Question for marshall and other box experts

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 675
I am going to build a new box for my 3 10's, and the manufacturer recommends 3 net cubes tuned to 30 Hz. Right now I have 3 net cubes tuned to 35 Hz.

I definitely want to tune a good amount lower, because let's face it; annihilating, whomping lows just sound so much cooler than a loud kick drum...

My question for you is, other than the safety factor, what is the difference in sound between a simple box with an L shaped port, and a 3 separate chamber box, with each sub having it's own port.

This will obviously be much more labor intensive, and I want to know if there is a large benefit to having separate chambers, or if I should just remake the same box I have now but with a 30 Hz tune.

Also, the Vas on my subs is 5.79 cuft, doesn't that mean that these subs would play the flattest in a very large box? Or is the equivalent compliance not directly used when calculation optimum box volume?

Should I use insulation? Any tips you can give? This box will be used only for daily, with SQ as my primary objective.

Sorry for the megapost. Thanks a lot.

P.S. Whoever gives the best advice will get to see their idea come to life with tons of pictures when I build it.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 679
Upload
Bump

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 886
Model your sub in WinISD to get a general representation of what box size and tuning will do to your output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us