Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4255
yes

Bronze Member
Username: 69vwvan

Winamac, Indiana USA

Post Number: 46
even if i have the gain set right and everything? its 110 clean.

Bronze Member
Username: Bretzy1990

Springfield, Il U.S.

Post Number: 89
it will prolly catch on fire

Gold Member
Username: Alex_f

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1130
that wont happen^. listen, a sx can take a lot of power, and 110 is not going to cut it.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4256
if you try to compensate the low output by increasing the gain, you will clip it to death. you can match the gain with your hu and you will be fine but it will sound like sh!t.

Bronze Member

Indiana USA

Post Number: 47
i know that.. all i have is 110 right now. the sub is brand spankin new, first time its seen any power at all. i was just figuring id hook it up to this 110 to break it in. then get a bigger amp to power it.
i just dont see how underpowering it will hurt my sub. but i dont want to keep it hooked up if its going to hurt it.

Bronze Member

Indiana USA

Post Number: 48
i have the amp running my rear and the sub. the gains are more or less matched

Bronze Member

Indiana USA

Post Number: 49
bump

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4257
if the gains are matched then you are fine. like i said it will sound like crap but you won't hurt it.

Bronze Member

Indiana USA

Post Number: 50
ok. you're right. it doesnt sound the greatest, but hopefully ill be getting a new amp soon. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1212
underpowering a sub will never hurt it unless your amp is clipping. it just wont be able to reach full excursion and with 110watts it wont do much at all.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3347

quote:

underpowering a sub will never hurt it unless your amp is clipping.

That's a myth.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php? p_sid=Zsh-Y1ci&p_lva=&p_faqid=63&p_created=965346111&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3 dfY250PTIxNSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

"The "Dirty" Truth About Distortion
Contrary to popular belief, distortion does not cause speaker damage. Distortion is merely the audible detection of signal "clipping". Clipping is when an audio component can no longer provide enough power supply voltage to "cleanly" amplify the audio signal. Clipping can occur at any point in the signal chain (souce unit, signal processor, amplifier, etc.) The popular belief is that if an amplifier "clips" it will send D.C. current to the speaker's voice coil and "burn" it. THIS IS NOT TRUE. It would surprise you to realize nearly every car audio system's amplifier "clips" when listening to music at moderate -to- loud levels. Electrically overpowering a speaker is caused by continually playing the audio system loud, resulting in applying more power to the speaker than it's "rated" specifications. This is what causes speaker voice coils to "burn".
"

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4259
jexx how about it he feels that its not loud enough so he decides to turn the gain full on his amp. wouldnt that burn the vc by clipping it?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3356
Nah, it wouldn't burn the voice coil. But like you said, it's going to sound like crap; it will be sending a clipped signal and will be underpowered. I've tried similar setups before out of boredom haha. The only thing he's risking is burning up the amp or causing it to shut down prematurely from all the heat with the input sensitivity turned up all the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us