Coil Stink!!!

Silver Member
Username: Yamahabanshee1

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 358
Ok I bought a 15" Memphis Mojo Dual 2ohm and i had it hooked up to a Fusion 1404! subs in a 6.3 cuft box ported to 35hz. Well I took out the sub then put insulation in the box still using the same amp hooked up in 4ohm just like before! well i bought a memphis 1000D and hooked it up in 1ohm and now i have a lot of coil stink? it is cause the insulation in there or is it about to blow! the sub starts to blow out warm air after some abuse. There wasnt any coil stink with the fusion amp and now there is with this amp! it smells like weeds in ur yard and stuff! What should I do? Take out the insulation? Take the sub back? It isnt even a month old!

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 310
Sounds liek to me that now your actually powering the sub with some actually power its just burning in the coils.. simple break in

Silver Member

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 359
so u say just put it all back together and beat her to hell?

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 312
I'd run it a week at about half power before you started slamming on it but thats just me..

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1223
i would take the insulation out.. but polyfill in instead.. you dont want glass particals flying everywhere

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2071
it could be a couple of things, 1) the sub is finally getting real power and is just breaking in, or 2)the amp is clipping like h3ll and causeing the vc to get hot, which isn't good. and why did you add insulation, that makes the box seem bigger, but you allready have a huge box a lot bigger than recommened.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 844
memphis uses extra glue on there VCs dont worry bout it, itll burn off

Bronze Member
Username: I_likes_da_bass

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 66
Polyfill will make the speaker sound better? I had seen a box with some of that in it but didn't know why. Should I put some in my truck box?

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 523
i was getting that smell a little while ago with my clarion... not lately tho... what exactly does adding insulation do?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1178
you mean polyfill? i've never used it but you use it to make the sub play like it was in a bigger box. so if you don't have the room for a bigger box, you add a certain amount of polyfill.

Bronze Member

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 69
Is there a predetermined amount of polyfill you should add?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1183
found this info off other sites:

Using Poly-fill:

Enclosure sizes:
Poly-fill can be used to make an enclosure seem slightly larger. It does this by slowing the movement of the air in the enclosure. This, in effect, smoothes the frequency response of the subwoofer's output and slightly improves its low frequency extension. The effect is not very dramatic but using poly-fill in this manner can sometimes make a subwoofer sound better. 100% fill is equal to 1 pound of poly-fill per cubic foot of air space.

Standing Waves:
Standing waves are not usually a big problem in a subwoofer because it is usually crossed over. In other situations, like home speakers, poly-fill can be used to damp standing waves. In home speakers, the woofer is often used to reproduce a wider frequency range than it would be in a subwoofer. This creates the opportunity for standing waves to create problems. The wavelength is too long in the lowest frequencies to cause a problem but frequencies above 300 or 400hz will start to cause problems. This is especially true in ported boxes because the port creates a conduit through which the higher frequencies can pass (from the inside of the enclosure).

If you add 1lb of poly fill for every cubic foot of space, your subwoofer will act like the box is 1/3 bigger.

Bronze Member

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 70
Thats cool. Thanks man. I'll try that on my little sh1t box and see how it does.

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 529
now what is this polyfill and where to get it?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8690
i seen a few articles where polyfill doesnt do much 4 ported enclosures - if u understand how it actually works u will understand y

build/tune ur box correct in the 1st place ....

Silver Member

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 360
well actually memphis reccomends atleast 6.0cuft and i seen peeps with the mojo in a 7.5cuft box and i didnt really want to lose my back window! so to answer everys question insulation and polyfill trick the subwoofer into thinking it is ina bigger box so it hits low notes harder! i dont blv i am clipping the amp! the smell is starting to go away! only does it on LOW songs!

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1665
Poly fill isn't really meant to be used in ported enclosures...I've seen it used in some home audio speakers (old pair of 80's Realistic Nova-15's), and they sounded great.

But in reality, if the box is built and tuned correctly then the need for poly fill isn't there.

It's really for sealed enclosures to make them seem "bigger" to add to your dB output. However, after adding so much poly fill to a sealed enclosure, the jump in dB output, will eventually just level out and not increase anymore.

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 541
wouldnt notes sound softer? not have the thump as hard when it changes, if there insulation or sumthin in there?

Bronze Member

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 72
"i seen a few articles where polyfill doesnt do much 4 ported enclosures - if u understand how it actually works u will understand y

build/tune ur box correct in the 1st place ...."

My box is a prefab 10" sealed truck box. So theoretically my sub would hit a little bit harder and lower if I add the poly?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us