Trying to run 2 amps together......

Bronze Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 66
im running my power remot ground into one amp
then running another wire from that amp into each in the other amp..when ever i change song, channel, power on the small amp cuts out(the one im using for 6x9s) the amp basically goes on protect for 5 secs then comes on... but then wen i start mycar an outrages humming noise... not a lil whistle a huuuuge whistle... wondering what im doing wrong? Thanks.

Username: Dontcare

Post Number: 7
Run your power and ground to seperate distribution blocks, then to each amp. If it's goin on to protect, it could be a couple things. Your amp might be overheating and going into protect, or your speaker wires might be touching. What's your total amperage pull and what guage wire you runnin? About the humming noise, your probably getting inerference through your rca's. Is your power wire ran next to your rca's? If so run your power and rca's on opposite sides of your car.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 887
Power wire next to your RCA's is a myth.. It wont cause noise. I tested this myself (literally wrapped my RCA's around my power wire, and I'm pulling over 200 amps of current)

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 68
well my rca and power are on different sides of the cars, and how do i find out how many ampperage im pulling?

Bronze Member
Username: Van_man

Post Number: 26
Sounds like a bad ground...You may have a ground loop. are they grounded together, one common ground? Also when using the rem wire for multiples, you should use a relay.

Bronze Member
Username: Gkaste

Post Number: 26
Whats better, one ground point for two amps or two different ground points?

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 74
wat u mean by relay

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 64
Most stock romote wires do not have the power to turn on multiple items. You can damage the HU. Get a 30 amp relay from radio hack or where ever and hook it up like this. All you have to do is connect 85 to your decks remote output wire, and 86 to ground. Then, connect 30 to a fused 12 volts source, and 87 to your outgoing remote line. Remember that the relay can carry up to 30 amps, but if your wire can only handle 10 amps, you should use a 10 amp fuse. 87a is not used, but I recommend taping up that pin, or pulling the wire out of the base, so that it does not short out.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 75
ok went n bought the dam thing... i run a wire from 86 put it into my ground where my amps r grounded... i run my remote wire(extended into my trunk) into 85. i cut a small slit in the remote wire run a wire from it to amp 1 then a wire from amp 1 to amp 2 remote. i think where i messed up isrunning 30 to a fused 12 volt source... idk what that means btu i took a gfuess and ran 30 to my power terminal on an amp. can anyone tell me wat i did wrong or any kind of help... thanks.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 76
ok now i just re read that and i saw that 87 is suppose to be outgoing remote so i put wire on there wired it to amp 1 then ran wire from amp 1 to 2 start my car and it still makes that outrages noise.... so im guessing im not using the right power source for the relay?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Whats better, one ground point for two amps or two different ground points?

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 77
please stop posting on my thread if it dont contain to the topic, make your own.

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 75
Hey Rick, did you try powering on each amp by itself to see if you can find out if just one amp is causing it? Make sure its wired like this...

Upload

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 76
Forget the wiring directions, Just follow diagram.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I am on topic, settle down Rick.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 78
marc when i run power into the relay, do i also have to run the same power wire into the amp or just the relay

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 78
Just relay.. The relay picks up the remote signal and sends it to the amps.

Upload

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 79
do u think it coudl be soemthing with the rcas?? my smaller amp has rca input and output... i run my rcas from my HU to the small amp rca in then run antoher set of rcas from small amp output rcas to theo nly set of the bigger amp rca input. also i noticed if i put my whipers on... it will make humming/whistling noise to how fast my whipers go.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 81
what im askin is what to i connect into the 12v? my power wire from my battery?

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 79
Ok... Well the relay will not help... It wont hurt to install it tho...Sounds like a bad ground some where.. Ground both amps at the same point keeping the wire as short as practiple..Make sure the wire gage is a least the same size as the power wire. Make sure the ground wire from the battery to the fender, firewall is ok. wont hurt to upgrade it either. if all else fails try a ground loop isolator. I am running 5 amps and have one just before entering my amps. It deffinatly cut out all the wining and buzzing. I even removed the door open and headligts on buzzer under the dash because it was being AMPED thru my speakers. Now even with the volume off there is no noise. Luckily, they only cost @ 10.00

Upload

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 82
and where can i grab one of them at

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 83
and where can i grab one of them at

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 83
Radio hacks or wallymart I got mine at an electronics store. Save the package to bring back if it doesnt work... Most importantly check all your grounds again. 9 out of 10 its a weak ground some where that causes noise in the system. I thought I had a bad amp cuase the noise only happened when i connected the fifth amp. Out of fustration I got the Ground loop thing and it worked...
To check your grounds...
Run a wire from the battery neg to the HU ground wire.
Make sure HU case is grounded, use same wire going to the bat.
Scrape paint away from where the amps ground out to chassis. If you have a DMM check the ground at the amp for continuity and ohm reading. You want as little a reading as possible. See what it is between battery neg and ground and see if its the same or near enough at the amps..

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 84
Any one else have ideas???

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 85
marc thanks for all the help so far... im gona go buy one of them groudn isolaters today...but i think its the location of my ground... but i dont know anywhere else to put it right now its on the back of my back seat in my trunk, like u kno how theres metal on the back of the seat , its there , should it be sonmewhere else.?

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 86
Yes, Move it to bare metal, Wire brush it first. READ THE FIRST RESPONSE I GAVE YOU....
"Sounds like a bad ground...You may have a ground loop. are they grounded together, one common ground? "
I give up...Good luck...

Username: Vafire10

Post Number: 1
I have 8ga. power going to the back/Org.I got the wireing packedge for 350 watts if this helps. The amp it is normalily connected to is a SONY 600 watt amp. I currently have 1 12" Sony. peak 1100 watts. My question to you professionals is there anyway i can run a second AMP the same as i have and not be worried about pulling to much power through my power wire causeing it to heat/melt/Fire? Or do i need to be rewired for more watts? Thank You,

Vafire10
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us