Thinking about replacing my SX15 with 2 12s....but what?

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 662
im in the process of building a new box for my SX15 and if that is still not loud enough, i will have to go with 2 12's

i want ridiculusly loud subs with as good of SQ as i can get, im looking at SE's, Ov.2s, type r's'(if i wanna save a buck).

how do these compare in SPL and SQ?

what else should i look at?

i have a nine.1 that will run whatever i get, im not getting rid of it

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7268
imo - i wouldnt look 4 2 12s just yet , build a proper slot ported box & if that doesnt possibly suit u then u know what 2 do .

Y not email Marshall cause he's very experienced with that sub .....

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 663
yea, im keepin my options open, i order my wood for the box from lowes today, did you know they will cut if for you for really cheap, like 2 free cuts then 25 cents after that, forget my circular saw and the mess of bad cuts, they can have it, ill tell you wat the total is for the wood and the cuts tomarro, but if its under 30$, its well worth the guaranteed precition

i thought you ment 4 12's for a sec, that gives me some ideas........

another ?: could i run 3 type rs well off my nine.1, or is somthin else better

i think im just too hard to please.......

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3578
terry.....you mean at lowes you can order the cut then come back later to pick it up? you don't have to wait there?

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 664
i called and placed the order becasue i wont be there till tomarro and he said they would be ready went i get there, tomarro at 2

actually i think he said he was going to work on it right after i got off the phone with him, they must have not been busy, but isnt that awesome?
i dont even have to worry about cutting wrong, and im sure that if they messed it up they would fix it.

ill tell you what it is tomarro.....

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 665
i just called them and they have it done already, he said 20 for the MDF sheet and it only took 5 cuts and 2 are free so and extra 75 cents to cut it, he told me almost right at $22 after tax.

that is incredible, im never pickin up a skill saw again, and sears can forget me buying a table saw

yay me

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7270
well i dont know man - part of car audio is DIY , getting a feeling of accomplishment .

Personally i like doing stuff 4 myself

oh btw - as u mentioned Rs i would do 2 not 3 on that amp , Rs can handle some extra wrms ...

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 666
thats what i thought about the r's

well i did alot myself, and i screwed it up alot too, if i had acess to a table saw i would do it myself, but i dont so... i do agree though, it will be a little different that i didnt cut it....

and besides, now i wont have to get a truck to take the pieces home so thats nice

some people on CA.com say that they did that and the cuts wernt great thou, hope it turn out okay for me...

Bronze Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 66
If you want great SQ the SI mags would be a good choice. They may be out of your price range though.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6454
just get one of those box's like Polo has and u should be fine

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 761
He doesn't have enough room. The sx's really shine with around 4.5-5.0 cf. My box is 4.47cf not to mention the space the external ports take up.Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1600
if you do decide to get 2 new subs, you might wanna look at the AA arsenal, there supposed to be louder than the old ava(the ava would hold its own spl wise with the sx) so it should be louder cause of more surface area.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 668
ill look at the AA too, but im building my bix rught now and its going good, the way i have it set up right now its gonna be 4.8 cubes and then some displavement for bracing, should be about 4.6-4.6 when its all said and done, and with all 4 of my ports uncut, that will tune my box at about 36-37hz. hope its loud, ill have to turn up by sub sonic, though, where should i set it for this size????

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 669
ha, 4.6-4.7 net is what i ment

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 141
home depot and lowes dont do "precision" cuts they just cut them most of the time they are not straight but you can take them home and trim them up thats what I did.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 709
they cut my friends before, but they didnt take in account for the thickness of the blade, so most cuts were an eigth of an inch off. but now he works there so he does it right.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 672
my cuts wernt perfect, but they will be fine after a little sanding

new box is comin along, i post pics when im done

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 790
Be carefull when sanding, MDF is deadly and treat the dust blowing around as nuclear fallout! Polo.. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us