Amp Question

Username: Jmaster

Post Number: 1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I have a car amp (Pyramid Pro Plus (PB-300P) ) and I want to use it indoors. as part of my computer's audio system but my issue is with the power. I need something that will convert ac 120v to dc 12v so I can use it. This is where im lost. I don't really care about cost, I just would need to know what to buy. I think its probably some sort of power supply but im not sure about amperage ect.

Thank You,
JMASTER

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 292
your house power is DC not AC, but you need the amp to run on AC. look online for power converters. make sure your amp doesnt pull to many amps that your converter cant handel.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1070
A computer power source can do this. :-) How many watts is that amp? Too lazy to look it up.. A computer power source might not be enough.

Post Number: 3
It's 300 wats, my computer psu is 480w, if i bought a cpu 300 wat psu, how could i use it, where is the +12v and the GRD?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Snopro4ever

Post Number: 61
umm mat i think your wrong.. i believe batteries are dc and wall outlet is ac...

Post Number: 4
Yes, you are right Snopro, an AC Outlet from North America is 120v and a battery or car battery is DC direct Current

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 411
Get a car battery charger, 10 -20 amp. use that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
20 amps isnt enough.

To use your computer power source, you will need to take the piece that plugs into the motherboard, and take something like a paperclip (or cut the wires) and bridge the green wire (normally) and the black wire. This will make it think it's plugged into a motherboard, and power up.

To get the current you need to the amplifier, you need to use one of the red wires (or yellow will work in most cases) and plug it into your 12V+ of the amplifier, and the black into the ground. For your remote, you should just take a wire from you 12V+, into your remote power, possibly with a switch between it, so you could turn it on, and off, at will.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 416
Your saying that a computers power supply can power a car amp? @480watts?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 417
This might help. I dont think a computer power supply would work. But im not sure.
theory: if car alt is putting out 100 amps, and that just feeds an amp, Well most homes only have 100 amp service. So you would need all the homes juice to supply one amp? Again AC/DC comes into play, but still a 3.3v power supply, unlikly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
A computer power supply turns the AC current into DC, and normally lists the wattage on it. If it can supply the amount of wattage required, it should be ok. (volts x amps = watts)

Computer power supplies are also 12 volts, and should list their wattage even. (many are in excess of 500 watts).

If you're trying to use any power coming from a home plug, without converting it to DC first, you risk really damaging your electronics, as it's 120 volt output. (Houses use AC current, as AC current can be supplied at much great amounts through smaller wires) Can you imagine how huge telephone wires would have to be, afterall, if they used DC current??

Username: Dankone

Post Number: 1
I GOT AN KICKER KX200.2 AMP. IS IT GOOD FOR TWO KICKER COMP C12 SUBS.

Post Number: 5
Thank you all, when I get time, il go buy a cheap 29$ 300w psu & try it out!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us