96 sunfire install help

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 318
Can anyone help me with installing a head unit in a 1996 sunfire for passlock antitheft? I'll put the stock hu in the glove compartment and install the stereo in the slot. Im not sure what to do.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 100
get your owners manual first and make sure you unlock your stock hu. then take it out and buy a wiring harness for the new hu and off ya go. the wiring is pretty self explanitory, but if u need help with specifics, come back here

Silver Member

Sask Canada

Post Number: 319
But the antitheft the way I understand it is if you unhook the power the radio wont work. I think you have to mount the stock hu in the trunk or glove compartment and tie into the wires from there. Will this work?

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 103
no i have a 98 malibu and it had the anti-theft lock thing and all you do is unlock it and take it out and install your new head unit and it works fine.

Silver Member

Sask Canada

Post Number: 320
Ok, I'll do that then. What does it mean to 'unlock' the head unit? I dont have the car this is going into so I can't look at the manual yet. Thanks for the help btw, appreciate it.

Silver Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 105
well when you get the car, look at the manual and read the directions on how to unlock the anti-theft and how to lock it just so you know whats going on. Trust me read the whole thing cuz I screwed up not reading it all before i went to work and i was p!ssed off.

anyhow do that and make sure its unlocked, then just take it out and install the new one and you are good to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us