4ohm on 2ohm channel for components?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 57
Is it safe to connect 4ohm component speakers to a 2ohm channel on the amp(kenwood) or do i have to connect 2 pairs togethor for the 2ohm, or just buy 4 small amps for my mids and highs(each speaker ran at 4ohm on bridge connection) im expecting to buy component 6.5's and all with around 100-150rms each

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1991
first off, amps do not determine what ohm load, they are rated for different ohm loads, but the speakers determine actuall load, a 4ohm ohm speaker will only allow power ratings for a 4ohm load...

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 61
well ok this is what im saying..... i have a 2ch amp that says each channel is 2ohm stable and when bridge togethor it is 4ohm stable, would i be able to connect my 4ohm components to the 2ohm channel without gettin any problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2006
you would only be able to hook up 1 speaker only, not the pair if you bridge it.

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 62
What i always thought is that as long as your minimum ohm rating on the amp is less then the ohm load you should be fine, say i connect a 4ohm load to a 2ohm rated channel, i think it should be fine its what i need to know, i know if i was to wire 2 speakers togethor (either 2ohm or 8ohm) and connect them to the 4ohm(bridged channel)i would only be fine if my load is 8ohm i thought, but if it was 2ohm my amp would crap out on me or blow the speakers right? Would i be better off with wiring my front right\rear right speakers togethor for 2ohms and connect them to the amp on 1 channel and do the same for the left speakers? or would i be better off getting a few 250watt amps that are 4ohm bridged, and push each speakers with those.... give me options... what will sound the cleanest and all, but then again i never tryed connecting things at the wrong ohm because before with some subs i had wired for 4ohms blew out on me on a 2ohm channel...... ooops

Gold Member

Post Number: 2008
you can not run 2 speakers together(4ohm + 4ohm=2ohm) bridged on most amps, they are stable at 2ohms per channel. Normally you do not run speakers parrall, they will likely be out of phase. if that is a 2 channel amp, then run front speakers to 1 channel and rears to 2nd channel(2ohm load)

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 63
Ok so i connected 2 6x9's togethor for 2ohm and connected them to 1 ch of the amp, and now i get a massive feedback into my 6x9's that is real loud you can here it over my music, i checked grounds and wires and everything is good......whats broke?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2011
are yopu talking about a whine or when you step on gas it gets louder?

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 64
nothing to do with the gas, its just a whine that gets louder with the amp level, its to loud and over powers the music at any level

Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 2
John,
The guys are not getting what you are saying.
So you've got a 2ch amp, that's 2 ohm stereo stable and 4 ohm mono bridged stable thats it.
So it simply shows the lowest stable loads and you are OK to connect your 4ohm components to it:-) It's all good:-)

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 66
THANK YOU!!!!! and as for the whine..... i changed rca wires...... sounds clean :-)...... would it be bad to connect the amp with one channel pushing subs and the other pushing components? they are both fairly equal in watt ratings same ohms, i would use sw pre-out for one channel(the one pushing the subs) and the other using the front pre-out for the components... sounds clean... this is just for temporary maybe a month longest. Could this mess anything up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2015
if it is a 2 channel, no subs need to run at low pass and speakers ate high or full.

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 67
reply it is 2ch. BUT i have my LOW INPUT pushing the channel with the subs, and a HIGH INPUT pushing the components. I have 4 outputs on my HU 2 for mids\high and 2 for lows, i am using 1 from each on this amp, i mean it sounds clean and isnt giving no problem or anything but is it safe? Each component is 420watts each and each sub 500watts, fairly even wattage, both sets running at 2ohms

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 68
wtf? how did reply get in there?

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 121
kinda have the same question but I am too tired and all that up there confused me. Here is my situation. I have to 4 ohm svc component sets. If I wire them like this would it wire them down to a 2 ohm load?
http://i1.tinypic.com/xpdk3o.jpg

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 69
Im pretty sure that sould give u a 2ohm load :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 29
It's a mess:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2024
you run the components as normal through the crossover(on each side, the at the amp use both positives together and same for neg, it can be ran like tha only and only on 1 channel, not bridged mode.

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 122
Thanks. Sorry for the sloppy drawing. AutoCAD looks better but paint is quicker. thanks for the input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us