Big Decision

Bronze Member
Username: Do_em_dirty816

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 74
I have big decision that i need to make... I have 2 infinity 1230w's and i want a good clean sq system. This means i want as little rattle as possible, but this also means i want it to sound good on the inside and out. So do you guys think i should just put in one and keep the other as a back up. By the way its going in a 97 sunfire so 1 sub might hit.

Bronze Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 61
I'd put in both in a ported box, not too big. I had 2 that got stolen and they sounded great. Y not just use sum Edead or Dynamat to stop the Rattle?

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 75
well that is an option.... but for some people I hear dynamat doesnt help.. also has any body ever ported their rear deck because that may give some extra bass into the car.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 77

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 781
Pontiacs are known for there plastic rattles. This is difficult to eliminate but it's not impossible. I have a 2001 Pontiac GP GTP that also has a lot of plastic. I used a lot of Dynamat and it does its job well but it isn't gonna stop the plastic pieces from rattling. I removed by back deck piece along with my third brake lite. I will be strategically super gluing certan pieces in place to help quiet them. Use some imagination, glue and some good music to help with your noise problem If you really want to help remove your back seat and measure between the strut towers to see what size of a box you could slide in from the inside, not trunk area, even if you need to cut a little to make it pefectly square. Once you get a box in place seal off the rest of the trunk to help eliminate sound from going into the trunk and only into the cabin are. Maybe remove the back seat and post a picture for us, Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1178
1. IMO, I would go sealed if you want sq. I have a 1230 in my gf's car and it sounds excellent, and still gets loud when I want it too. Also had it in a ported box, but didn't sound as good.

2. Dynamat is way over-rated. There's so many other products that you can buy that remove rattles and cost a lot less.

3. Most people just remove the rear speakers and leave the hole there for bass to enter. You have to be careful when "porting" the rear deck because you could affect the frequencey of the box. Don't the seat fold down in those sunfires? I have the same problem too. My rear deck is blocking a lot of bass and my seats don't fold down. What I did was turned my sub box around so the subs faced the cabin, moved it right to the back of my trunk (box is right there when you open the trunk) and let it fire that way. It removed about 50% of my rattles and sounded a lot louder. Something for you to try too. Just experiement with different box locations and you see what's best :-)

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 80
sounds like a good idea but I dont think I want to do anything that dramastic. If pontiacs are known for rattling I think i'll probably just go with one and maybe cut out 2 oval holes out of the rear deck. If not how would taking out the rear deck speakers and leaving the grills and just getting some really good (high price speakers).

PS: How do you guys think this sytem would sound?

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 81
my last post I was talking to polo not james just to get that out of the way... I think I'm gonna combine your idea james by facing the sub towards the cabin and moved all the way to the back and also remove the rear speakers. I'm also going to dynamat some areas and hopefully this will remove the rattling along with getting loud. Thanks for all yoour input guys.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1180
that's what most people do (remove the rear speakers and just leave the grills there. When you have this done, I found that it was always louder when you have the box faced the way I described earlier, or, lay the box on the back and have the subs facing the rear deck holes. I always found that worked really good too. Generally speaking tho, every car is different. Best thing to do is experiment with different locations and see what works best in your car.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1181
before you spend money on dynamat, just play the subs and listen around. A lot of times, stuff that is rattling can be tightened up or removed. My trunk lid is what vibrates on my car so if you do dynamat, you should probably start there since that's where most vibrations occur. Again, there are cheaper products out there than dynamat. That stuff is a rip off. I foget the kind that chad uses, but I think that's supposed be really great stuff

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 82
any amp recommendations... im looking for a 1000 watt 1ohm stable amp (capable of 300 - 400 at 4ohm) so if i were to hook up both i wouldnt need another amp since 2 4ohm subs = a 1ohm load right.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 83
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us