Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 875
I am upgrading my stock stereo system in my 02 GMC sierra ext cab. I have a stock ac/delco system in it.

I have always been an Alpine fan and have run into a few opinion feuds here about Alpine Vs Eclipse, and Pioneer.

I am not looking to spend a lot on my truck system because well lets face it. I am broke and gettin older, lol.

I ran these comparisons for my own and I would like to share it with you as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&c=3&s=0&cc=0 1&pt2=0&compareitems=500CDA9856&compareitems=099CD2000&compareitems=130DEHP580&x =21&y=2

From the specs given it seems that Alpine is stating 18 watts RMS out of 50 max. Eclipse 14, and Pioneer 22.

RMS bandwith Alpine 20-20khz, Eclipse 20-20Khz, and Pioneer 50-20Khz.

Preamp voltage Alpine 2 Volts, Eclipse 5 Volts, and Pioneer 2.2 Volts.

Sound Shaping Alpine Bass Engine, Eclipse, none, and Pioneer Easy EQ/EQ-EX.

FM Sensitivity Alpine 9.3 dBf, Eclipse 13 dBf, and Pioneer 8 dBf.

CD frequency response Alpine 5-20 Khz, Eclpise 20-20Khz, and Pioneer 5-20Khz.

CD signal to noise ratio Alpine 105 dB, Eclipse 95 dB, and Pioneer 94 dB.

Pioneer has wireless remote and optional wired remote ( I dont care for either).

IMHO I believe Alpine is better for the money and sound quality. I will not compromise sound quality for higher output ( THD Vs. preamp voltage). If I wanted more output I would just get a bigger amp and drivers that can handle more power.

Sound shaping is a neat feature but I believe in simple things. I listen to my music flat most of the time. If I want more bass I would design my system with a robust bass driver (robust, not loud).

What are your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6400
If u dont mind buying on ebay u could step up to a pioneer premier for around the same price, it should have better sq then the alpine, not sure of the model numbers though, sorry (600's and up???)

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 877
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-DEH-P680MP-Premier-CD-MP3-Player-Remote-BONUS_W0QQit emZ9703978363QQcategoryZ39752QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like they improved the preout voltage to 4 volts, the Tuner sensitivity down to 8 dBf, and the CD frequency response is down to 5-20 Khz. The CD signal to noise ratio is still 94 dB.

The price is higher than the others though, by $24.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 878
Correction CD response has not changed. Just preout voltage and tuner sensitivity.

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 26
I just ran comparisons on that same Alpine and Pioneer for about three weeks and eventually ended up with the Pioneer based on previous positive experience with Pioneer and my preference for the Pioneer's appearance. Honestly, at that price range it's apples and oranges in my opinion. I've had the Pioneer in my '04 Grand Am for about two weeks and I love it.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2811
The specs you're using to differentiate between these models really aren't that important (possibly preout voltage, but you said that wasn't a major concern). In this scenario, it would be better to judge what you want based on prior experience, build quality (including components-but don't go by the specs), and features you want in your new head unit.

Bronze Member
Username: Risky

Post Number: 25
Im in the same boat as you, I think I am just going to bend over and pay a little bit more for an Eclipse Cd3000 though. I was also looking at that exact alpine but, I don't know. Seems to me that Alpine hasn't really been living up to it's name lately.

Bronze Member
Username: Blkwardog

Post Number: 35
would u guys say that if i was buying a new hu that those would b the three brands to go w/? or wut do ppl think of brands like panasonic, clarion, and kenwood?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 879
"The specs you're using to differentiate between these models really aren't that important "

What are specs to consider when comparing HU's?

THD has not been listed, so thats about all I cant think of that would matter.

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 30
blkwardog, Alpine, Pioneer and Eclipse are certainly the brands I would consider. Kenwood and Clarion make some very decent units at the high end level but in the $150-$230 range, these brands will have the best balance of features and build quality.

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 31
mixneffect, I think you're on the right track. I think what Jexx was saying was that you can compare specks all day, but the decks you're comparing are pretty similar so you're better off choosing on less tangible qualities (as was mentioned, things like appearance and past experiance, etc). In general though, pre-amp number and voltage, RMS output, what formats it will play, and extra features like AUX input or remote (if you care) would be the key things I'd consider when choosing an HU. Then you just have to decide what's more inportant to you, for instance the Eclipse has 5 volt preouts but only 14 Watts RMS output. That would probably make me count out the Eclipse, but you might be more interested in the pre-out voltage than output wattage.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 880
Yup, I didn't want to invest too much in the truck system. I usually invest a lot more on house systems. For about $650 I have a decent budget system.

I m runnin:

* Alpine 9856 HU

* Infinity Kappa Perefct 6.1's (runnin off of HU for now, I m on a budget). No rear fill.

* RF P2002 with RF wiring kit (extra 1 year warranty with RF kit) for the subs.

* Two 8" Audax as subs. Thats all that would fit under the rear folding bench.

I might adjust the X-over on the Kappas to get a softer flatter FO. For a low power system it gets plenty loud without gettin noticed. At 200 watts the 8" Audax subs deliver enough bass for an ole-timer.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3438
Pioneer Premier all day over Alpine or Eclipse. Especially if your comparing the DEH-P860MP or the new pioneer deh-7800 thats coming out.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 881
I m old fashioned, I dislike the pionner round knob. It looks like a CB. LOL. Plus I always favored Alpine Vs Pioneer.

This reminds me of all of my buddies buyin Fords, and/Dodges. I am a GM fan.

The guys that bought Fords or Dodges, now traded them in for Titans. I m still drivin mine... Lol.

I shouldnt mention the ones that were sold on deisels, lol. OUCH.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2834
Yeah, exactly what Derek said, the units are so similar, the specs don't make a very big difference. Personally, that Pioneer looks pretty spicy...

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 36
I should have mentioned earlier that I have pictures of the Pioneer 5800 installed if anyone is interested:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us