MADDNESS - charging system!

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1556
aiight, been too bored yesterday, I stipped the entire car.. and Im doing my entire electrical over.. this is what happened so far...

I have 2 runs of 0ga wire going to the back dist blk!! each fused with 200a anl fuses, under the hood.

I have big3 0ga wire and 4ga wire..

I now have 2 0ga wires coming from my alternator to battery!!! << This made a HUGE diffrence, let me repeat HUGE!!!! damnit HUGE diffrence!

now with the car runing, lights on, and ac blower high.... instead of voltage droping, it raises higher!!! <<so so sweet...

I measured 14.6v with car runing, 12.8 off. And that test was done with 1 battery under the hood right now! I will be adding a yellow in the back.
Also to the back will be a total of, 5800RMS not total watts in the trunk!!

If u have a HO alternator, I now suggest that people run 2 runs of 0ga from HOALT-to-BATT!

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1560
ohh pics to come soon... maybe pickup some batts today for digital camera.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2960
B why not just use a 2/0 gauge cable instead?

when i get my 260a alt i am plannning on getting two more yellow tops in the trunk. so i will have 3 total. one under the hood and 2 in the trunk. you think the 260a alt will have any problems charging all three batteries?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1562
"B why not just use a 2/0 gauge cable instead? "

way more money... Plus I get wire for real cheap, and I got a 1/0 wireing kit for 20$...

260a will charge those easily.... I would do what I recomended still, 2 strains of 0ga to ALT-to-BATT positive... (trust me)

also Chad, 1 wire going to the back 2 batteries got to take enough current back there to charge both batts, and power the system << This is when it all comes down to the install.... I suggest u run multiple strains to the back if u do more than 2500rms..

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1566
fresh pictures, just got back up stairs...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1567
Upload
POSTIVE blocks... connects both 0gauges...

still got to buy a neg dist block now..

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1248
poor little battery post, lol.

i think the extra strand of wire helped you because your not using a nice battery terminal which has more surface area for current to flow from post to wire. its trying to squeeze itself through thoes ring terminals. could be wrong, just a thought.

i've just got 1 strand of 1/0 and the stock wire, i sit at 14.4-14.8 at idle and 15.5-15.8 at higher rpms. and with 2 JL 500/1's and a JL 300/1 at full volume, and everything in the car on, voltage drops about .2 volts.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1569
lol
the terminal rings are big and long, im sorry they look so small, cause there is like 4 strands of 0ga on 1 of them....
this is just my starting batt of 1000CCA.. but my system is not going to be using that, it will have about 2 Yellows in the back... or aNSB 125! Im just getting the current to the back... ... and in return I will protect my investments...

also this is very very neccasry for 5800RMS! not 1000...
in addition my car factory electronics suck alot of power by themselves.. every single feature is digital! comes with standard 105 or higher. which the car electronics treated like a 60a alternator!

Bronze Member
Username: Panocha

Post Number: 56
lol B you have a buick i have a 1988 Buick Park avenue it has the same enie as your v6- 3.8 in my opinion these engines are the easiest to work with and they last along a ss time lol my engine has taken a beating i've been using it with out motor mounts on any side for a year and a half now.

Enough of my rambling lol did the volts really go up just by changing the big 3? I think im gonna be doing that soon.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11353
1/0AWG is able to handle up to 350A of current.
Really no reason for two parallel runs of 1/0AWG with a stock alternator. a 200A alternator should be fine with a single 1/0AWG line in fact, since the distance would only be about 10 feet total.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1570
i love these engines, thats why they on the list of top 10 engines...
^^ dont even get me started about gas mileage... I treat my car like a Accord.....

the volts were allways up for me since I got my HO alternator.... but I noticed instead of them droping like .5volts under extremlty heavy load; they went up .5-1volts...

some morning my voltage is right under the redline, so about 16v strong... the lowest it will sit somedays is like dead on 13.4-14 volts...

People when I said it went up, I meant it went up @ IDLE!!!! UNDER 800rpm......
Now thats current flow for that a$s.....

all test were done at idle... hehehe
maybe thats why Brandon misunderstood...

umm Glasswolf, I know how much it passes by the books, but Im kinda of reality/implementation guy.... They dont pass that much current when they are tested.. trust me...

and 2 strains isnt much at all, try people who run like 20strains to the back of a ASTRO van...
Glasswolf if had a TL meter right now, Ill prove u, u can gain with extra strains of wire. Now at a certain amount, it just dont matter...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6290
"""aiight, been too bored yesterday""" - what a reason ! - lol

well ur doing all the work urself so thats cool - $ saved means more/better equipment to buy .

Once u can see benefits of what ur doing - well thats just gr8 !....

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1574
extremely bored yesterday... thats my excuse Rovin

maybe run the new rcas on the other side of the car today.. dash and everything still off..
check it out..

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/190665.html

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 363
Hey B that is almost my engine, I have the series II supercharged, I was having such a problem unitil recently trying to find a bracket for my alt. I have a weird setup that has a support bar on top that holds it and some weird support underneith. Iraggi says they have done several like mine and sent me the appropriate bracket for it. I ordered the 300A amputator series which is in a large casing think it looks like your. Can you take some close ups so I can get a good idea and is that a 6 rib serpentine belt? thanks...Polo.. ;)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 364
Upload
Upload
Upload

It seems where you alt is I have a SC, lol. I am hoping Iraggi guys know what they are talkng about, they see too. See the stains on my engine, that is from a battery exploding, note the rust also, car has only 51K on it (Pontiac GTP). Polo..

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 365
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2357
B,

i'll have to agree w/ you that running more wire is better for SPL installs.

---in competition...there is no such thing as overkill---
:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 17
Ok so I have a question...how do I get the extra positive wire to go on the alternator? I've never changed one before, but from the looks of it there is no way to attatch anything extra...help a newb out lol.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1582
Polo, yeah, they are the same engines... I love the SC versions to these babies... they really move...
series 1 came SC also, but the diffrence with series 2 is the accesories placement....

yea the belts are the exact same, except u have 1 extra belt to spin the SC....

where you alt is / my power steering pump is... the black bracket for your alternator, connects to my steering pump..

but yea, looks my alternator suposed to be where your SC is... heheh

Ill have to find my closeup pics, or take some more today... I needed to prove to Nathan I had enough space in there (large case)... I still had a little space to spare after that...

but series 1 has tons of space I must say...

"i'll have to agree w/ you that running more wire is better for SPL installs.

---in competition...there is no such thing as overkill--- "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly; no such this as overkill!!

Man I had my 2500d in the car yesterday..... LORD!!!
^^^^
shows exactly how killer this charging system is.... that battery meter on dash didnt even move!! with only 1 battery currently in the car!! JEEEZ!

system up, lights, blower highest..... .... OH thats at IDLE too....
under 800rpm!

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1583
Ohh more cleaning up went on yesterday...
This is how everything sits now....

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 306
If your not going to be in competition is more than 1 battery needed?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1585
more than 1 batt is needed if you are going to be listening with the car off for extended periods..

2 batteries is recomended if you have alot of rms power.. If you are runing less than 2500rms or so, you will be fine with 1 battery.

but saying that, adding a extra battery can only help, cause it can make a diffrence!

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
does brand matter when looking for power wire?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1597
no, the strand count matters... just look at gauge sizes...

I wont do anything less than 4ga in car audio peroid. I dont care if its 250rms amp!

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
B what gauge do you have running to your amps?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1605
2 runs of 0 gauge!

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 624
Sure is nice having power, lol. Polo..Upload

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2101
:-) power is real nice now lets trade engines, it will fit snuggly :-) I also see I have to clean up some more.. :-)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 632
Hey B I noticed if you went to the bone yard and dug up the pully system for my engine it would bolt up to yours and you could add another alt! Might be an idea, lol..Polo. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us