future (if my car lasts that long). So...anyways...thanks for the advice.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4122
Yeah, I don't want you spending money unnecessarily haha. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1875
hahahha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us