Seald box louder than ported

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 123
so i have a slot port tuned @ 26hz in a hatchback firebird an then the ported box was ok then i was playin around an threw in the dual seald box each chamber 1.25cuft per sub an had my 1 jl w3 in it with 1 amp it was louder than my ported box but the only thing i dotn like about the seald is that it suxs on the low low bass u cant realli feel it but its loud lol cant wait till its on the road an put both jl w3s in it an both amps have around 1000 true watts o ya lol

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 608
no a sealed box is not louder than a ported. a ported box raises 3 db's to your system. depending on what subs, each sub sound better in the recommended enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 479
well you're ported box will be more efficient to 26hz which is pretty much your entire range you'll hear. A sealed box will excel below that point though. As far as the box, i'd check to see if any air is leaking and possibly causing the loss in audible sound levels.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 124
no i put my ported 2.5cuft box in an was cin how it sounded it was ok then i threw in my seald box 1.25cuft an with the same amp an the seald box sounds way better an louder but its in a hatchback an the ported doesnt sound liek 1 in a trunk i think the ported sounds way better in the trunk than a hatch jl w3 specs 1cuft- 1.50cuft an my box is 1.25cuft its just kinda suxs on the lows i might make a new box 2.5cuft tuned @ 30.8hz jl specs an with a 3 in port an the port area is goin 2 b alot an once i have both jls in the seald box with 2 amps it will b like a ported box il gain 3db per addin the other sub

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2001
nah man, its what alteraudio is telling u.....

if the sealed is louder, in your case only, its because the sealed box, resonates at your cars resonate frequency...

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 125
is that go0d an theres no leaks in the ported box only the selad since i needed a hole for the wire but b4 i had a ported box at liek 36 or 38hz an it was loud last year an now i heard louder iam use 2 it an the seald box sounds great box will the bass on the outsid eof the car sound go0d an a deep tone but iam goin 2 b makin a other ported box an does more port area sound better will a 3inch wide port b better than a 2inch port thankx

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 306
If sealed is louder it's because the ported isn't the right specs or isn't made right... Only explanations possible :-)

Also if you are going to be making a new box, before you do, get a set of test tones to play using the sealed box, and find out which tone is the loudest in your car, and build your ported box tuned to that frequency (the resonant freq. of your firebird)

Unless your resonant freq happens to be like 45 hz or something, then I would say F it and tune low! My box is 35 Hz and I kind of wish I had made it 32 instead (Yeah I know you told me so marshall, but I had already started on the 35 hz plans, lol)

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 307
The width and length of a port determine what frequency it is tuned to. Go here and experiment with the numbers:
http://www.accelerator-pedal.com/ported-box.asp?Ew=36&Eh=15&Dia=4&Xmax=11.9&Vd=. 06&NumW=3&Vb=3&Fb=35&Qts=.432&Vas=2.3&Fs=23.1&CE=0

In general, the longer and narrower the port, the lower it'll be. Shorter and fatter = higher.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 129
lewass iam a box builter i no what iam doin an i no all about the tuning thing thing but the cars frec. is 60hz an iam makin 2 new slot ported boxes 1 40hz an other 26hz with 3inch wide ports this tim elast time i had 2inch slots
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us