MDF sub box

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 227
ok i feel pretty stuid asking about this but what is MDF? right now my box is just built out of regular 3/4 plywood. about how much does it run per sheet, and yeah any info would be nice.
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Seth_walker

U.S.A.

Post Number: 107
Its Medium Density Fiberboard. it's really dense so it doesn't vibrate or flex as much as plywood would. it costs me sbout $25 for a 4'x8' sheet.

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 295
IT ONLY COSTS 21.95 AT HOME DEPOT

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew571

Post Number: 41
I build my box out of MDF ordered through my school's shop class and the lumber ended up costing about $8.94 - then i drove around in a neighborhood under construction and robbed myself a peice of scrap PVC :D

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 297
NICE GOIN ANDREW NOW ALL U NEED TO STEAL ARE SUM BADASS WOOFERS :-O

Bronze Member
Username: Bretzy1990

Springfield, Il U.S.

Post Number: 20
quick question but does nebodey know a website or able to show me how to figure port size for a slot port.

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 301
www.carstereo.com

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 303
www.carstereo.com

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1090
Just remember, the type of building material has to do with preference. Just because a material is dense does not mean it doesn't flex! MDF flexes more than a GOOD grade of plywood. Plywood is stronger and lighter, especially Birch but the cost usually scare people away. I know of a major builder using OSB to biuld there high output boxes and trust me it doesn't flex like MDF. Polo..:-)

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1047
what is that box made out of polo? plywood?

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 222
OSB, oriented strand board.

Silver Member
Username: Zepcoe

TN Us

Post Number: 286
best you can get?

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 805
I got a 8'x4' sheet for $8 at lowes because one side was a little black from shipping.:-)

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 231
well iv got one AA assassin 12 in a box of plywood right now, do you think it is worth building a new one with MDF

Bronze Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 47
eventually the wood will like bend and stay there from the air pressure... you can wait till then, but im sure you'll eventually ubgrade your system anyway... we all do LOL

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 233
well do you think it will sound better in a mdf box

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1187
how can you say plywood doesnt flex like mdf? have you ever tried to bend a piece of mdf? its brittle and it will break because it is pressed glue and particals.. you can curve huge arcs with 1/4" plywood, if you try and do that with mdf itl snap.. yeah the higher end plywoods are very strong .. especially when they come with twice the ply .. but your standard 30 buck a sheet plywood isnt as good as mdf for rigity

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 237
well it is in a 3/4 plywood box and i dont think your going to be able to bend that and i dont think the assassin builds that much pressure to really flex it, but the problem i am having is the circle where the sub it mounted is like bump from peices of wood chipping off so air come out from around the sub, i tryed to cover it over with caulking when the sub was out but it didnt entierly fix the problem. so i was thinking about just making the ring out of MDF but i dont know if i should just build a entire new box out of just MDF, so what do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1834
just build a new box take your time on it and do it perfect

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 239
yeah im going to, but my problem is that when i cut the circle out of plywood it chipped around the edges letting air get out.

im going to build a new box

however i dont know if i should use MDF for the entire box OR if i should use a MDF ring and then have the rest of the box 3/4 ply wood

what would be the best choice

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1840
just use mdf for the whole entire box

Bronze Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 96
you guys know the wood for the 2x4's if you want a piece big enough, could you build a box with it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us