Why do i need an alt specifically for my car

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3354
couldn't i put a ho built for another car in my car? i mean as long as it fits in the space.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2093
yea, as long as it fits in the space, properly alighned. pulley threads on alt must match your other pulleys. also your alternator wire harness must be wired to fit that alternator.
basically fabrication :-)

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 129
well yes, but the voltage regulator has to fit onto it. so that to much voltage doesnt go into the computer. at least i know with my car, and most other GM's you have to use the factory voltage regulator because the computers are regulated.

now if you wanna add an extra one, and set up some batteries in the trunk that run only on that. that would work. No lights would ever dim. i was thinking about taking my a/c motor out and adding an extra alternator but then realized i shouldnt lol.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2094
the voltage regulator will most likely already be internal. must ho alternators will put out about 15v~, car computers can take up to 16v without being damaged..

however addin 2 alternators, u can run 1 ho alt seperately to a battery bank 12v or 16v bank!, with a added external voltage regulator. Then set that to 15v or 18v, depending on the bateries. with some 16v battery banks 18v will charge them.. then you have a 16v system.. you can still have a 14v system depending on batteries.. 12v :-)

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 130
hmm learn something new everyday lol. but i was going on what i read somewhere before.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3355
thanks for your input ruthless and B. i got to contact dom at iraggi and i sent him the payment for a 260amp for my car. i don't know how long it takes to build an alternator but i hope i get it within two weeks. i can't wait.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2104
:-) cant wait 4 u to get it, then let loose on them jl amps... :-) that will make your TREOs hit even harder!! alot better SQ too!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Montecarlos11

Louisville, KY USA

Post Number: 27
two alternators can be hard to run. Most cars can't turn the belts fast enough to properly charge the alternators. Not to mention you might need a new serpintine belt that will fit everything. But hey, its not impossible, just be sure to do some research first if you plan on putting two alternators.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us