NEED ADVICE ON SUB

Username: Chirs_big

Post Number: 2
umm ok heres the deal, im looking for two 12's or 1 15 inch sub that is under $400, im going for spl, but basicly i just want it loud and to sound descent, i have a 1200watt mono amp
stats are
VISONIK DIGITAL X CLASS
V718XD *
1200 Watt Digital Amplifier

Rms Power @ 14.4V DC
1 x 500W @ 4 Ohm
1 x 600W @ 2 Ohm
1 x 900W @ 1 Ohm

Rms Power @ 17V DC
1 x 600W @ 4 Ohm
1 x 900W @ 2 Ohm
1 x 1200W @ 1 Ohm

Dimensions (H x W x L)
2.9" x 10.8" x 12.4"

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6820
do u realize ur alternator does around 13.8v at idle , so its gonna be really hard to see those numbers.

Also i bet that amp is really overrated, have u bought the amp yet???

Post Number: 3
im not sure if my alternator is 13.8, im drivining a 2000 honda accord, 4 cylinder, with 4 doors, i dont know how i would figure otu my alternators V, and i bought the amp alrdy and it sounds pretty good

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 641
Your alternator DOES do about 13.8 volts. That amp is overrated. It most likely puts out closer to 600 watts at 1 ohm. Not 900. What is your budget on the subs?

Post Number: 4
my budget on subs are 400$ or maybe a little more
no more than 450$
and just curious how wouldi find out for sure how much my altenator V is

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1454
lol just get a kicker L7 if you just want SPL

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 642
Almost all stock alts put out around 13.6-13.8 volts.
For a single 15" - http://www.ascendantaudio.com/havoc_page.html
For 2 12" - http://www.ascendantaudio.com/arsenal12specs.html

The single 15 can handle 1500 rms.
The 2 12"s can handle 1500 rms(750 apiece)
2 12"s for 440
single 15 for 425
And eventually you can get a better amp to really give them some power.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 643
You could also just get a pair of 2 ohm svc kicker cvr's

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1455
he doesnt' have that much RMS comming out of his amp... he'd be under powering them BIG time... not that it REALLy matters

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 644
Well he said 400 - 450 and those are my suggestions for that price range. An l7 or a pair of cvr's would probaly serve him better but thats only around 200-300 dollars.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1457
yea, but if you offer subs that have 1500 RMS, and he'll be pushing out around 800 RMS because its "900RMS @ 1 ohm at 14 Volts" he'll be underpowering them and it might sound good but it wouldn't be that loud? right?

Bronze Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 34
400 bucks a pair of M3 12's gotta find a memphis dealer or you could use www.woofersetc.com, go to memphis there in the 200 dollar range

Post Number: 5
thx guys, i was looking in to the havoc, but i was afraid i might underpower it so much that it wont be too loud?? but i dont know too much about this stuff so do you think that the havoc on that amp would get the job done, because eventually i will get a better amp

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 645
Just because a sub is rated at 1500rms doesnt mean that it won't be loud at 800 rms. And in the future he can eventually get a bigger amp and won't have to worry about having to get new subs. Its just a suggestion. A 12 inch XX.X at 300 watts rms will play about as loud as a kicker cvr at the same wattage level. Even to the XX.x Can handle 1600 rms. It might be a waste, but it could also save him money in the future.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 646
Yes, The havoc will def. get the job done on that amp ( as long as you don't clip the amp) and you won't have to replace your subs if you buy a more powerful amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 37
if i were you i would go memphis, amazing stuff, it WILL be what you were looking for, period.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 647
A single 15inch havoc will destroy a pair of m3's in spl. And still sound good doing it. If you were to purchase the M3's, you could not get a bigger amp unless you also upgraded your subs. For 25$ more the havoc is a better deal. IMO

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1410
you could always use that 400-450 to get a nice sub and upgrade your amp if you wanted, ans sell the one you have for more $$

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 648
Damn Troy, givin them M3's 8000 watts of pure Legacy power.

Post Number: 6
the memphis subs might be too expensice, because i was just lookin at them, and they are quite hefty in price, i haven ever heard of memphis can anyone explain if they are they great and like what they can be compared to??

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 649
Memphis makes some very nice equipment. But for the price the Havoc is a better deal. Both companies have good build quality. Those M3's handle 300 watts apiece. The Havoc handles 1500 watts. I would go for the Havoc due to the fact that you are looking for spl.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2758
http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-ZEUS-ZX1000-1000-watts-2-CH-AMP-NEW_W0QQitemZ971854 5209QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=9 4

theres a killer setup. then sell your amp for $50.

orrrrrrrr... get the havoc... dont install it, and save up about 400$ and get an amp that can power it.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 650
He could hook it up to the visonik as long as he is careful with the gains.(clipping will destroy a sub.)

Post Number: 7
umm that looks like a pretty good system, but im not gonna go adn sell my amp for only 50$, im pretty sure i cant get more cause retail value of it is somwhere around 350$
but i havent heard much about this crystal comp brand or what brand of sub u linked, are they good as treo or better and what about ascendant audio, how do they compare

Post Number: 8
and wait!! what exaclty is clipping?? and how wouldi do that, because im guessing i need to make sure i dont??
p.s. sry for being such a noob at this stuff

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2761
clipping is when a signal, which looks like a wave, is amplified so that the top and bottom are cut off, or "clipped" off, so the signal is no longer clear. this will cause extra heat on the VCs and will blow your sub. by turning the gains up too much or turning the volume up too much on your Hu you can clip a signal. and as far as crystal.... great sub, chauncy has heard them and is in love with them. ive only read reviews and have yet to read a bad one. if you can get a Treo TSX 15 that would be great too. ... and your not going to get 350 for that amp... sorry.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 654
Clipping is when your amp tries to put out more power it acttually can. This creates a square sine wave.

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 655
What trevor said. Crystal and Ascendant are to great companies, but I wouldn't compare them to Treo. The TSX or the havoc are your two best bets IMO. And you def. won't get any where neat 350 for that amp. Maybe 200 if you ebay it. probally closer to 100.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2764
nick- are you saying crystal and ascendant arent up to Treos level? dollar for dollar i think they are... but of course Treo has super subs that handle TONS of power... they are also a fortune though..

Post Number: 9
i wasnt sayin i would get 350 im sayin retail value of it brand new, i can sell it to my friend for 200,
but how do i avoid clipping, is there some special settings i nedd to put my amp on or what??

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 658
If you hear distortion from your sub. Turn it down. Set the gains to the output voltage on your HU. And don't turn the bass boost up all the way.

Post Number: 10
ill c if i can figure all that out

Silver Member

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 659
IMO Crystal and Ascendant are very close to, but not quite equal to the build quality of treo drivers. Treo drivers are VERY underated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us