Box building

Bronze Member
Username: Gkaste

Post Number: 22
Under the rear deck in my trunk is a mere 13". By building a sealed box with an angled front, I can make it 13.5" outside, 12" inside. Is this going to be okay for a 12" sub, or is it too close to the walls?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7354
dude u build boxes based on volume the sub requires

use this vol calculator

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 884
When a speaker is labled 12" it means it is roughly 12" in diameter on the outside. It may be as big as 12.5" and as small as 11.5".

The cutout is usually 3/4" - 1" smaller than the outside dimmensions to leave room for the mounting lip.

So if you have 12" of inner space you will probably have some problems with the edges being left too thin between the cutout and the edge of the board. I usually like to have at least 1" between the cutout and the edge of the "baffle" board. This gives me enough cushion so that the "baffle" remains strong enough. If you have less than 1" it may not seal right and probably come undone due to vibration, especially if you plan on using it for a subwoofer application.

If you are limited to vertical space, but can afford a double front baffle, then do it. Just remember that you only cut the outer baffle the right size, and the inner baffle you may get away with undersizing it by about an inch. That 1-2" will give you better strength.

Bronze Member
Username: Gkaste

Post Number: 25
Thank you Rovin for your oh so pointless comment. Of course you build a box based on volume, that however did not answer my question.

I know I can build the box plenty strong. I just wanted to make sure that having a sub so close to the walls will not cuase any problems as far as sound quality goes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us