Playing Subs In Free Air

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 18
Today I recieved my my 1st JL 10w6v2 from a guy on ebay. I hooked it up to my previous amp just to see if the subs was in working condition. Well when placing the sub in the box where my old one was, I discovered that the JL is about 2" taller than old subs and didnt fit the box properly. WIll it hurt the JL for it to sit 2 inches out of the box until I get my new box made? It said on the JL website that its not cool to play the sub in free air. Did they mean not cool as in not hip or not cool as in it could damage the sub. please help

sure_13
Unregistered guest
If I were you, I wouldnt mess around with a sub like that until i had the right box to go with it. You should probably just leave it alone until you can hook it up properly.

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 25
Basically playing it in free air means that you shouldnt hols the sub when its hooked up and try to play it. There is so much 'tourqe' that it will leap around like a frog and damage it. About mounting it like how you sais, well i would wait till you get your new box.

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 19
thx guys

boister77
Unregistered guest
you shouldn't play a sub free-air unless it is designed for that situation. playing a sub free-air provides no suspension for the sub. the sub can easily reach it's xmax with little power therefore causing damage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us