At what point do you need a new alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 65
I have two amplifiers. An MA audio HK400D and a Diamond audio D3400.4. I am looking into replacing the HK400D with a 1,000 watt monoblock. Will I need a new alternator? I have a 2001 F150 XL which already has a 110 amp alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4660
your stock should be able to push that 1000watts amp but you should still think about getting a ho alt. remember you stock alt is there to push your car electricals and your stock stereo. it doesn't leave too much room for a 1000watts amp.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3919
Yes you will need a new alternator. Most Fords use about 65A of current for the vehicle's electrical system. You have to add in the 200 watts or so from the other amp as well so you would have to be pushing around 1200 watts. That's 120A of current from the audio system alone. Even if it was 500watts RMS, you would still need 70A of free current from the alt.

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 71
Well I don't guess I will not be doing that any time soon. Too much money. My dad thinks I am already dumb for spending as much money as I have. Oh well It bumps pretty hard right now. I will just have to run my D9 10'' off of the current amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us