Alpine CDA-9851 or Alpine CDA-9856?

Username: Blammo300

Post Number: 1
I am trying to decide betwee nthese 2 units. The 9851 is $230 while the 9856 is $200.

Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 8
I don't think you could hear the difference, so go with the one that looks better or has better options

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 899
I have the 9856, and I love it.

The 9851 is a 2005 model, so you may not be able to get it for too much longer, till they all sell out.

The 9851 is a better unit. It has a few more features that the 9856 does not. i.e.

motorized flip down face
multi-color illumination
multi-level display

Username: Disilluzion

Post Number: 1
The 9856 sucks for controlling an iPod through the HU. It is slower to scan artists than molasses. Other than that is works great...the display scrolling options aren't the greatest though...and you only have 2 to choose from.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 902
Does anyone really know the difference between a budget item and a high end item anymore?

You can usually get a decent item for about twice the amount you pay for a generic item. The step from decent to flawless is about 10 times the amount. So you really dont get much for your money because now everything costs so much more because of research mark-up, and higher cost of quality components.

I am content with my budget HU. It has the mechanics you need, plenty features, and sounds decent. I dont expect the world from this $200 unit. It spanks my old stock HU ten-fold.

Ive had expensive car and home audio systems and have been exposed to many different types/levels of equipment.

If functionability is your concern, then do not compromize price for it. If price is your concern, then dont expect much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us