Alpine CDA-9855

Username: Bhaering

Post Number: 5
Good or bad? I really like the display, what are you suggestions?

Username: Rc_raycer

Post Number: 6
I just installed one in my car. It is the top of the line Alpine for "05". It is easily one of the best headunits out there. It sounds perfectly clear and the display is very bright and easy to see in the sun. It has built in active crossovers as well as a graphic and parametric equalizer. Glidetouch takes a minute to get used to but it makes it much easier and faster to go through the menu's. It is also i-personalize compatable to make it easier to adjust the equalizer and time correction.

Overall i highly recommend this headunit, you won't be disapointed. It runs about $500 from an authorized Alpine dealer.

Cool, have you used an iPod through it, not using the aux. inputs, but using the adapter?

I want to know how fast the scrolling is, like going through your artists and stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Masse1369

Post Number: 12
i dont know about the ipod speed but i just bought one too with the ipod adapter but have not installed it yet. it has to be one of the best head units on the market. i bought mine from sound advice for $450 and they have a trade in thing for one year. if you want to upgrade within a year they will give you 100% towards the purchase of another item. not a bad deal. anyway just some fyi.

Username: Rc_raycer

Post Number: 7
no i haven't used the ipod adapter but i would imagine that it would be as fast as the ipod itself

SteveBo
Unregistered guest
I got mine installed Saturday with both the ipod adapter and XM. Overall it is excellent. The glidetouch thing does take some getting used to. It is not as easy to navigate as the iPod itself. I hope it becomes more intuitive with use. I find it much more difficult than the iPod to find songs I want. The sound and features are definitely among the best available right now. Excellent piece of technology that is thoroughly enjoyable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Sounds good. My buddy has it for a 2004 deck, the iPod Adapter, and getting to the middle of the alphabet is pointless, cause the scrolling doesn't move as fast as you scroll? Like it loads for days. Are you having that problem?

Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

My friend had me install one in his car. Nice little deck! A little too fancy for me, the little glide dilly is stupid if you ask me, but maybe I'm just old skewl. I love my CDA-9833!!!

(I'm still crying over my first scratch on the face!)

My friend had me install one in his car. Nice little deck! A little too fancy for me, the little glide dilly is stupid if you ask me, but maybe I'm just old skewl. I love my CDA-9833!!!

Username: Zero7404

Post Number: 1
i originally had a 9833 deck in use with the adapter, connected to stock speakers. i liked it alot so i went and upgraded to an entire system and it was phenomenal ! but when i had a look @ the 9855 @ a store, i decided to buy it and swap out decks. i like the interface/display, it's suave and very cool. much more advanced than the 9833 (more like the 35). but one thing that i don't quite get is how Alpine made the 55 with a lower price tag than the 35 ? i called Alpine to ask some ipod related questions and also asked about this price discrepancy and the circiutry used. i think the 33 uses butterworth processors, and the newer 55 does not (Alpine confirmed). does anyone notice sound quality differences between the older and newer decks ? i've noticed it gives a tad bit more distortion near the volume limit (35). it took a little more tweaking on the deck and the rest of the system to get the volumes to where i wanted. and media xpander sounds different.

Alpine cda-9855
Alpine kca-420i
Audison LRx 2.250
Audison LRx 2.500
MB Quart QSD 216
JL Audio CVS210RG-10W6v2

JoeLD
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've had the CDA 9855 for several days, and unlike others, I find the display rather dim and difficult to see in the sunlight. I can't seem to find a way to increase the brightness, even though the cheaper 9853 unit does have contrast adjusmment. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Joe

Post Number: 2
no you aren't, i believe alpine botched this design up pretty bad. there are things mentioned in the manual that don't appear on the deck. i have not seen contrast adjust anywhere in the menus. only thing close to it is dimmer settings.
i think i'm going to call them up again and let them know about this, if they fix these issues in a later build i want to be on thier list of people to get one.

JoeLD
Unregistered guest
OK, thanks for your post. I've just about memorized the manual, and a call to Alpine indeed confirmed that there is no adjustment in this model. I also think the glide bar tends to require a bit more attention than one should provide while driving, so I think Alpine has an opportunity for improvment.

Thanks.

Joe

Post Number: 3
i had more time this weekend to mess with the 9855. it is actually not that bad a deck. i rescend my premature distortion prediction. i messed with the gain on my amps and the crossover in the deck and got the sound to where i want it. with the volume cranked to 30 it still sounded pretty clean.

overall it's a cool deck, it just feels a little different from the 9833. one kwirk that i'm having a fit over is how i am unable to scroll thru songs within a playlist (being able to see the song titles in a search mode) when i'm playing music in that playlist. the 9833 was able to do that, but with the 9855, it will only display the contents of the playlist when you initially select the playlist and begin playback. after that, the file button defaults to search playlist/artist/album.

Username: Nowdsa

I bought a CDA-9855 last week and am having the worst problems with the face communicating with unit. It seems whenever it feels like it, the Power Ind light will flash rapidly which indicates something on the faceplate is being accessed. I have cleaned the gildebar, the contacts on the back, made sure that the unit was mounted securely; anything that could be causing the problem. I contacted Alpine tech support today and they said they heard of this happening with one other customer but they had the 9853. The problem with that unit was there was a button being pressed. I dont have anything being pressed. Its a real pain in the side b/c I cant do anything with the unit until I get lucky and unit sees the face plate ok. Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so, or if you have heard, any real way to fix it?

Post Number: 4
go around the entire face and press each button while its on the deck, to make sure there's no button that's stuck. if you still have the problem, then i am sure the person you bought it from would have no problem swapping it for a new deck for you, after all you do have 1 year warranty on alpine stuff.

Yea there are no buttons stuck, just, I guess, a bad connection somewhere. This really sucks, Ive only had it 8 days and now its broke. I cant tell if its the face plate or the unit that has the problem.

EddieM
Unregistered guest
I just installed the 9855, and am having the same exact problem as Steve, with the indicator light blinking, and the glide strip is unresponsive. The unit was OK for about a week, but then all of a sudden it just went bad. I have been using Alpine products for years, and they have always been great. I hope they can fix the bugs in this unit, because it has a lot of potential.

it sounds like a bad batch. i still say go return it, Alpine will give you a new one.

as far as glidetouch, it does not work linear. for example, sometimes i slide my finger across and it will scroll past many items, and other times i'd have to slide my finger more than once to get it to scroll 1 item. it's like i have to almost dig my finger into the strip and press down, but when i do that, i wind up pressing the glidetouch switch down and selecting something i don't want. maybe if the strip sticks out of the panel a little more that would be nice.

on a different topic, i have questions about crossover adjustment, can anyone help ? my amplifiers are configured with crossover settings, hipass for the component amp, and lowpass for the sub amp. both have been set to the same cutoff frequency and filtered to only those frequencies set up. now what happens when i go set up a crossover in the hu as well ? my audio shop said it's not the 'ideal' thing to do because the amp will take the crossed over signal and and use that in it's crossover network, and some frequencies might be missing from the sound.

cda-9855
kca-420i
audison LRx 2.250
audison LRx 2.500
MB Quart QSD 216
JL Audio CVS210RG-10W6v2

Unregistered guest
I too am having the same blinking power light problem. Seems to me that if I tilt the face plate, or move it around a little when its connected, the light stops blinking but after a while will continue again. Oterwise I love the deck!!! I purchased it with the iPod adapter and love the way it works. I think I'm going to have to replace the deck though because I've tried everything to remedy the problem with no avail.

Unregistered guest
I'm from sweden and i have the same problem with the touchpanle.. the indikator just blinks wild.. it started after one day.

Unregistered guest
That's four separate people with the same problem. Curious... My question is: has anyone with the CDA-9855 NOT experienced this problem and has had the deck for several weeks? Obviously the problem spans over several decks and seems to be a manufacturing flaw, but is the problem evident in all CDA-9855's or just a hand full? Very disappointing to say the least.

I had my deck installed by Best Buy; which has proven to be quite a pain. When they installed the front speakers in my '95 del Sol they didn't install the 0.5 inch spacer; so my windows wouldn't go up all the way. The speaker blocked the window bracket. Then I found out they didn't install the illumination lead, so I had to take my car back a second time. On top of all that it looks like I'm going to have to take it back a third time for them to switch out the whole deck for a new one. Hopefully the new deck won't have the same problem. Grrrrr... What a pain!

i have had the deck about 1 week (today) and haven't had this problem yet. if (or when) i do have the problem i'll call alpine directly rather than go to the store i bought it from, because the store might have more defective models. curious if anyone has called them to see if they are aware of this ? it's a pretty messed up thing to happen to a $ 500 deck....

is the software this deck uses upgradable (firmware) ? if so then maybe they can also fix the lack of features this deck exhibits over the 2004 line.

I contacted my brother who I bought the unit from. He called Alpine and so did the dealer and Alpine verified there was a problem with batch of these. The face plates are defective. I am going to get my exchanged next week since he just got a fresh order from their factory today. I suggest you all do the same. Oh, i dont know if this is releveant or not, but my manufacturing date is Feb/2005, what about everyone elses? What are your dates? Maybe it was during this time the units were bad?

L. J. Jones
Unregistered guest
Aye i as well as my friend who is a Authorized Dealer for them called and talked to one of the guys at Alpine's Customer Service and they confirmed there was a bad shipment on the CDA-9855 (which Alpine do NOT like to say). I would watch any decks bought anywhere from a week to a month ago and keep an eye on it. My thing is it would seem that something you run ur finger across would have some kinda sensor and that was the problem.

Jean Burger
Unregistered guest
I just got the CDA-9855 installed yesterday. The sound quality is great with my rockford speakers and JL subwoofer. I'm still not used to the touch glide bar. I had to play with it a bit to get my iPod working through the AUX-IN. I just have the shuffle so I didn't see the point in gettting the adapter. After I got it working, my display went out. If I change the channel or volume it comes back on for a second, but then goes off again. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem? I can't seem to get the display back on and I can't find anything in the manual on it.

Post Number: 8
if you press func. for about 5 sec. the display should come back on and stay on. you do see information displayed without issues when you press buttons, right ? you most likely pressed down the bar for a few seconds and it went into blackout mode. this should work.

Jean Burger
Unregistered guest
Thanks Chris. You were right. It's working now. I didn't know anything about blackout mode.

Post Number: 9
not a problem....i don't think it's even in the book. with the 9833 u'd hold down 'disp' but this time around there is no display button....go figure.

i wish Alpine was more computer literate, and had dicussion forums for us to chatter about thier products.

Unregistered guest
Well at least Alpine admitted to the problem. I just exchanged my defective deck, guess I better watch the new one I got. Did Alpine verify if they had fixed the defect in the new shippments?

Post Number: 10
yes they did. it is fixed on new decks shipped recently. at least that's what they told me. i've had mine now 9 days (and counting), the problem still hasn't surfaced for me. when (or if) it does, i will be in a world of sh*t without music while on the road since i go away on weekends. man, i don't even want to think about it.....my amps will probably start rotting without something to amplify.......

Username: Webmailer

Hi. my Woodstock DAB52 car radio by Blaupunkt stopped working today.

I installed it yesterday and it worked all day, but today I put in a C.D and it stopped working.

What could be wrong with the unit????

XiaoGary
Unregistered guest
Mine alpine 9853 has a CD stuck inside. The face plate doesnt tilt down when I press open. The tilt function suppose to have 3 settting for tilt angle, now the tilt angle cannot be adjusted. Now matter waht I press, the face plate dont tilt down and my disc is stuck inside. The disc can be played though with hundreds of mp3s inside.

I read the manual, it states the player can be powered on with all buttons including the sliding touch button except the "title" and "eject". My girl fren might have used the eject button while the player is off and maybe that cost the tilt mechanism to malfunction. No error message is shown. Now I cannot change disc.

Anyone has the same problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
have you tried disconnecting the deck from power ? try disconnecting the battery (red) and reconnecting it after 1 min. or pull the deck and unplug the harness and wait 1 min. when you plug it back in, it may work. give that a try and if it doesn't work, try the place where you bought it from, they can exchange it for a new one.

Anonymous

I have a 9855 with mrd m501 and KCE-510m and dont work pleases i need help--

Username: Primuz

Sweden

It helps if u write down what is wrong with it.. And now after that my 9855 crash down one of the amplifer dies.. God dont want me to have any carstereo :-( Have they who sent ther 9855 back to alpine get new ones or just a new front ?

Unregistered guest
My Alpine 9855 no detect my amp. Alpine AMP MRD-M501 with the Alpine Amplifier Link KCE-510M i dont knoe why.

dodgethis
Unregistered guest
I recently bought an Alpine 9855 deck and after hooking everything up, I had no sound what so ever. I double checked all the connections and they were right. Deck powers on and is working correctly. Let me know what you all think. Installed deck in 2002 Dodge Ram.
Thanks!
Andy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
go to the setup menu, and go to either General or Audio. in there there is a 'Power IC' setting. change it. i am assuming it is off and you've hooked it up so you're using the decks internal amp for your speakers.

dodgethis
Unregistered guest
Checked it and it was on. Would the fuse on the back of the deck be apart of the internal amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
from my experience, when power ic is on, the decks' internal amp is on, so if all your wires are correct, you should be hearing sound. that's a big if. you should check the lines running to the components if you are not sure. if the wiring is correct, then i would say the deck is bad.

assuming it's the deck that has the problem, i have never seen an electronic product released with so many different problems as this one. this is hurting alpine's reputation.
i am now @ 1.5 weeks with mine and haven't seen any of these issues that have been posted so far. hopefully it'll stay that way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
i think if the fuse blew, then the deck would not turn on.

dodgethis
Unregistered guest
Weird thing is that this deck was the demo and it was working at the time that I bought it. I'll go through tomorrow and triple check my wiring.
Thanks for the help

Username: Dpnaugle

I bought the CDA 9851 Saturday in Berkeley CA. I have been talking with a shop in Palo Alto CA that said they were back ordered on that unit for weeks that Alpine is not shipping anything right now. Well today I told the guy in PA that I got it in Berkeley and he mentioned to me that the CDA models 9855, 9853, 9851 released in January were all recalled in Febuary for some unexplained reason. He also said that he believes the problem, whatever it is has been fixed and if I got a unit that was shipped after feb I should be fine. Well I DON'T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING, but that story along with what I am reading here has me a bit worried. Maybe I will look at returning the 9851 and exchange it for say the 9831 or 33 ???

Has anyone heard this??

Sweden

When i tried to order one 9835 from germany they told me that they were stop manufacturing 9835 and i got the 9855.

Sweden

The dealer that i bought it from is calling alpine tomorrow, so i will probobley get a new one. or else ill just get my money back and get an old 9835

SAKAL
Unregistered guest
Well i have the Power Ic off because i have external amp for the speakers, the problem is the mrd m501 is for the bass, is working but no have comunication between HU 9855 and the amp mrd m501 with the amplifier link, i asked to crutchfield and don't tell me anything, y asked alpine Spain and tell me that the HU only work's with amp's of the same year. but he tell me only in europe.. if anybody have another answer please let me know.

Username: Crazhorse

I've had my 9855 since the first of may, its worked fine then yesterday all of a sudden I start getting bad electrical whine and my sub goes in and out thudding. I have gone through my stereo and everything looked fine so I got out my 9833 and put it in and no more whine or sub thumping. Anybody know what could be wrong with the 9855 ?

Josh h.
Unregistered guest
Hey everybody, just bought a CDA-9855 from Best Buy on 5/07/05, and installed it on 5/10. The unit sounds absolutlely great but I am having the glide touch bar problems also. In the Easy Menu mode where you can select Media Expander, Multi color illumination...........and so on, the glide touch will not budge. I will have to run my finger over it about 5 to 6 times to move down the list. In menus where you have to move straight linear, it will work a little better, but still not right. I checked the manufacture date and it was made on feb 22, 2005. Is this a bad deck or am i just not using the glide touch right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
john/josh

it's a bad deck. go exchange it, it's the only thing you can do. make sure you get one with a very recent manufacture date.

I was the first to post this issue on this board with the 9855. My manufacture date is 2/2005. I would suspect any decks during that time will have this issue. I am planning to finally exchange my deck this weekend and first thing I will look for is that date. When you exchange yours have them check the date before you leave the store. If all they have is the 2/2005 units, I would just get a refund and wait til they get a fresh batch.

Sweden

which manufacturing date are they working after ? 2005/04 ?

Josh h.
Unregistered guest
so the glide touch should not be difficult to use by having to repeatedly run your finger across it at times to get it to move? I'm thinking just the slightest touch in either direction should move it through the list. Does anyone with a good glide touch just barely have to touch it and it moves through the list?

i had no probs with the glide touch itself, id think you'd not want it too sensitive or you'd be constantly missed the function your trying to get at...... it just took me getting used to the control

Johan - I dont know the exact safe date, but it seems everyone that is now having problems are relating to units back in Feb 2005. They had a recall on the unit said someone here, so I would think 4/2005 would be safe but there again, im not sure.

Josh - The glide touch is sensitive but barely touching it shouldnt shift through the menu by itself. Does your Power Ind light rapidly blink without you touching it? If so, you could have a defective face like some others here have had. When my unit was working, I had no probs navigating through the menu using the glide touch. Its not that sensitive.

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
ok, i was thinking that the glide touch is supposed to be as sensitive as a laptop mouse, you barely touch it and it goes. The light does not go on and off though without touching the glide touch though. I guess the touch pad is just going to take some getting used to, it seemed after playing with it more today it was easier though. One pass in the easy menu on mine will go through 2 maybe 3 headings (one full swipe of the glide touch)

Anonymous

bestbuy 449+tax but you have the 4year fix/replacement warranty for an additional $60

Glide touch is very fast in ipod menu. Just got mine with the sirius, and now i need new speakers :-(

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
Best Buy-$404.99 plus tax.......lol, the guy gave me a good deal when it was already on sale.

I notice that the glide touch is working better by focusing on sliding the white strip rather than the whole thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
so far, it has been 3 weeks and 1 day since i got my deck and have not had a problem. i will check my manufacture date anyway because the glidetouch has not been excatly smooth as it is on the store model. sometimes a small slide (near the center) will scroll many playlists. other times it takes a few slides to go to the next playlist.
anyone else experience something like that ?

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
Hey, what are some good speakers that are relatively well priced, (not top of the line, but close to it) and will sound real good on a 2000 Honda Civic? Rockford, sony, Pioneer?

I have the 9855, but I think its output is a little to strong for my speakers, thanks for the help guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Csfan14

Panama City Beach, Fl Usa

Post Number: 22
i would go with pioneer.
You have 6.5's in your front so i would go with these
ebay item # 5774248434
And you have 6x9's IN the back so i would go with these
Ebay item # 5773060214

Username: Djbit

Does this deck have mono subwoofer line outs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Josh,
i suggest MB Quart

Alex,
this deck has stereo subwoofer output. you can set your amp to mono.

Username: Djbit

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting this deck next month.

Bronze Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 93
to all of u with this deck and with previous experience with the alpine 9835. is the 9855 better than the 9835. i wanted to know to see if i should upgrade.

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
great, thanks for the help Mick and Chris. What is the max watts that I should be looking at or other specs that I should know about when looking at speakers? I eventually plan on buying an amp and some subs, but it will probably be just an average system that hits pretty hard, nothing too spectacular. With the speakers I have now, I think they are some older pioneers, on rap songs with good bass to them at about 19 volume, it starts to sound sort of bad, the bass in the speakers sounds like crap in other words. Are good quality speakers going to enable you to play good bass songs without much distortion at high volume or is that only with high dollar speakers? thx again for the help guys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Vang,
i have experience with the 33 (not the 35) and i found that some features have been eliminated from the new line. i think contrast went away, and ipod search features have been limited. not sure about what other features have changed between the 2 (35 and 55). i would suggest going to a retail store to check out the 55.

Josh,
if you are going to upgrade to a system, components are a matter of taste. among the best are Focal and MB Quart. you'd probably want speakers that can handle between 75 - 200 WRMS, otherwise your sub will overpower your components. as for subs, you are best off with JL Audio. i've heard some others (Alpine, etc.) they just don't deliver. JL enclosures are expensive, but they sound incredible. for example, i use a CVS210RG-10W6v2 sealed enclosure (2 10" W6 drivers) in my 99 accord, and if i crank it, the bass will jarr the entire car's interior. i feel it thru the floor when driving @ 75 mph, and that's not even @ the subs' optimum power level (i feed it with 660 WRMS, it is designed to be fed with 800 WRMS).

yeah these sets are expensive, but they are worth it. sorry, i have no experience with pioneer or other marks in pro car audio to give you advice on that.

amplifiers are also a matter of taste, but you get what you pay for. i think the hierchy in the food chain goes something like this: 1-mcintosh, 2-xtant, 3-audison, 4-jl audio, 5-alpine, etc...
it depends on the line of amplifer, some of these manufacturers offer models that cost $ 1000's more and are used in competition.

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
Where are the best places to buy MB Quarts and Pioneers and other good speakers besides Ebay? So, should a good set of speakers.....lets say 6 by 9s in the back and 6.5s in the front be able to play good rap bass songs at high volume without much distortion? Like I said in the last post, with my new 9855 on rap songs with heavy bass, the speakers start distorting at about 20 when the bass hits......media expander is off and factory EQ is on flat, the lowest settings that i Know of. I couldnt imagine trying to use rock or rap EQ's and the media expander on with good volume, are the MB quarts and other top brands supposed to take this power and make it sound healthy?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
the music starts distorting because your speakers are getting full range. you need to adjust the crossovers in the deck to eliminate distortion @ the volume you r listening to music. components are stated to handle full range, but in most cases people set a cutoff of about 80-100 Hz, and send everything below that to the subwoofer. your speakers are trying to reproduce everything down to 20 Hz but they can't handle that much and the power from the 55's internal amp is really cheazy (18 WRMS, what the hell is that ?). since you like rap, then i strongly suggest an entire system with a ported subwoofer, like the JL H.O. Wedge W7 series.

bottom line is you don't really need rears. they are just used for fill. when driving, you are moving forward, and the speakers in the rear deck have to push sound toward you, against the direction of the car. not really optimal, but people still do it. also, if you have a subwoofer in the trunk, then the air pressure generated by the sub will interfere with your rear speakers reproducing sound. i had my stock rears disconnected (but left in place) and when the subwoofer hits the rears actually move because of the air pressure.

Mattheeew
Unregistered guest
has anyone tried installing both XM and Sirius plus iPod? i was told with enough adapters the 9855 was the unit that could do all 3. any other ideas?

RBH
Unregistered guest
Did anyone have problems getting the 9855 remote to work at first? I was told the the remote itself needs to be turned on / activated by the head unit. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Ok, this unit is frustrating me also. I have a CDA-9855 I bought from OnlineCarStereo.com and it's been acting up ever since a few days after I bought it.

The Glide Touch strip has been acting up. Parts of it won't register when I'm touching it. For example, if I am in AM/FM mode and want to access Preset 1 or 3, it doesn't register and selects #6 instead. The others "areas" of the strip work fine.

NOW today, my CD is stuck inside. If I press the Eject button, it beeps and says "Open" on the display, but nothing else happens.

I've tried resetting the deck twice, both times nothing has fixed my problems.

And now that I've rest the deck, I can't adjust the date/time correctly since the Glide Touch strip won't let me select the proper month!!!

I called Alpine and they told me to call Onlinecarstereo.com, but I have this feeling they are not going to allow me to return it since it's been about a month. Most likely I'll have to pay $95 for Alpine to fix it.

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
great information Chris, now where exactly do i go in the 55's menu to access the crossover settings? So what would you recommend setting the Hz at with just Pioneer 6 by 9s in the back and 6's up front?

About the speaker and air movement while driving, I always thought that your rear speakers are supplying all the bass and the deep trebles that puts power behind your song, so the fronts are more important in the vocals or the other bass and trebles that come out in your music is what your saying?

Negatize, once the deck flips open after you press eject sometimes the cd will not come out by itself and you will have to press eject again?
What is the manufacture date of your deck? If you skim through this whole thread you can get an idea of the problem diagnosing that can help you out. On mine, the glide touch actually started working better with time, or it was just that i got used to it.

Josh H.
Unregistered guest
great information Chris, now where exactly do i go in the 55's menu to access the crossover settings? So what would you recommend setting the Hz at with just Pioneer 6 by 9s in the back and 6's up front?

About the speaker and air movement while driving, I always thought that your rear speakers are supplying all the bass and the deep trebles that puts power behind your song, so the fronts are more important in the vocals or the other bass and trebles that come out in your music is what your saying?

Negatize, once the deck flips open after you press eject sometimes the cd will not come out by itself and you will have to press eject again?
What is the manufacture date of your deck? If you skim through this whole thread you can get an idea of the problem diagnosing that can help you out. On mine, the glide touch actually started working better with time, or it was just that i got used to it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
if you choose to use rears, then the cutoff frequency for the rears should fall lower than the cutoff for the fronts. the fronts are there to provide higher frequencies than the rears. i would suggest a cutoff of 80-100 Hz for your rears and maybe 100-120 for your fronts. you can also adjust the slope of the signal to your liking. "F1" is usually denoted as the crossover point and is commonly 3 dB below the signal. you can do alot more reading on car audio @ http://www.bcae1.com/

access the crossover by pressing and holding menu.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
the objective is that sound coming from the rear of the car is not heard as coming from the rear because everything below 80 Hz is not directional. this is why some people use a subwoofer in the trunk and components up front, but no rears.

for a high end system, rears can be used to relieve some stress from fronts (by making the rear reproduce some of the lower frequencies sent to the front). this would be called a 3-way system, where the fronts would be mostly above 500 Hz, and rears would be 80-500 Hz and the sub would be 80 Hz and below.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1276
when driving, you are moving forward, and the speakers in the rear deck have to push sound toward you, against the direction of the car. not really optimal,

Interesting theory but since the in-cabin airmass is already moving along with the car(no doppler shift) I don't see the logic behind it.

The real reason most audiophiles avoid using rear full range drivers is because they can ruin the front stage's imaging, especially when run in stereo. Many people like a lot of sound coming from the rear, but if reproduction of a "concert" enviroment is the main goal then it doesn't make a lot of sense. Most people like to WATCH the band while listening to live music.

The only time I could see using full range rear speaks would be in a 6.1 system, but only for watching in-car movies. There's not a lot of AC3 music out there.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
'stage imaging' in car audio is something that is addressed by the use of time correction. if rears are installed, then time correction must be used to set the stage imaging where you want it (in front of your face). regardless, time correction is still used if only fronts are installed, to eliminate the effect of speaker placement. if the sub frequencies are 80 and below, then time correction is not necessary for the sub.

i chose to eliminate use of the rears to avoid buying a 3rd amplifier (and mids) and making the installation more involved. and since i cannot tell that the lower frequencies produced by the subwoofer are coming from the trunk, then i've suceeded in an optimal configuration. with rears you now have to use more power, robbing your fronts and subs of additional juice.

i am not saying you are wrong, Fishy, but you are tuning sound for a car, not a room, there is no such thing as 'audiophile' in a car application.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1279
Thats BS

No amount of time correction is going to fully compensate for a pair of full range rear mounted speakers running in stereo with a significant amount of power and only an 'audiophile' would even consider using such time delay techniques to help with front staging to begin with.

Just because I called you on illogical assumption doesn't mean I'm looking to pick a fight, but if you want to continue to demonstrate your "knowledge" of car audio to the rest of us I'll be happy to do the same.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
it sounds to me like you're the one looking to start a fight....and you're a 'gold' member ??

keep your smart-a*s comments to yourself pal.

Username: Speedracer92lx

Glendale, AZ United States

once again thanks for the info Chris. I'll definetley check out that website and play around with the X-overs on the deck. As you can see I'm pretty new to all this car audio stuff, but seeing all the audio options behind the 55' tells you that there is alot more room for improvement in your sound quality.

One more question while were at it, in a nutshell could you explain the diff. between the parametric and graphic equalizers? What applications are one or the others suited best for and which one would you suggest i tweak for my speaker application(6.5's out back, 6's up front) Thanks alot for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 236
Straight from bestcaraudio: The graphic equalizer gets its name because its sliders will form a graphic representation of the boost or cut in the audio output. Each of the sliders boost or cut a small section of the audio spectrum at a predetermined frequency. Usually the lower frequency (bass) sliders will be on the left. The high frequency (treble) sliders are on the right.

A parametric EQ will allow for the adjustment of boost and cut of different bands like a graphic EQ but it allows the shifting of the frequency up or down the audio band. It may also allow for the adjustment of "Q" (the quality of the curve of the band passed by the filter). One drawback of the parametric EQ is that they usually have fewer bands than a graphic EQ but they can be extremely useful in fine tuning a system with only a few flaws in its frequency response.

And Chris, the reason Fishy is a gold member is because he knows what he is talking about. Try to be a little more adaptable when you hear something that may be new to you, all right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
graphic eq lets you adjust the level of the bands shown. parametric eq allows you to also shift the bands fwd<>bwd as well as Q adjustment (read up on it in the equalizer section of that web site i told you about).

graphic eq is usually simpler to mess with but parametric eq can give you better sound tuning.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i usually listen to all my music with defeat on, so messing with the eq is not my thing, but it's there to fine tune the sound. for example: bass is not very audible @ low volumes, so boosting the low frequencies will pronounce them more @ a lower listening volume. but when you crank the volume up high, then you'd want to tame those frequencies.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Jexxen,

if you read his post he is outright calling what i am saying "BS." whether it is or not, the fact of the matter remains that you do not speak to someone like that unless you want to start an argument. and now you are coming in and telling me what to you with "..., all right ?" i think not.

like i said to Fishy, mind your own business if your going to speak like that. if you are simply trying to be informative and make a correction, say something like "sorry Chris, you are wrong, and this is why....", not stuff like "BS" and the almost bossy "all right ?"

i did not come here to be a target for anyone, but it seems i've wound up like that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
FYI is there a reason why you had to repeat the definition of parametric/graphic eq ? both the explanations above and those found on http://www.bcae1.com/ (which i gave to Josh to read about) are identical.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
I gave credit to that site(http://www.bcae1.com) in the first sentence of my post: a.k.a. "bestcaraudio." I am not trying to control you or what you say. I said "all right" in order to see if it was understood what I was implying, not so I would have to contend with a riposte.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1280
I apologize for the "BS" comment Chris. I guess it depends on your definition, but I think there are many here who consider themselves "audiophiles", or at least "purists".

Although getting a mobile audio system to image properly is 10 times the challenge, it can be done.

-Fishy

Anonymous

I found out the problem with the blinking light!

I was so excited to get my new CDA-9855, then when i got it and installed it, it didnt work! read the forums, and was just about to return it when i called alpine, took it down to their service centre and they fixed it in 10mins...

they hadnt actually seen that problem before, but saw it on their alpine technician forums... all it was is that there was a button stuck causing the unit not to respond. he just replaced the fixed the button and it was fine after that!

that's all it was. just a simple manufacturing fault.

Unregistered guest
I too bought mine 9855 online at crutchfield, worked fine after a week, now a blinking light. Especially when its 80+ degrees F in the cab.

What button was stuck? Is this easy to undo? I would hate to send mine back to crutchfield and wait a week or 2 for another unit. :|

Unregistered guest
I picked up the Alpine 9855 yesterday and I think I'm going to like it. One question tho:

My tilt seems to be messed up. First off, when I first go to the menu and try to tilt Down, it only changes ONE setting down. From there, I have to press up 2 times, then I can gt the other 2 down settings. It didn't do this on the display model as I recall.

Also, no matter what setting I leave it at, once I eject the CD or turn the deck off then on, the tilt NEVER stays.

Does this sound normal? HELP! :-)

Bret
Unregistered guest
Mine had the same problem as everyone else's. I bought it this last Saturday from Bestbuy. I just got back from returning it. The car audio guys had no idea there was a recall. Mine was made Fed/05 like everyone else.

xiaogary
Unregistered guest
How to change the colour of the dot matrix display?

I only managed to change the colour of the 4 square buttons on the left side.

The wordings colour only switch between green and red, no more colour? How to change?

Username: Chrisjam

I bought a cda 9853 first and used it for three days and I noted that there was extreme difficulity controlling the unit via glide touch so i took it back to best buy and upgraded to the 9855! much better control of audio and menu works better but CAUTION using glide touch while driving is very dangerous. audio quality is great ranks with high end Pioneer Premier DEX-P9/DEQ-P9\. this HU has great music output but tweaking is needed in the crossover and eq for higher volume use without crackling. suggestion take a few hour and program the eq/tcoor/ add them to the list then when your driving you can use the remote to control the eq to your preset subjective taste. I rate this unit 4.2 out of 5. other to consider= Pioneer9600,Pioneer Premier DEX-P9/DEQ-P9

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
i had a chance to go swap out the Feb. 2005 9855 deck with a new one (Apr. 2005). one thing i noticed almost immediately was the glidetouch was much more sensetive and required less pressure to respond. once i set it up the same as my previous deck, i noticed the sound was cleaner than with the previous deck. i guess it was a much needed swap. i convinced them to give me a new one even though i told them there was nothing wrong with it. at least they confirmed some decks have been coming back to them due to the issues with them.

so now i've got a shiney new faceplate :-)

Username: Theodoro

I am considering a new head unit for my 2002 Merc Sable having not changed out the base factory Audiovox system. The Alpine 9855 came to mind, i am on a student budget again and high end units are out of the question; will the Alpine work well with my high end stuff from my last car?

I want to integrate an ADS P640 amp [6 x 40], ADS 335is [5.5 inch] components and a ADS A10 sub. I am thinking of skipping new rear speakers and disconnecting the factory speakers. The trunk is large compared to that in my last car, will one 10" sub be enough or should I add a new one or an identical ADS sub from Ebay?

I like the higher 4v preamps, the amplification is weak 4x18 RMS wich my amp will take care of. Nice to integrate my Ipod too.

$450 at Best buy nice too.

Please advise.

Username: Jeffjob

Connecticut USA

I just had a 9855 installed a few days ago. So far so good! How can I find the build date for the unit? Is it part of a number on the box, or is it only on the unit itself?

Thanks for the help!

Username: Theodoro

As i have the Gen IV with electronic climate control, would there be any prob with intalling my 9855 head unit in the center console of my car angled toward me? There is a flip up armrest with a large storage compartment underneath. Ideas of where to get materials to fabricate mods?

Thanks,

Ted

Unregistered guest
dodgethis!!
You need to bypass the INfinity amp behind the glove box and tap into the speaker wires there. I had the same problem and thats what I did.

Burke
Unregistered guest
Hey Folks,

I am upgrading my HU in my Jeep Wrangler this week, and trying to choose between the Alpine CDA-9851 and the CDA-9847. The only difference I've seen is the face plate. All of the settings are the same, and they have the same features. I wanted the CDA-9851 because it looked like the screen was more readable, and displayed more information. It also seemed like it might keep more dust out of my CD player because the face would be in front of it. Its going to cost me 40 more bucks, but I'm thinking it might be worth it? However, I have been reading stories of folks getting CD's stuck behind a swinging face plate. Has Alpine fixed the stuck CD issue? Should I get the 51 or the 47?

Also, does anyone have experience with memphis M-Class 130-A coaxial speakers?

Thanks!

random name
Unregistered guest
How do I find out the manufacture date for my Alpine 9851?

Username: Aljordan

Just installed a 9855 into the Land Cruiser. Display looks good, and I think the glide touch will take a week to get used to. Also navigating around the MANY menus will take some time.

Mine has a manufacture date of march or april so I do hope I'm out of the woods on these problems.

Updates to follow..

Username: Aljordan

Random name- Its on the top or bottom of the unit on a sticker.

ThisNameIsUnique
Unregistered guest
I used to have a 9815, 9835, and now the 9855...THIS DECK SUCKS!! I have always loved alpine, I got worried with the 9835's display, and now with the Glide Touch. Alpine has lost it, their Sound quality is still good, but theyre interface is horrible. Browsing an MP3 cd with Glide Touch is a freakin Joke. I will never buy an Alpine again. I guess I have to go back to Pioneer's Burr Brown Codec Decks.

Username: Deathklone

does anyone have a wiring harness for this Headunit. I need one ASAP! and i WILL PAY $40 for it to be shipped to my house. Let me know if you have one for sale!

Unregistered guest
I bought my 9855 in March. Up to now it has worked fine. This morning the face would not tilt down to eject the CD. After pressing the button a few times, it finally worked. This evening it happened again, except this time no amount of pressing will do it. I have not had any glide bar or button issues, and no flashing power light. I didn't see any of the people that had the tilt problem post a resolution.

Suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Hi, I had a question, my car was recently broken into and my Alpine Face Plate Stolen. Can I order a new face plate for the deck? If so, anyone know where I can do this? It is an alpine-cda9805

Silver Member

Post Number: 765
Check ebay. I just found one for 20 bucks with 6 bucks shipping and handling. It ends in 1day and 4 hours. Just put this number: 5785699103 into the ebay search field.

Audioguy22
Unregistered guest
I like my 9813 but my Pioneer 860 sounds better.
Were the Alpine is super clean the Pioneer has a warmer sound and
makes it better for very loud levels.

bmx 4 life
Unregistered guest
Is there really a big difference between the 9855 and 9853. they seem to be almost the same except the 9855 has more colors and cost more.

macguyincali
Unregistered guest
I just got the 9855 last week and I am amazed by the sound (compared to my Tahoe stock stereo)... even iPod MP3s (encoded at 192) sound amazingly crisp--although I'm not a complete audiophile. Unfortunately I will be returning this unit because of the frustating user-unfriendly design... In short, navigating the iPod is maddeningly slow and almost unusable (especially if you have more than 511 songs / albums / artists--I have 6100+ songs). Overall navigation in XM and other sources are not great either. Doing anything more than changing the channel or volume on this unit while on the road is extremely dangerous. I've summarized the problems on another post:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=384691#POST384691

Username: 2k5ef

Well I just got my 9855 and love it... It works well i plan on hooking it up to an MRD-M605 and my two Alpine Type S subs which i just got for a 112 dollars brand new... Um quick question reguarding the headunit... Has anyone hooked it up with an alpine amp... Im confused cause apparantly you need an Amplifier link...

Username: T0asty

shoot... all the new alpine's suck. Alpine really dropped their specs this year. The 9855 is ok if your running mid end stuff and they really messed up on their EQ's. This 9855 only has 4V pre outs, kind of low if i say for a deck thats in the $500 range. You're better off with a pioneer or a eclipse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
True, for the new ones. I'm deeply in love with my CDA-9833...

Irvin
Unregistered guest
I read all the problems that happened with the 9855 and i want to know if I buy a headunit after feb i don't going to have problems with the swingface plate or the glide mechanism?

sorry for my english but i don't speak english very well

Irvin
Unregistered guest
someone know about the cda-9854L?

I want know if these model have trouble too
thanks

SpeedWolf
Unregistered guest
I bought my cda-9855r and it seems that only 2nd,4th and 5th buttons responds on the glidetouchbar. The other glidetouch buttons don't even make the powerlight blink. It seems that the HU is broken...?

Connecticut USA

I had a 9855 installed in June and have not had one problem with it yet.

I also have the OEM steering controls and XM interfaced.

Tweeter did the install.

I do agree, the unit takes some getting used to.

Username: Antonehenry

Muhamed Mehmedagic:

email me @ antone@spanishrice.net

anyway...

I'm still in the "getting used to it" phase. I'm really frustrated that i can't figure out if i can change the title displays or how to if i can.

i want it to display the artist name, and the song name. but i can't figure out if i can change that to happen or not.

anyone who knows better would be nice.

Connecticut USA

To change the display, use the button labeled "Title" in the 1 O'clock position of the rotary encoder, (volume dial).

after my deck crapping out and having to have it replaced, has worked fine for about a month and a half today it started the not ejecting cd trick.........

Username: Adolfo_63

Houston, Texas Usa

Hey guys...I need some help with my Alpine CDA-9855 ... I cant have access to the equalizer... I want to setup the treble by myself to increase the tweeters' sound. Just in case may car has 4(2 in the fron and 2 in the back) 6" 1/2 component speakers Infinity, 2 12" subwoofers Polk.....and 2 amplifiers. Thank you

Unregistered guest
hey guys,
Just some quick questions, im guessing all or at least most of you guys are in usa. Im located in Australia, does anyone know if the recall for 9855's occured in Australia aswell. Also what date decks were recalled. I recently bourght a 9855 from ebay and after reading these posts i checked my date at the back of the deck and it says march 2005? should i be worried? Has anyone here had problems with a 9855 that was made in march? im really getting worried about this deck now, should of read these forums before i bought it lol
anyway thanks
daniel

Unregistered guest
I have the 9855 and I am getting use to it. My queastion is I installed the MRV-345 75 rmsx4 amp to some Infinity perfect 6.5 componets and it does not seem to have the power that I thought it would. On the amp when I lower the input voltage the power increases. Why is that? and how can I get more power out of my amp.

Anonymous

Can anyone recommend a good on-line dealer for the CDA-9855? I live in California, and would like to save on the sales tax by purchasing on the east coast! I've seen some places on-line that are reportedly selling this unit at the $340 mark... sometimes ResellerRatings has info on them, sometimes not! :-)

Username: Barrman

just curious... where do i look to find the manufacture date on one ofthe 9855 decks? i'm considering buying a new one off my buddy, but i want to make sure its from the april 05 batch or later...

Username: Khagen

Hello all.
I have just bought a Alpine CDA-9855 and I have a problem i might worder if you have seen before.
Radio works ok, but no sound what so ever on CD or iPod.. Can be that I do something wrong, but all looks right, songs are displayed correctly, and everything else look ok, byt still no sound at all... Please help..

Username: Buckyweet

Had an Alpine CDA-9851 with the iPod adapter, but didn't like it at all because it takes FOREVER to scroll through Playlists/Albums/Songs etc. Just got an Alpine CDA-9855 installed today. First off, the sound quality is MUCH MUCH MUCH better. The display is a lot better as well. I haven't yet fiddled around with it too much, so don't know all the ins and outs of it yet. One glitch I noticed is when using the glidebar to scroll through Artists. When scrolling from A--->Z, when I get to somewhere in the C's, I scroll the same, but it goes all the way to the last Z artist. Now when I scroll slowly to the middle of the D's, I speedscroll and it scrolls fine again. No problem when speedscrolling from Z--->A, or when scrolling in either direction in the Playlists or Songlists. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
I am on the verge of purchasing the cda 9855, i've own eclipse cd8443 (awesome deck), pioneer deh p9mp, and countless alpines. i heard of rumors that the glide function has problems working when the faceplate gets too hot. Did anyone have the same issue? Also, will i get used to driving and using the glide function to search songs? i only heard bad things about the ipod usage with the deck? so would anyone still recommend it?

Unregistered guest
I am on the verge of purchasing the cda 9855, i've own eclipse cd8443 (awesome deck), pioneer deh p9mp, and countless alpines. i heard of rumors that the glide function has problems working when the faceplate gets too hot. Did anyone have the same issue? Also, will i get used to driving and using the glide function to search songs? i only heard bad things about the ipod usage with the deck? so would anyone still recommend it?

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
dont do it. These units have issues. Wait for a formal recall by alpine if there is one...

408kent
Unregistered guest
u serious? i just ordered it through crutchfield!

i pulled mine out i think it was a month or 2 ago with the dreaded wont eject cd problem... i decided to hook it up to a power supply i have at the house to see if it might work again, sure enough it ejected the cd no problem. so i put it back in my car....... now to see how long it works again before it wont eject the cd again

DonD
Unregistered guest
Ok, i have the CDA-9855 with the glide bar, and everything works great. I am going to install new speakers to replace stock infinity speakers in The Dodge.

Here's my question. I like the background animations, but I want more options. I have searched the web and the i-personalize site to no avail. Is there any where I can get these animations????

Unregistered guest
I haven't been able to find any downloads for the thing either. Ok, so I've had the unit for about two weeks - I'm ready to vent.

CONS ->
1) The middle of the alphabet bit. Maybe they could add a scroll wheel or something? I feel like the skin on my finger is going to wear off trying to get to Pearl Jam. And then, just when you're nearing your artist, it flips to "Z"! Why I ask!?

2) It takes 5 seconds or more to display the text for the song, mp3/cd/ even radio station name. If you mess with the volume, you get to wait another 5 seconds. Sucks when you're trying to flip through some songs quick to find something.

3) After you find your artis or album and have listened to a couple of songs, you can't browse around the tracks with the glide bar. If you want to see the names of the songs on your current album or from your current artist, you're going to have to start from the begining. Die finger skin!

4) Minor but still annoying. You can either have the [artist and album] or the [album and song] displayed. NO [ARTIST AND SONG]. WTF man, why not? Might not be as big a deal to me if (2) wasn't an issue. If you want to find out the artist, you need to hit the title button and wait the 5+ seconds. AWESOME if your driving. This toy is going to be the death of me I think.

5) This one is minorish but... When you're in the menues, you have to hold down the menu button for two seconds to get out of it. Why not tap it to be out? I don't see that being bad. No adjusting the volume of your tunes while you're in the menus either, so be prepared to hit mute if you get a call.

Ok, grrr. Much room for improvements. And yet...

PROS ->

1) Looks great! My girlfriend says it adds a nice touch of Sci-Fi to my car. The display is nice looking. It's the only deck out there that displays song info from your IPOD. This was the primary reason I picked it up. It'll impress your friends for sure. The glidebar makes you look smart somehow, well, until your friends see you stroking it for 3 minutes to get to your song.

2) Sounds great! I'm no Audio expert, but this thing sounds good. Good sub woofer controls that are quick to get to.

I'd like to see what Alpine does in the next generation of head units. The CDA-9855 has got soo much potential. I'm kind of curious if maybe they just rushed to get it on shelves without testing it out a bit? Still the best deck on the market for use with an ipod.

Cheers,
~Ezra

FooBar
Unregistered guest
EzraF, I have the same gripe about your #4. It works for mp3s, why not on the iPod???

Unregistered guest
Hey
I have had my 9855R for one week and the face plate refuses to zoom down for tilt or eject function.

Nobody on here seemed to list the fix for this problem
and the fella at alpine UK refused to recognise this as a common fault.

I did find this thread which does elaborate (make sure u copy the whole link) :

http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004327;p=0

But any proven and tested fixes from here will be highly appreciated.

Im really regretting not going for the 9833..
these glide touch stereos are really pants.

Thanks in advance

Frantic
Unregistered guest
Hi!
Is there any huge difference between 9855, 9833, 9815 and 9813 (have this one for couple days and really enjoy it)?

Frantic
Unregistered guest
Hi!
Is there any huge difference between 9855, 9833, 9815 and 9813 (have this one for couple days and really enjoy it)?

Frantic
Unregistered guest
Hi!

BKZ187
Unregistered guest
9855 has biolite display. If I were u Id stick with the 9833R. Read online and find the one with least complaints.

The glide touch and zoom down is very tempramental on the 9855R. Real let down from Alpine.

Mines gone to my Ice shop to be looked at. Had no ideas from any forum.
Got my fingers crossed that its nothing major.

Username: Lafutura

i have the 9813 and have used it about 5 hrs a week for 2 years. the display just went out on it - it plays just fine but i can't tell what is playing (or if the eq or mx are on).

does anyone know how long these head units are expected to last for? i can't help but think that getting someone to fix this would cost as much as buying a new one.

argh!

BKZ187
Unregistered guest
right.. have an update

I got it back from my local ICE shop 2day. The guy tested it; sed it could be fixed but would need to be sent away. Would take about 10 days. I sed Id be back Monday.

Now.. I put it back in my car and you'll never believe it.. but the cd ejected first time!!!

Can anyone explain this bizarre phenomenon? When I originally reset it and unplugged it.. I left it for approx 2 mins..
Maybe the 2 day rest at the ICE shop did it some good?

Shall I expect it to conk out again?

As for warranty.. when i called Alpine they required receipt and warranty papers which I was never given. I'll try again tho and let u know what they say

Any comments?
Thanks

Username: Crippiehippie

FL

I've had the 9853 for about a week now, and it's awesome. The quality is just ridiculous. The only problem I seem to be having is that my volume seems to be hitting a ceiling. No matter how often I play with my EQ or crossover settings I can't seem to break through this ceiling. My old Kenwood head unit could play music much louder than this one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Philipp
Unregistered guest
I have a 7998 right now and was wondering if I would regret buying a 9855 to replace it. I bought a different car and don't feel like replacing all the speakers and everything at once, which I would have to do with the 7998(no internal amp). thanks for any info I get.

Username: Alpinejohn

Ballwin, Missouri United states

i just installed a 9855 and i cant seem to find any downloads on the alpine website. i was just wondering if anyone has found any?

DonD
Unregistered guest
not yet

Unregistered guest
I was thinking about buying the 9855 for my ipod. I've read good and bad things about it. I've been to best buy to check out a few of the decks, i am going to take my ipod there to see if i can hook it up to play with the interface. is there a better unit than the 9855 to work with the ipod?

Username: Ekeith

The sound and flexibility of the Alpine 9855 is good but the user interface is weak. Very difficult toi drive and navigate menus safely. Very poor controls, lack sensitivity, unit freezes/locks up unexpectedly and more frequently now. Ipod interface and screen is not at all consistent with Ipod UI.

Unregistered guest
I've had my CDA-9855 for about 2 weeks now. In that time I discovered a some good things and some Extremely Annoying Things. Please excuse if items are similar to past postings.

The Good:
1. Sound quality is very good.
2. Sound control is very good. (Time delay, Equalizers)
3. Display is highly legible at night. (not so when sun is on the display).

The (not too) Bad:
1. In Date/Time display. Why do we need the date to be there? This takes up alot of Real Estate.
2. Radio mode. When creating Titles, there is limited spaces for characters even though room is available on the display.

The UGLY:
1. In iPod mode, glide bar is sometimes unpredictable (selections jump too far forward or back) while searching for a playlist or song. Why not, somehow, utilize the UP and DOWN folder arrow buttons to more precisely control glide bar scrolling? These control the MP3 DISC folders. (They do Nothing in iPod mode)
2. If you're able to get through #1. After selecting a playlist and then a song. The unit will return to display mode. You can then select the next up or next down one click (one song)at a time. IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 200 SONGS ON A PLAYLIST (DOESN'T EVERYONE), IT TAKES FOREVER. There is NO functionality to quickly glide/scroll through the playlist you're currently in. To do that you must repeat step #1(Re-select Playlist, then scroll).
3. In iPod mode, no Artist and Song combination to display.

I sincerely hope Alpine will provide a firmware update for the CDA-9855 in the near future. That way we can stay in the current playlist and use the glidebar to scroll. C'mon Alpine, you can make this a TRULY AWESOME head unit.

Username: Pohaku31586

I bought this head unit and installed it in my 97 4 door yukon. The head unit is great but now my speakers in the rear door do not work. Someone told me that I must have missed the factory amp connection? Thanks for any help or comments.

ThaBirdManJR
Unregistered guest
i bought my 9855 from onlinecarstereo.com and 2 weeks later the screen just went black and its not the black out mode its fried and they wouldnt take it back and i called Alpine and they want 95 bucks to fix it , besides that it kicks bass i got a jl audio 1000/1 and 13w7 with 6.5 infinty perfect and it really brings them alive

WHAT DO U THINK?
Unregistered guest
i'm having the same problem. all of a sudden today my screen just doesn't work anymore. the buttons work, but not the screen. earlier, something in the deck was burning. when i took the faceplate out, it was HOT. so i dunno if it's just the screen that burned out? or if it's something internal?

Dami
Unregistered guest
my 2cents:

The good stuff is given to Alpine, that's why I chose it - good sound, good looks, etc.
But this is not about the good stuff. This is about bad stuff:

I have this unit for about a year. Bought it initially with Sirius module and up until 2 weeks ago, I've been using 95% Sirius 5% CD (mp3s, mostly).
As far as Sirius, it's not bad, since I've presetted all the channels I listen to. Apart of needed "double-click" on glide bar to change preset (one time to activate the presets, another time to actually click it) controls seemed fine. Display is another matter - what's with all the slow animations and no ability to turn it off? It takes 6 secs to show the name and right away it starts scrolling SLOWLY first artist then title. So if you're driving, you can forget the display for about 30 secs because info won't be complete. There's no way it takes 6 secs to pull the info from SAT since all the other stereos have WHOLE listing all the time. Somehow Alpine thinks it's "cool" to wait 6 secs and then do a scroll, even though that scroll doesn't reveal anything extra.

So that was my gripes about Sirius.
Now come i-pod interface.
This is total BS. First, trying to find anything on ipod using that glide bar is impossible. Period. Unless you're looking something withing first 10-15 lines, forget it. Doing single-glide only gives you extra 3 or 4 lines, while doing quick double glide jumps god know where, absolutely no consistency. Sometimes it jumps 10, sometimes 205.

So I use ipod as giant jukebox - random everything. Which would be fine, but random function turns itself off every time you power off your car. I'm pretty sure CD doesn't do that but i'll double-check. So that's a direct bug.
Of course to enable random-all is a 3-click 15-second process, because God forbid they'd just do it easy and quick way.

Then, we have artist/album or album/song title displays only, no artist/song title. Who came up with that? Maybe in China or wherever they design the unit they only get those 2 choices on TV, but not in US.

Then when in random mode, you can't do anything with search. Basically their idea is when random, shut up and don't touch anything, you can only do skip / back, that's it.

Of course more 6 second name display delays and unnecessary scroll.

So I'm totally pissed at the unit - it should have been such a cool head unit, but controls are totally unusable.

Alpine's quality testing totally blew on this one - they should've given the unit with all the extras to me for 1 week and I've done much better job.
I mean for real, who cares about stupid animations for more than 10 times? How about mandatory 2-sec menu button hold to get out of menu just to turn down the volume?
I think the unit was never tested in the car and if it was, not in a moving one.

And who cares about ability to use their software to tweak EQ and burn a CD to load to unit? It's much quicker to do it in the unit itself. What they should have done, is software to control options in user interface, like animations and glide bar sensitivity.

That's why iPod is winning all the time - they kept it simple, no stupid animations or slow downs.

As far as breakdowns, I had 2 - my display screen went blank (backlight still was on), which I fixed by resetting the unit, and faceplace tilt broke but then fixed itself in a month.

Unregistered guest
I just had a 9855 professionally installed in my 01 Nissan Pathfinder. The Pathfinder originally came with a Bose system; I replaced the Bose head unit with 6 CD changer with the Alpine head unit; left the Bose amp and speakers as is.

The Alpine is cool but it has very limited power even at full blast ( eg 35 on the volume ). The power is well under any factory system. Also it will not light up when the vehicle is either turned on or the headlamps engaged. It only lights up when I engage the power on the unit and it begins playing a disc or the radio station.

The primary issue here is the lack on any power. Any thoughts on this? Woudl the Bose amp be limiting the Alpine? The Bose never had great power but it did have more than the Alpine has presently. I paid major bucks in Canada for the Alpine and it is frustrating - any help would be appreciated.............

david Tripp
Unregistered guest
I'm jeust learning this stuff. Does the 9855 has an internal amp? Does that mean I could discounnect the Bose amp in my Pathfinder and let the 9855 run by itself?

032r
Unregistered guest
Hello!!I live in Hong Kong.I just insall 9855 in my car.I have some question....Why in radio mode not include RDS and radio titles???.....thanks

Letch
Unregistered guest
I have had the 9855 for 2 months, and all the things mentioned by Dami are true, but don't bother me that much. I like everything about it except the shortened titles in Sirius Radio...can't see the years, and the volume settings have a big jump between each setting. I have had only one breakdown...unit stopped working for an hour, then came back on, and hasworked without a hitch since.

DDDD
Unregistered guest
Some questions about the 9855. Can I pause and resume, fast forward and rewind MP3 tracks?

Also, when the unit is shut off, will it resume the same MP3 track at the same moment it was shut off?

The JVC KD-DV5100 that I was also considering doesn't support these basic functions.

Thanks,

xp1icit
Unregistered guest
i got a question when i buy the alpine cda9855 does it already come with the ipod connector?

Anonymous

Dami,

I'm with you bro, the user interface could have been soooo much better. The 2 second menu-press sucks, as does the scrolling..

It would actually be a lot better to ditch the glide touch (itself a liinear button, so quite unlike the ipod control) and used the volume knob and button to select songs/playlist/artist.

Unregistered guest
Well ive had my CDA-9855 since july and I was told by an Alpine employee that all decks that were made before before the APR-2005 have a chance of failing due to 1. A short in the faceplate 2.The cd ejector gets jammed 3. The Tilt motor breaks and it gets stuck in position.

Now for my personal review. I have my 9855 in an 2005 Civic Ex Coupe. Install was pretty easy and straight forward. I bought a wiring harness and metra dash kit from Circuit City and it was a breeze ran the rca to my "Digital Studios" 300 watt mono and to my two 10" SWS-1042 subs in an MTX vented box. I had been holding off on buying the KCA-420i for sometime now, but my parents bought it for me for X-Mas. As of right now i'd give it a 5/10.
The good
Great Sound Quality
Charges Ipod
Simple Menu

The Bad
Scrolling OMG SHOOT ME, the stupid thing scrolls through 2 at a time. You would think that Alpine would have added a second way to scroll through menus. The volume button maybe or the up and down arrows.

THE REMOTE IS ABSOLUTELY useless. You would think that they would have made use of the remote so it makes navigation easier while driving.

Anyways i feel that Alpine rushed the production of the 9855 and that they should have spent another year perfecting it, while selling a very good line up of the 9835 9833 ect.

P/S
If anyone finds a way to scroll through the menu faster please enlighten me at Hoops3355@aol.com

slurry
Unregistered guest
Hey, did someone say that u cant scroll through songs while another is playing? i hope not? is this the case or not? if so why the hell would they have changed it from the the 9835 which was awsome

bkz187
Unregistered guest
Just to answer a couple of questions on here:

Yes you CAN scroll through 'file search' and search while listening to another song.

you will need to buy the ipod adapter(KCA 420i) if you want to control ur ipod from the stereo. otherwise you can get an adapter that allows you to listen thru Ai-net and M bus but your controls are thru the ipod itself.

US models dont have RDS function

bkz187
Unregistered guest
Yes you can fast forward and rewind MP3s on the 9855, as well as pause and resume.
when u switch off and turn back on, it plays from where you left off.
HTH

Siete
Unregistered guest
ok jus bought this alpine installed it and i get no sound in my subs turned them on with the deck and made sure the amp was on connectionsare good remote is connecteced i dont know whats wrong what do you guys think?

george5
Unregistered guest
Siete,

Is the amp powering up? Are you getting power from the remote power line (blue)? I'm having the same problem with my unit. The remote power line is not giving the amp power to turn on. I'll be sending my unit in for repairs soon.

Dbone95456
Unregistered guest
Hey guys-
I am pretty fustrated with the scrolling of the ipod through the 9855 head unit as well. When the new deck comes out in march, will we be able to upgrade at a discount? Also, is there any way to disable the backround animation garbage.

AuroraDrvr
Unregistered guest
how can I get any time to display on my 9855? Like on the home screen, not going through, menu, setup, disp, calendar, just to find what time it is. Any help?

Bronze Member
Username: Ilyawizard

Post Number: 33
There's a button TITLE on the right upper corner of the volume control. It changes the way title or time will show up. Just play with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I don't know if there's a problem, or if it's HU problem, but the volume on 20 and 35 doesn't differ much (both speakers and subs are amplified). Anyone experienced it? May there's something in setup if audio features (like xover, eq, or MX).

Silver Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 202
wow...after reading this i will stay with my 9833 awhile longer...prolly go straight to DVD receiver this summer (almost bought a 9855 this weekend)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1388
Lol, this thread is still active? Jeez... Yea, keep that 9833 until it no longer works. From the looks of the market, everyone's going down hill, and quickly. Alpine's even worse than last year, and Eclipse has just took a dive too... Angers me. Glad I got a couple of the Eclipse decks before they turned to sh1t. I have a couple unopened...

Philipp
Unregistered guest
I also have a problem with not enough power, the volume at 20 isnt much diff. than 35. I have an mrd-m1005 amp and a factory cadillac amp hooked up to it. I don't know what to do. I loved alpine until this. Maybee I should have stuck with my 7998 deck. also My alpine amp gets louder when I turn the gain down to lower volts, is this normal. I would appreciate any help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I don't know what was wrong with it, but when I pressed reset button it got back to normal, the volume went back to normal too.

Deathwish238
Unregistered guest
How much did you all pay for your $9855? I got mine for $400 after tax. Was that a good price?

Deathwish238
Unregistered guest
How much did you all pay for your 9855? I got mine for $400 after tax. Was that a good price?

Username: Gfunk4

This is a long post 4sure... but I can see why!
Lots of issues to talk about with the 9855.

I was considering the 9856. I like the fact it doesnt use the glidebar.

Does any1 know if it has the same control offered in the 9855... ie adjustable xover, mediaxpander, timedelay, etc...

thx!

yai46
Unregistered guest
does anyone know how to change the clock time on the display?

Anonymous

I was thinking about buying one of these units, but they seem to be very buggy. What is the bottom line on this unit Yea or Nay ?

Unregistered guest
HELP !!!! I just installed the CDA-9855 in a 97 BMW M3 Coupe. Everything went fine. Except I don't get sound when playing a CD, and I do not get sound when trying to play my Ipod through AUX. The FM/AM is the only thing that gets sound. Is there something I need to do ? Please help me. -Thanks

PeterLem0nJello
Unregistered guest
NVM ... i found the fix from the Alpine site

" Subject:
Receiving audio from the radio but no audio when you insert a CD.

The BLUE and BLUE/WHITE wires may have been reversed at the time of installation. The BLUE antenna wire will shut down when you switch to CD. Use the BLUE/WHITE wire for your turn-on lead."

PiiiimpiNYankee
Unregistered guest
Quick question. What the heck does the "f button (function button) on my CDA-9833 do? I have been sitting there trying to make it do something and all i get out of it is the low pitched beep...meaning I can't use it there. To make things worse I lost my manual so I'm really screwed. If anyone knows what the f button does on the 9833 please help me out!

Username: Nebu

I've had this thing (CDA_9855) for a year now and I totally hate it.

1. Sounds like crap. But that's probably my fault. I went and got it at Goodguys (who went out of business) and just use my supposedly "premium" speakers from Subaru.
2. There seems to be no ESCAPE option in the UI. you go into a menu and want to escape out of it and no button will back you out of the menus.
3. IPOD music sounds like crap on it. The mp3s sound better burned on a CD
4. IPOD list takes forever to scroll through
5. Glide Bar is the biggest POS ever. They won't even let you use the arrow buttons to navigate instead. I've got into so many almost accidents because of the stupid glide bar. It's going to kill me sometime.

I'm never buying Alpine again after this dumb unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I just picked up the new 9856 a few months ago, and I am totally in love with it.

The sound quality is awesome, I also have a an Alpine M450 running my stock speakers. I have the Mach460 system, so it is costly to do everything at once.

But yeah, the new interface is so much better, it still isn't iPod scrolling quality, but it you get the right touch it scrolls through pretty damn fast.

Only bad thing is that when you go to choose an artist, it restarts the selection list, instead of going back to the artist you are currently playing, but whatever, I get to listen to good quality music in my car finally.

Username: Josephman

ok here it goes i have a problem so i have the CDA-9853 i think its excellent i have majors problems with it but if someone could please help me out with this one issue. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi lancer with the 9853 i have Alpine type S 2-way 6 1/2's in the rear with clarion 6 1/2's 2 way in front i got 2-way speakers because i want all my high and mids in the car and no lows. so here is my problem i dont now how to use the x-crossover properly or the time correction i need to equilize the speaker system out enough to stop having the distorting bass in the car it sounds good but i know it could sound better. i went to Alpine web site to use the I-peronilize but i have no idea what i was doing could someone please help me maybe go to the website adjust the things as needed and send me the file looking at all those number is like looking at german to me so if someone could please help me out with the equilizing of my car that would be awsome.
-Joseph-

Username: Gealousy

Aurora, CO USA

Hey guys- I have the CDA-9853 with the Glide Touch. Everything seems to work fine. However, my problem is in FM/AM mode, I can't access the "pre-sets" to set the FM stations to the pre-sets. I was able to do this in the SIRIUS side, and have my stations in the presets 1-6, but on the FM, when I go to touch "Function" to get to the 1-6's to pre-set, it takes me to a menu first, that asks for CD TUNER SAT AUX. I choose "FM" but then it takes me back to showing the radio station. How do I get the unit to show me the pre-set 1-6's so I can set my stations on the FM side? Thanks a ton...

Aurora, CO USA

So I figured out what's up with my FM/AM pre-sets not showing up... I couldn't access the "pre-sets" to set the FM stations to the pre-sets. I was able to do this in the SIRIUS side, and have my stations in the presets 1-6, but on the FM, when I went to touch the "Func" key (function) to get to the 1-6's to pre-set like the manual says, it would take me to a menu first, that asks for CD TUNER SAT AUX. I would choose "Tuner" on the Glide Touch bar, but then it would take me back to showing the radio station, not the 1-6 preset numbers. Well I found out what I was doing wrong. I am not suppose to choose TUNER, I am suppose to hit "Func" again. But the BS is the manual doesn't say to hit Func twice!! It makes no mention of the CD TUNER SAT AUX menu at all?? So, I dunno, I'm gonna have to chalk this one up to an error in the "write-up" within the manual. LOL! :p But seriously, check out the manual, it doesn't say anything about hitting Func once, then again to show the 1-6. It acts like you hit Func once, and the 1-6 presets show up which is NOT the case! LOL! Well, hopefully this helps someone else out there in the world if they ever have the same problem... :D
CDA-9853 manual:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500CDA9853.PDF

Bronze Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 46
I love the older CDA 7995 and CDA 7998. And why don't they make "dead heads" anymore (well they do - F1). And I know you will say that on these new heads you can turn the internal amp off, but say - I don't want to pay for an internal amp if I am not gonna use it, I would rather have that money spent on a better D/A converter.
What's happening with Alpine? Are they going all commercial?

Username: Pglover

Toronto, Ontario Canada

im having troubles with the speaker bass. how do i turn it lower?

Aurora, CO USA

what model do you have Ryan? CDA-9853/5 you would need to adjust the cross-over... it will allow you to adjust low/mid's/highs to your taste...

Username: Pglover

Toronto, Ontario Canada

i have the 9855 how would i adjust the crossover im so lost with this deck.

Aurora, CO USA

I linked the manual above, I think page 16 - 20 would be huge for you. I do not know a ton about the actual "science" behind the EQ or Cross Over settings, but mainly, you just have to play around with the settings to see what you like. Keep the volume on your unit low while you mess with the settings. Once you think you have it set how you like, turn up the volume SLOWLY. If you begin to hear any distortion, turn down the volume and try re-adjusting the settings again. I would start with the Cross Over. Once you have the crossover set, so that you can turn up the volume as loud as you want, without distortion, then you can begin messing with the EQ. I personally have found the factory "pre-set" EQ settings to be pretty good, so I didn't really mess with my EQ ever, though now I have been playing with them more, for fun. Hope this helps...

Username: Rboutin

Shrewsbury, MA

If anyone's interested I'm selling a new CDA-9855 with the Sirius Satellite adapter. I'm not a dealer and I ony have this unit to sell. I purchased it through Crutchfield last fall and I never had the time to do anything with it. I'm now trading in the vehicle I purchased it for.

Everything is new and in the box. I broke the seal on the head unit to read the owner's manual but never lifted the unit out of the box.

If you're interested I can take and send photos.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us