6.5s comps in front and rear.

Bronze Member
Username: Krazyj

Ky

Post Number: 12
Im sure this topic has been talked about before but i am lost here. In the front i have 6.5 spots and in the rear i have 6x9 spots. i plan on putting a 6.5 comp set in the front(amped). should i do the same for the rear or should i put a 6x9 coaxial in the rear? if so should i amp the 6x9? or what some1 help me out here

Bronze Member
Username: Nanbakat

Mexico CityMexico

Post Number: 30
There is no need to put anything in the rear ports unless you have passengers back there often.

Definitely put in some good quality comps in the front. In the rear it might be a good idea to keep the 6x9 for decent bass, unless you have a subwoofer. 6x9 speakers do not have good sound quality. Use your HU to filter the high frequency signals to the rear speakers (send them only to the comps in front) and use them for bass only. Don't spend money on the rears...spend everything you have on the front comps and spend no more than 50 bucks on the rear speakers.

You will need to amp the comps to get the best out of them. Amping the 6x9 speakers will be good, too, so that you get some bass.

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 13
i plan on having subs

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5474
If sound in the rear is important to you, then get 4 channel amp.
If SQ is more important, then get high quality 2 channel amp, remove 6x9" in the rears and use the holes as "bass ports."
You'll get more bass into the cabin that way.
If money is no object, then look at JL W7 in a HO box. It'll sound louder than couple of 12" subs.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 606
I would get a good 2 or if possible a 3way setup up front, nothing in the rear and a good sub setup in the rear. IMO I would actually spend a little more on a HU and get something good like an Eclipse 5000 that will give you time alignment, crossover and a good PEQ to use. This will help tune your system and really make it shine. And yes no rears unless you are the taxi for your friends.

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 14
where would i put the third driver, i have a spot for the woofer and a tweeter.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5479
Not a 3rd driver, but 3way as in mid bass, mid range, and tweeter or 2way, mid bass and tweeter.
Go with 2way, it's less complicated.

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 15
so i need a comp set up front(3 way if possible)no rear, and subs

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 609
I love my 3way setup here it is and locations

ES-630 and drt-26 tweeter-6.5 woofer with braxial mounted tweets in doors
HD-5-5.25 woofer in custom kick panel

Gives a good midbass and blends so well with the sub. With the proper time alignment done you can hardly tell where the bass is coming from it all sounds like its up front.

A 2ay is easier to do though and to setup so I guess it depends on how much you know and want to do. If you want a good 2way setup I can sell you some CDT ES series for a crazy price is you post more pics!!! LOL... just messing, but if you need components i can set you up with some since i'm a dealer for CDT.

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 16
in the pinkn30401388_30462168_6046.jpg

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 17
alter i have a ?.......when a component set of speakers says it can handle 100watts rms does that mean both the left and thr right, or does it mean 100rms each..meaning u would need 200watts for a component set that is 100 watts rms?

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 613
if it says 100rms thats per side so 200rms total. Most components especially CDTs are underrated. Like the EF-61 say like 120rms but will really shine at 150rms. If you like take a look at my site and look at the different components. www.alteraudiousa.com

And hey you got cute friends too!!! Damn temptations, on break with my GF! lol....man, i'm getting that "i'm single" thing kicking in....o well, 23 and single who enjoys car audio, laid back and likes to wine and dine!!! lol..we need a singles forum!

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 18
thanx alter,as i put my system together i will let you know and maybe you can make sure i do this right

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 19
would it be safe to get a 3 way comp set set from CDT mount the 6.5 in the door spot and mount the 4 and the tweeter in a q-logic kick panel?

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 617
yeah definitely, i wouldn't use the Q logic for the 6.5 but for the four it should work, you may want to get someone to build a baffle for the underside of the kickpanel just so the 4in has something nice to screw into. But that would work quite well, its kinda what I did but I went with a larger 5.25 in the kick and mod'd it up pretty well. Which set are you looking at getting? Email me at sales@alteraudiousa.com and i'll get you a quote on it.

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 20
CL641 CDT Audio Classic 4/6.5 3-Way Component Speakers

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 621
Whats your budget for the comps? I would go for the HD or even the ES. Like I said email me and i'll get you a quote on them or post your email and i'll send one to you.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 602
Where abouts are you Located Jo Beth? You look vaguely familiar...

(ps. no need for exact town or anything, not some creepy stalker...lol)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7397
LOL ! ^^^

i must say she is a pretty good looking chick & her friends are quite nice too ! ......

Upload

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 21
thanx guys, so i heard its not a good idea to use q-forms? and who has the best 3way comp set for around $500 or less

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 625
the Q logic will be fine if you have a baffle behind it. You're only sticking a 4in in it so it should be enough for it. I would not use it for a 5.25 or a 6.5 at all but for a 4in you'll be good. If you email me Jo Beth i'll get you price on the HD-642 and the CL-641 and I can quote you on a mix and match of different drivers from CDT for a 3way setup. I

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 626
Jo Beth, i sent you a Pm or email whichever it went to.

Username: Cbtizzy

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 10
I didn't go on to finish reading everyone's post. I'm new to this whole forum thing and I hope nobody gets p-ed off at me but a... I completely disagree with this whole thing of comps in the front and nothing in the back but some bass or subs. I strive really hard for sound imaging and unless you have unbelievably amazing comps or whatnot in the front you will completely mess up the whole system. Right now I have coxials all around, and I've tuned it just right and my sound is BEAUTIFUL!!! not to brag of course. But yeah you can hear it all, the quality is amazing! If you really want something impressive you shouldn't take the advice of having comps in the front only. You need at least a pair of descent coxials in the rear, if you care about quality as much as I do. A friend of mine and myself own a recording studio and he's an engineer, so he knows audio and he is very impressed with my sound and I'mnot even close to my finished project. I'm looking to get compenants as well, because I imagine it'll be better for imaging, having the tweeter on the cone(coxial speakers) interfer with each other, its NOT bad! but its not as GOOD you know what I mean? So my suggest. is... definitely go for the comps in the front, thats great, but definitely get something! for the rear. Remember that the rear speakers aren't for the backseat drivers! they're for the overall quality and fullness of your system.

Bronze Member

Ky

Post Number: 22
i really dont know what to do

Bronze Member

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 11
I was really into Pioneer Premier stuff when I just started doing the car audio thing. I had the DEH-P8MP(a $500 HU at the time) and I had bought an Alpine CDA-9847 and replaced my HU with it and the quality was noticably better, not a big diff but it was better and the Alpine was cheaper, since then I got into Alpine and I'm a big fan. The other day I went to Tweeters to check out a few speakers and compared them all and overall I liked the Alpine TypeR SPR-17LS above the rest around the same price range. If you don't mind buying from ebay you can get a pair of the component speakers for about $150 and that includes shipping. So two sets... $300 you would have a great sound!!! And I mean real good. Those are what I'm looking to get as soon as possible. They're a little deep though(the mounting depth) so I might have to get some kickpanels for my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
But from the reviews I read if you give em the right power, you wouldn't even need a sub. But as far as clarity and all that jazz, I think these speakers are great.

And uh Alter you said that the Q Logic Kick panel isn't good for 6.5. Do you know where I can get some different ones. I really don't wanna cut into my doors to make those speakers fit. Where can I find good kick panels for my Cherokee?

Bronze Member

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 12
Sorry I write so much, I work nights and I'v got nothing better to do

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 639
Tweet, for your Cherokee having rear speakers is good due to cabin size but for a sedan like Jo Beth's rears aren't a need if you get good enough fronts. I have a Galant and with just my 3way components up front I have better SQ than many shops customer installs. Fullness of music is really only in your head. Considering concert and symphonies are always frontstage and so are recording studio's "fullness" is how well you perceive left and right. Only a 5.1 setup needs to have rear speakers for fullness from front and rear, left and right. And you will always need a subwoofer for a complete system. There is alot of "music" you can miss without one.

As for the Q logic kick, if you get one you would need to mod it to have stiffer walls, mount a MDF baffle on the backside of the mounting plate to give the speaker a better mounting place, and try and seal up most of the back side of the panel with FG or dynamat. You really want to make sure the kick panel is as flush to the floor as you can get.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us