Problem with size

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

USA

Post Number: 306
now that i got my car and its nice out i got a chance to measure the room in my trunk for subs... turns out i have just 13 1/2 inches from top to bottom for my subs and it would be cutting it VERY VERY close for room for them would it be better to go with 3 10" subs instead of the 2 12"? i figure i have 2.19 cubic feet total if i were to make one solid box... for the 3 10" i would have .68 cubic feet... for the 2 12" i would have 1.057 cubic feet... these measurements are both in sealed boxes not ported like i wanted originaly and without the sub dispacement... isnt there stuff i can put in it to fool the sub into making it believe it has more space then what it actually has? and would it be enough to get the right volume for the subs? im confused now that i know all my measurments....

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7364
Its called 'fibre fill' - somehow IMO i wont depend it though

a 12" type R only needs 0.85cuft optimum volume

u have 2 go check different brands what vol each requires ......

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 273
can you fit a 15" sub?

and i think the stuff for boxes is called poly fill. i've never used it so can't help you out on the exact amount to use. i thought i read somewhere before it like one pound for every cu. ft. but don't take my word on it.

and i'd probably go with the 10"s, or maybe a w7. what kind of set up your going for?

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 705
he only has 13 1/2" from top to bottom of his trunk so im pretty sure he wont be fitting a 15 in there..

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 795
What kind of car?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 307
it's a 78 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supremem Brougham but yea there is no way in hell im gona fit a 15" sub in there but i like what i hear about eclipse thats why i have choosen them for my subs im just not sure if i can get them any more with so little room in my trunk thats why i asked about the 3 10" vs. the 2 12"

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 309
idk if i would be cutting it to close trying to get 2 12" subs in that little area and cutting the box volume short by quite a bit or if i should go with the 3 10" and be just a hair short in box volume and be able to balance that with some poly fill wich would be the better choice for SQL

Bronze Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 77
I've seen 2 15"s fit in a supreme. You just have to make the front of the box slanted. Do you have the 4 door? If the brougham edition has the same size trunk as the regular 4door supreme then it can be done. If i'm not mistaken it was 2 15" Crossfire subs and a 1000watt crossfire amp. Sounded inside until you got over half way. you might want to invest in some edead or other dampening b/c it would rattle crazy and cover up the bass once it was turned up and really sounded bad coming up the street.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2542
....funny thread title lol...

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 80
I thought the same thing LMAO.

Silver Member
Username: Kunit

Post Number: 109
hheheh ...Size does matter in the back of a cutlass supreme!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 310
no its a 2 door and if i REALLY wanted to i could go and extend it way out into the trunk to make enough room for the sub to fit in along with box volume but it would get very complicated doing it that way and i want to keep it simple ill try to get pictured tomorow to show ya

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 88
So your trunk is like 13 1/2" from the floor to the back deck, but if you slant the front of the box they'll still fit under the back deck. Idk how this would sound, but y not have them facing up.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1618
why don't you go with one 10 or 12 really good sub ported, maybe a eclipse ti, i hear they like small boxes.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 311
no from the deepest part of the floor to the top of the trunk there is more then 13.5" i just still want room for my golf clubs and stuff in there and if i put them facing up it would fire right into the trunk wich would rattle like no other ...dustin i wouldnt mind getting a ti but i want sql and wouldnt 2 aluminums put out more bass then one 1 ti? thats why i thought about switching to the 3 10's and cause it would be easier to place them in there.... and paying the 600 for the 3 10" aluminums is really pushing it for my budget thats gona take several months to get that money

Bronze Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 96
Anyway you put the subs in there it will rattle, unless you put some dampening in. If i was you i would go with 2 12s that work good sealed and add some poly fil to make the box seem a lil bigger.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 429
well I'm not sure but I think you miss measured the trunk space. As I remember the older older cutlass, the trunk was big enuff to hold 2 dead bodies and a set of golf clubs. I figure if I can fit 2 12's in the trunk of a cavalier you can fit at minimun that and should be able to go 2 15's depending on box design. You have to think outside of the box. hahaha play on words

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 313
Upload
Upload

k there are the pictures of my trunk along with mine and my friends golf bags the area were our golf bags are at i dont plan on invading its the black carpated area just above them inbetween the trunk hinges and wheel wells is where i plan on making my box that is were i only have 13.5" from top to bottom

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2829
You know you are a basshead when: The car salesman asks you why you won't buy the car he is trying to sell you and you reply, "Cuz it doesn't have enough room for more than one sub". lol

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 840
Dude, you need to make a choice. An 78 old has a huge @ss trunk and you can fit 15's in there, I had a 77. The box will need to be in the rear of the trunk and not under the speaker deck. There are a lot of people here with there boxes in the far rear. Get a ported twin 15's box face it to the rear and be sure to dampen the whole drunk with e-dead or dynamat, you gonna need it. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 314
polo i aint gona go with 15's back there i dont need that much bass im a metalhead i enjoy my rock and roll/metal music i dont wana over do the bass and if i were to keep it under the speaker deck it would keep my trunk looking cleaner then if i were to just toss a sub box in the back with massive subs and call it good

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 315
ok then ill stay with the 2 12" and just make the box come out further and follow the slope down to try and keep the box looking clean and put quite a bit of polly fill in it... would ya recomend me to port it for sql or should i just leave it sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Dankum

Post Number: 142
sealed= smaller box

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1422
if you went sealed you could go with a smaller box and you will most liekyl have beter sq not def though ported will get louder though

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 316
so a sealed box would be better for SQL then?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7434
depends on the sub but generally - yup ....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us