PWeird Smell

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Post Number: 103
i recently jus bought 2 brand new pioneer premier 10' shallow mount subs. and i have an infinity ref. 611a wit the subs at 4 ohms the amp is pushin 456 watts x 1 and thats how i have it wired and the amp is only turned to "half" on the dial.. so i know they are getting to much power they are rms'ed at 250 a peice so i dont know if its the new smell or the box carpet getting hot or maybe the box addhesive.. i dont know... is something really bad wrong... i need help...

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
BUMP....

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 713
Do you have single voice coil, if its wired down to 2 ohms this may explain. What are the voice coils? Single 4 ohms, or duel 4 ohms, or duel 2 ohms?
657 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms,

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
single vc..at 4 ohms at 456 x 1 @ 4ohms... and the gain is only half way

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 714
Right, but if you have 2 subs the ohms will be 2 ohms

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=SVC4

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
yeah i knew that.. but they arent bridged... i have 4 speaker terminals... (+)(-)(+)(-) and with all four wires in that should be four ohms... thats what the guy at best buy told me... he said if i twisted the wire and put it in one pos and one neg that then it would be running at at 2 ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
BUMP<><<>

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1977
dude that amp does 400wrms at 1 channel bridged, so if your running one sub to each channel at 4ohms your subs are only seeing maybe 100wrms each. so the smell is probally the VC getting hot from the amp clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 462
i got funny smell, when the wires melting when they get too hot, when the speaker getting way too much power, or plastic or sumthin else burning.
i make sure not to keep sub up oud continuosly, and i have much thicker wire to every thing eccept RMT.

Silver Member
Username: Sweet_subs

Memphis, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 129
lol that happend to me when i sent an audiobahn only 350 rms and the whole vc melted and ran down hte side lol so i took it would and smashed it with a sledge hammer not more junk audiobahn. lol ha ha ha my dad even had some fun iwth it tooo. and now that i have a system he is gettin one that wil kill mine what an @ss hole lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Genocyde21

Post Number: 46
If they are brand new, its not uncommon to have a weird smell. It might just be the subwoofer naturally burning off the glue that is on the voice coil...

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2563
first off that amp is seeing a 2 ohm load if your running 2 4ohm speakers on it, it is internally bridging the speakers, the 2 sets of terminals just makes it easier to wire., your sending more then rms to them subs.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 716
This is the amps specs; 657 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms / 2
Thats what ive been trying to tell you. Each sub is seeing ~ 353.5 wrms each....No wonder you smell burning. Did you look at the link I sent you? Regardless of sales mans rambles, those subs present either a 2 or 8 ohm load no matter how you wire em.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 717
This may interest you too.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/228412.html

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 516
im guessing you have this amp
http://cgi.ebay.de/Infinity-Reference-611a-Mono-Amp-Ref611a-REF-611-a_W0QQitemZ4 635527069QQcategoryZ57300QQcmdZViewItem

ya ur running a 2 ohm load with those subs then. what rms are the subs?

if the subs are 350rms ones, then they are wired fine.

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 720
^^^^His subs are 250wrms. and also, correction on that last post 657/2 = 328.5wrms. Still 78.5 wrms over subs rms.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2571
and pioneers have never been know as a sturdy sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
then how can i wire it to a 4 ohm load

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 731
You cant, Either a 2 or 8, Man, are you checking out the links posted?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
yeah i am.. then how come the amp said it could be wired at ohms... even if my subs are at 2 ohms the gain is still only half way and he bassboost is at 1/4 so its still not getting all its power... but thanks ne wayz

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
i called my friend at best buy who sold me the amp and he said if i had the speakers hooked up to the two channels taht it would be at four ohms. and if i bridged it that then and only then would it be at two ohms.. he is coming down to look at it 2maro

Bronze Member
Username: I_likes_da_bass

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 37
When I had my premier SPL 12's, I had a horrid smell come from them that I wasn't able to locate before I traded off the car. I just figured it was the amp getting to hot on the back of the seat, or the speakers heating up the glue on the boxes.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 524
quote: ^^^^His subs are 250wrms. and also, correction on that last post 657/2 = 328.5wrms. Still 78.5 wrms over subs rms.

lol why would that matter. a sub can take more rms that it is. some can even take 2 or 3 times there rms like a treo...so what the hell are you talking about.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1329
i think your amplifier is clippin, when aplifiers clip send a dangerous signal to your subs and gettin damaged, and make sure u got good ported box, the box can estress the woofer too, do the big 3, or replace your altenator and check your gains, cables and ground

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
my amp has a clip light on it.. and the manual says the clip light is supposed to blink when it hits the highs of the music... but not to stay on constantly.. and mine is jus blinking on the high points of the music. and what norris said.. my gain is only HALF... its really thr getting like 170 or sumting like that.. and my box is sealed... its in an f150 and with about .55 cu ft... we didnt really have many options on box building.... i do also have another amp in my truck its an alpine v-power for the infinity kappa door speakers.. would taht amp make a differece onthe subs performance.. they arent linked together they are jus run to the battery sepperatly... idk...

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 733
"i called my friend at best buy who sold me the amp and he said if i had the speakers hooked up to the two channels taht it would be at four ohms. and if i bridged it that then and only then would it be at two ohms.. he is coming down to look at it 2maro"
Its a mono amp. there are 2 sets of terminals for eaisier wire configs, but it is bridged on the inside. Mono, 1 channel. Personally, I bought a new infinity four channel, used it for a day and then returned it. Was not happy with its performance. and the clip light did just blink on high notes.
And Norris, I didnt say putting more rms into a sub was bad,Provided it is a good quality sub/amp combo. I am just giving amp/sub specs. I would be weary putting rated rms into any Pioneer, ecspecialy with a high distortion amp like Infinity.
Chase, did you try to wire em up at 8 ohms just to see if the smell goes away?

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
i cant wire it at 8 ohms. they are in seperate boxes underneath the rear seats. so it would be hard to wire it correctly... would it be easier jus to buy a premier amp thats the rms of both together at 2 ohms jus to get the worry out of the way???

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
it didnt bump^^^^^
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us