Getting new Subs. HELP!

Username: Stnorris

Post Number: 1
I have a sony xplod 1200 watt channel amp. I have it hooked up to 2-12" rockford subs which are bout 400 watts peak power. Sealed box. I also have a kenwood kdc-128 cd player, which isnt very good. It barely puts out bass on my sony xplod 260 watt speakers, compared to a good pioneer cd player. And i wasnt sure if it was also putting out less "power" to my amp for the subs.

My subs now sometimes max out on rap and are really loud. When i play stuff like as i lay daying or avenged sevenfold, my subs aren't sensitive at all and arent even half as loud as they are on rap.

How much of a difference would there be if i got 2-12" sony xplod 1300 watts peak subs, for sensitivity for metal stuff, and also loudness.

And - do i need a new cd player to get more power to my amp?

THANKS.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Slowcala, FL The one that...

Post Number: 2943
wow.....you have a LOT to learn....

have a seat my young apprentice.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 329
the HU just sends a signal to turn the amp on, and no HU outs a hole lot of power to the speakers, put an amp on your 260 watt speakers. man quit with the sony crap, thats the root of all your problems.

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 330
Muddy! im still learning too man...

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 142
hmm...not much of a difference, xplods suck. It's probably your amp, try adjusting the settings, and save up for sumthin new.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2944
first of all.....stop with the Max and peak watt ratings.....RMS is your new best friend....these are the True continuous watts that everything puts out and can handle as well.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 143
What he is saying is your "1200 watt" amp is probably only putting out about 300 watts, if your lucky.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2945
secondly.....you need to stay away from Sony, Rockford, and Kenwood.......they are junk simply put.

thirdly......you need to amplify your door speakers.....they will sound way better and be much louder when you do so.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 144
Muddy, i thought some of rockfords were descent? I was thinking about some of their older like amps, like the 1000.1bd, is this a good amp?

Steven, When you said "sony 260 watt speakers", are they door speakers or like 6x9s?

Post Number: 5
im really planning on getting the 1300 watt PEAK POWER (using it for reference) subs. all i want to know is how much of a difference will they be from the 400 watt Peak power subs i already have sensitivity wise and volume wise.

Post Number: 6
6 x 9s

Gold Member

Post Number: 2946
old rockford is pretty good stuff....but most people don't know that. and there t.o.t.l. stuff is good.....but there is better.:-)

if your amp isn't doing the job on the Rf's. what makes you think getting subs that can handle more power is going to make them louder?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 145
PEAK POWER means nothing. They can say anything for this number. Look at rms b/c thats what the sub actually handles. PEAK is just to make ppl go "wwoooww".
You definately want to put an amp on the 6x9s, you'll notice a huge difference. Your head unit will only put out about 15 watts to each.

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 338
6x9's arent great for sound quality, i have heard tho...?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 147
Muddy, check out my post and tell me which amp you think i would be best off gettin. I dont have much money left and ill probably be saving up, not lookin for much more than $500 tho.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/218666.html

Steven, muddy made a good point, upgrading your subs wont help if your amp isnt pushing your subs now. You need to get a better amp and see how it sounds, then maybe get different subs. How much do you have to spend?

Post Number: 8
thats exactly what i was wondering. I heard this other kid i knows system and he has the 1000 watt sony xplod amp and his stuff was way louder than mine when he was running 1-10" 600 watt max subs and i have 2-12" 400 watt max subs. i wanted to know if i got new subs they could have a higher sensitivity and be louder cause of the power handling. But it that wasnt making sense to me.

another thing: my subs were the same volume bridged and not bridged...?

Post Number: 9
he was running 2-10' subs***

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 149
Yea...probably because your amp isnt putting out much power. Are your subs DVC, 4ohm, etc.? If you want to get something louder and soudn good try 2 12" AA assasins or 2 10" assasins, which are onsale now. Also, save up and get a better amp. Check out the website http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin_page.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 2950
bridged and not bridged......
that would mean oyu are changing the way you wire it to the amp???????

if so then you are changing the impedance of the subs to the amp and the amp can't put out as muvhpower depending on whether they are parallel or series.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2951
as much power***

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 340
QUIT WITH THE "MAX" WATTS SH!T its useless if you guys are running 600 watts max crap... then your using like 10 inch lagacy's and sht... next time u look at your stuff LOOK FOR RMS not max... u get all your stuff to get the max wattage, u will have real empty pockets and a hole lot of crappy equipment... like right now.

Post Number: 10
normally amps with a high max watts, has a high or higher rms than an amp with a lower max watts...

astro - feel free to completely argue what i just said even though im actually right on that.

anybody got AIM? tell me your aim name cause i want to talk to you

Gold Member

Post Number: 2952
xmudwaters1x

remove the x's.....but i am going to bed shortly:-)

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 152
Actually man your not really right. Generally on good brands maybe, but not on things like sonys. you could buy a 800watt max kicker amp, or a 2000 watt max xplod. And you would get more watts rms from teh kicker than the xplod garanteed.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1560
sorry buddy but your wrong about the whole max power thing its not true sony and other crappy companies use max power to draw in people that dont know sh!t about car audio just to wow them if you have a 1000 watt at max your prob only putting ou about 300 and im saying at one ohm trust us on this sony might make good tv's and whatever else but in car audio they have to be one of if not the worst company out there

Silver Member

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 347
take this... dont pay attention to max watts at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
200 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohm

those are the ratings for the amp.

jordan - you are wrong. a 2000 watt max sony amp can get up to 800 watts rms, which is the peak of the 800 kicker. I dont think that kicker amps RMS is as much as its peak. LOL.

anyways..is that good for the RMS on my amp..because i have seen this amp perform better than mine...and im still wondering if a big factor is the subs i have!!

The subs rms i have is 200 watts.

AND also, the amp doesnt SUCK..when i play rap its loud enough to hear from blocks away and its clear and punches good. I just want it to sound louder on metal music and hardcore music.
I have seen the amp perform good before on other peoples system with this type of music, and my subs arent having a response like theres were.

RMS good or bad?

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 156
I was just saying in general. Most of the time good brands put rms on there, and dont even mention max b/c its irrelevant. That rms isnt too bad actually, assuming that it actually does that. Is your amp black wit red XPLOD on it? b/c if it is they have potential to sound descent.
do you use the LPF? if you do, try turning it to full when you play rock, or adjusting the Filter to a higher frequency for rock.

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 321
thats good rms for a small amp, but like everyone else said you probably aint really seeing that from a sony amp. sony is by far one of the worst companies as far as car audio go.

good rule of thumb is if they sell it at walmart, then it don't belong in a car (with the exception of pioneer hu).

and i seriously doubt you're being heard from blocks away with that small (and crappy, lol) of a set up. do you have a budget for new subs/amps?

as far as a 2000w maxx beating a kicker 800w maxx amp, i doubt it. sony highly overrates there products, and its common knowledge that kicker underrates their amps.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 157
Definately post a budget. My first system was a Fosgate P1 12 ina bandpass box. At the time i thought it was good, as you are with your fosgates. But now that I've learned alot from these guys I'm bout to have 2 Treo 15s in my trunk :-). What I'm saying is, that if your looking for sumthin better and have a lil to spend, they'll set you up in your budget, but if you want to stay with what you got, your at about the best your going to get with your set up.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6633
Aim. ChaunChaun3000

Username: Specbook562

Post Number: 1
jordan dont know how much you spending my friend but with 300-400 per sub you can get something that sounds good and is worth it

Gold Member

Post Number: 2953
are your subs Dual 2 or 4 ohm??
and what is your subwoofer set to on your HU? 80hz......50hz....

Bronze Member
Username: _jay_

Post Number: 70
just get a better amplifer and you'll be fine, buy a kicker or hifonics one that is decently rated, kicker does put out usualy around 200-300 watts more then it is rated just to let you know..
-JaY
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us