I need help ooking up my amp!

Username: Jakubman

Post Number: 4
OK so i have a 400 watt Optimist Bridgeable amp.Its a multi channel amp.I have no clue how to hook it up,It has 2 places for power and 2 ground and 4 places for RCA cable to hook up to.Im not worried about the REM right now though.Im trying to push 1 Rockford fosgate Punch HE with a peak of 400 watts.What should i do.Its farely new and the power light wont come on!PLEASE HELP!!

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 854
Well I am not sure how well hooking up 1 sub to a four channel amp will work. I wouldn't recommend it. What's this about it having 2 places to hook up power and ground? Usually that only kind of amps that need that are the ones that put out a crap load of power like 5kw. Are you sure that is what you are seeing?

Post Number: 7
It says optimist 400Watt Bridgeable.Buddy of mine says that the built in crossover dont work??So now i have a crossover with it.My old amp was sooo much easier.And i cant find it on the internet either.He was telling me to split the power wire in half and screw it in the places.And same thing with the ground.Im only running one sub to this amp though.It says its a 4-3-2 channel subwoofer crossover.What should i do??

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 863
In any case I would really suggest not using that amp. I doubt that even if you bridge 2 of the channels it still wouldn't have enough power to move that sub well. I am really confused what you are trying to tell me about you amp, never heard of anythign like that before. But yet again I suggest not using it becuase you say the crossover doesn't work anyway, and being a 4 channel amp, it will be sending all the frequncies to your sub which will sound like crap.

Post Number: 8
Ok but i have my other subwoofer same one as the one im trying to push now.If i have 2 will it work??And he also bought a crossover for it.I dont know how to hook that up either.Now am i able to use that amp yet??And why wouldnt it have enough power?The rms on my sub is 200.Peak is 400.Thanks for the help!!

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 871
So you have 2 subs that can handle 200 wrms a peice? My guess is that amp says 400 watts on the side of it right? That pretty much means they are telling you that is the max power output, the actual rms will usually be half that. Plus what are the voice coil configurations of your subs? They would have to be single 4 ohm for this to even begin to start working.

Bronze Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 38
I think you should get a new amp. You could possibly only use 1/2 of this amp for this application and that's only if the x-over worked or if you had an x-over on the HU. But anyway that amp wouldn't push that HE to it's optimum

Post Number: 9
Its an 8ohm 2'' Voice Coil.Puch HE.400 watts Peak.12incg subwoofer.And the amp is 400Watts Bridgeable amplifier.XL400.And the crossover is a Impulse 3-Way active Electronic Crossover.X3i.Cant put 2 channel into just one subwoofer??Thanks

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 873
You can put 1 sub on a four channel amp, but in your case it simply isn't going to work well at all. Especially now that you say that you have 8 ohm subs. Just do youself a favor and buy a nicer 2 channel amp that does at least 400 wrms @ 4 ohms bridged, hook those subs up in parralel for a 4 ohm load and you'll be doing good.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 236
That amp puts out 400 Real rms. That will power your sub nicly. Here is the link for the manual. If you ever want to sell it let me know..

http://support.radioshack.com/productinfo/DocumentResults.asp?sku_id=12-2018&Nam e=Amplifiers,%20Boosters,%20Equalizers&Reuse=N

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 237
Sorry, you will only get 200x2 out of it...Its not a mono amp...If you have dual voice coils put 200 into each one

Post Number: 10
Ok so what your saying is that i cant even run 1 sub to that amp good??Now im thinking about selling it or trading it for an amp that can push both my subs.I use to have a lighting audio B250.1 amp and it pushed one of them real good but not two of them that well.If your intrested in buying it let me know or trading it.It comes with the crossover to.I dont need it!But for now what should do??

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 239
do you have dual voice coils? are there 4 places to put wires in your sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
No theres only one on the sub.Single voice coil.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 240
Well then... your screwed, If it was a duel 4ohm sub you could have wired it like this. It would have put 200 watts into each of the voice coils for the 400 total. The best you can do with that is hooking it up to 2 channels bridged for a max of 200 wrms.

imo, Id get a new mono amp for the sub. Good luck.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Oh damit.Well if anyone is intrested in buying it let me know.And a crossover!Thanks for the help though!:-)

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 875
I thought you had (2) 8 ohm Punch HE subs? Am I wrong? You are going to have a hard time running a 8 omh sub all by itself becuase amps don't put out much power at that high of a load. 8 ohm subs are meant to be used in pairs, running to a 2 channel amp.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 241
what do you want for it? whats your zip? There not worth much, (check Ebay)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I do have 2 of them but only one fits in my truck right now.When i get more money im gonna get new boxes "Ported".Then ill have two.Right now the boxy i have can only fit one in the middle seat in the back.Just barely.My zip is 99577.I just checked ebay i couldnt find one.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 243
tell ya the truth i dont think id be interested. I'm running 4 optimus amps now and dont think I can fit one more in there....Anyway ill be getting rid of mine as well. At least my crossovers work so they might be worth $10-15 bucks...lol. If you cant sell it Ill pay shipping for it...Try posting it on Craigslist....
Get your self a respectible amp to push them subs,GL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Well heres what i did.I wired up 2 channels together going into one subwoofer.And my buddy Mark was right "the guy who sold it to me" he told me that the internal X over didnt work and it didnt.It kept making this crackling noise in the sub and in the amp.I was pretty scared.So now that i have the X over in my hand im gonna hook that up and be happy.All i need is some wiring and RCA cables to hook the thing up.Do they sell truck boxes that are ported and that can fit under my bench seat in my truck??Thanks!:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us