Best 1 sub sql system?

Bronze Member
Username: Gravytrain

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 42
ive been looking for a 1 sub spl system. any thoughts? i have around $400 to spend on the sub alone. the amp will come later depending on what sub i get, also i will be custom building the box for it so it can fit in the trunk of my honda civic.

i found an 18" cv stroker (old school) on ebay for $200 and some guy out bid me in the last minute so i have to do some more searching for a new sub!

my goal is to hit 150+ dB's with one sub and not have to do too many mods the electrical system.

any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 848
good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 82
you could try a 15" type r with a tcab box...

http://www.thecaraudiobox.com

But yea, I'm with Matt : Good Luck

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 43
well i really dont have much hope in finding one, but it was worth a shot. i just really impressed with the 2 12" strokers that i had in my car a couple of weeks ago and kinda got hooked on them.

another random question, how are the strokers able to get so loud without much excursion?

Bronze Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 76
SPL or SQL? Because your topic and what is said in the thread are different...

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 44
how about a diamond audio D9 15?

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 45
i mostly want spl, but i still would like to maintain as high of sq as possible.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6974
U would need an electrical system upgrade to run that sub right

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 46
i really dont want to add a second battery because i have a 5 fared cap but HO alternator i can live with.

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 520
maybe you can get lucky and win one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Resonant-Engineering-MT-12_W0QQitemZ9726826404QQcategoryZ188 03QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/digital-design-12-subwoofer-barely-used_W0QQitemZ9725707506Q QcategoryZ18803QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6977
why do u have a cap????????

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7820
god ebay choices from ctmike

maybe a havoc will suit u fine

http://ascendantaudio.com/havoc_page.html

3yrs warranty .....

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3345
You will NOT....i repeat....NOT hit anywhere near 150dbs with 1 sub on a stock electrical system.:-)

and why do you have a cap???

the strokers are able to get loud b/c they are very efficient and have a thin cone:-) can't think of any other reason. lol

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 682
the strokers must have a really high acceleration factor.

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 371
TRY BUYING THE TREO 15" CSX ON EBAY RIGHT NOW ITS AT 300 BUT WELL WORHT IT IF U GET IT
:-O

Gold Member

Post Number: 3347
The Treo Csx is not for daily use.
It is strictly an SPL subwoofer....it doesn't have the cooling capabilities to be used as a daily driver.

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 47
the reason that i got a capacitor was because it was an easy way to have more available power for the amp without adding a second battery.

muddy...i dont necessarily need to have one sub, but i do want to be able to fit it in the back of my little civic.

my goal is this...have a very loud system so when some punk kid pulls up next to me i can actually show him what it really means have a loud system, but for daily driving i would listen to it substantially turned down.

Silver Member
Username: Seth_walker

U.S.A.

Post Number: 123
A capacitor does not add any power whatsoever. It can't have more voltage than what your battery has and that's determined by your alternator and your current draw. If you wanna go loud get a HO alt. There's a group buy going on from excessive amperage. great stuff. check it out in the accesories section.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3358
i agree ten-fold on what this brilliant young man above me just said. :-O haha

Bronze Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 99
Guys capacitors help alot... They provide the quick instantaneous power the amp needs at bass bursts that a high output alternator cannot do and if u have a big amp you will need a cap most like a bigger one 10 to 20 farad or higher. Ya they drain the alternator that is if u dont have a big enough electrical system to power the cap.. If u got lots of power say couple batteries, bigger alternator then u have enough power for a cap

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 533
"if u have a big amp you will need a cap most like a bigger one 10 to 20 farad or higher."

do you know what size amp(s) you would even have to be running to need a cap that size?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3361
wtf?????

the general rule of thumb is 1 FARAD for every 1000 watts RMS....wtf are you gonnna do with a 20 FARAD cap with a stock electrical system???

he doesn't have a HO alt. so that is why we are asking him why he has a cap....please read before you post.:-O:-O:-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
i was putting a example dumb a*ss

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Post Number: 802
hahahahaha 20 farad cap andy you id!ot i suggest you go read www.bcae1.com and glasswolf site on capacitors. If anything get a ho alt instad of a cap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
hm 1 farad for 1000 watts?? hm what about the 100 farad caps r u sayin u need 100 000 watts?? no vehicle in the world would have that 1 farad caps are useless..period anything under 10farad basically are useless

Silver Member

Post Number: 803
lol hahaha andy your a brilliant young man arent ya what do you have two pyramids with a 50 farad caps and your hitting 150dbs right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
i got a 20 farad cap with a kicker2500.1 it works perfectlky fine on a stock alternator 110A and a extra yellowtop battery and a alpine type X it works great u dont really need HO alternators just extra batteries they are the ones that supply power u cannot have more then 200 a alternator anyways anything higher then 200A and it constantly needs higher RPMS like racing vehicles so really no use in upgrading to HO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3362
are you f*cking high???

go read a car audio book....

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 275
HAHA. Andy just go ahead and quit while your behind, itll only get worse. But umm... seriously guys, I think I might go grab me a couple 2000watt sony xplod amps with a couple 20 farad caps for my Treos:-)

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 277
It is possible to run it off a stock alt., I aint sayin it cant be done. But your amp isnt gettin the power it needs.
As for adding batteries, they have to stay charged to supply that power, and if your alt. can barely keep one charged, how do you think its gunna keep about 4 when you keep adding them you dumbsh!t.

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 535
maybe than you can keep up with andy!

just make sure you add extra batteries and keep your stock alt. and you'll be fine:-)

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6988
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 804
andy Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
I got a voltage tester on the cap I played my amp with my sub at high volume and it still read 14 V or whatever the vehicles volts are iam not losing any volts my installer installed this system for me he has ben an installer for 10+years with alot of experiance he would of told me my setup would of ben no good but he hooked it up and said it was good

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1045
you could run your system for a short period of time w/o a ho alternator if you had several batteries. then you'd have to charge the batteries for a few hours and then you could play it again. it would be awesome!

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 279
^^Hes right. But once those batteries die, if you dont recharge them, you'll be back to no good.

Andy-Do you like have your sub wired to 8ohms and the gains turned down so that your amp draws no current then? I'm pretty sure that 2500.1 will draw more than that if you running it at 2ohm on a stock electrical system. I don't care if you do have your 200 farad caps and 3 batteries, its not all stayin charged, and there will be voltage drop.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3364

quote:

he would of told me my setup would of ben no good but he hooked it up and said it was good

...not really.
i have never heard a salesmen/installer explain to someone why they should get a HO alt. b/c people would think it is impractical...they just want to spend their money on a system and run it off of their stock electrical system....like everybody else. you think he doesn't know you need more than a stock electrical system to run your system??? He is just trying to get your money like the rest of them.:-):-):-)
People wouldn't want to buy systems if they knew thay had to spend another $200-400 on upgrading their electrical system....sh*t, some people's systems cost about that much anyway. lol

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 281
And i doubt he stayed in business for 10+years by explaining to ppl why they shouldnt put a system in their car, and how it wont be good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
i cant upgrade much to HO alternator the highest u can have is 200 A and I already have 110A thats only an extra 90A not enough for that kicker so not worth for me upgrading

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 283
Why cant you go past 200A? And 90A may not be enuff for full power, but itll be better than far too less power.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6992
"i cant upgrade much to HO alternator the highest u can have is 200 A"

^^^When did this happen??? so i guess my alternator does not exist??

I really think ur doing this to get under everybodys skin, no way u could be that dumb..

Great idea, call a place that makes ho alternators and talk to them, ask them all the questions u have, i really think its sad that u would base all ur trust on a SALESMAN

Gold Member

Post Number: 3367
andy, i am not trying to get on your case and argue with you.
but when you make an ignorant comment, or one that is not entirely true, someone needs to correct you, so we are not misinforming people.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3368
btw.....90 Amps is more than you think it is....some people's Alternators aren't even that big. My stock one was 80A. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
u cant have an HO alternator past 200A without having high rpms all the time there not made for everyday driving

Gold Member

Post Number: 3371
depending on the quality of the Alt. you can have one that puts out almost full power at idle. and the point of getting a HO alt. is not so you can sit at stop-lights and blow people away....it is so your amps have the correct amount of current they need to make their power w/o clipping the signal to the sub b/c they can't amplify the signal anymore from a lack of current.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6995
Like i stated, b4 u start talking about stuff you think u no just call a Ho alternator place, and tell them that

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1047
i have a 240 amp alternator and a batcap on the kx2500.1. they put a smaller pulley on the alternator so that it will turn faster. my lights dont dim at all. oh and i also upgraded all the wiring to 1/0(bat 2 gnd 2 engine)

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Can u tell me the place u bought it from plz if they can actually do that make it spin faster so it makes it look like its at high rpms but its not a 300A alternator id like for it to work in a 95 chevy lumina and if there is even one id consider buying one tnx or maybe i get them to install 2 alternators in my car that be even better

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
but i do have to say i had my AC going full blast and my stereo pretty loud and my voltmeter read 13.8 to 13.4 Volts so my system is fine but ill still consider a bigger alternator. and my sub wasnt clipping i know for a fact cause its sounding super great sounds nice and deep and loud and all i added was an extra battery to my stock system

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1049
Dominick Iraggi [dominick@tds.net]
this is an ebay guy. email him and tell him you want the biggest for your vehicle. he's pretty inexpensive too. thats what i did and he hooked me up with this 240 amp. my stock was 130 amp and i can tell a big difference.

Bronze Member

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 48
wow guys...i didnt intend this to be a bash fest about HO alternators and caps!

if i upgrade the big 3, then what choices do i have???

the someone please explain the purpose of a capacitor because i seem to be getting mixed signals!

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 548
these sites will help out alot:

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

http://www.bcae1.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us