Could my alternator be why car is stalling out?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 474
I have a 900 watt digital audio amp...
and a 2000 ford mustang convertible...
lately, my car stalls out big time when i come to stop light, etc. it does ok in park... not in drive. could it be that i beat up my alternator too much. are these the signs of a alternator going bad due to car audio?
thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1191
Yea it could be. I've seen it happen a few times cause kids try to hook up a pair of "3000 watt" amps in their cars and wind up frying their alternator and then some along with their car not even being able to start. Either keep the music down or buy a larger alternator

Bronze Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 78
hes not running 3000 watts or a pair of em hes runnin 900... i dont think that this is the alt because if your alt isnt putting out enough amps to charge your battery at that many revs the battery would keep your car runnin at a light until you get the revs back up when you start going you should have it checked out because if your car stalls due to loss of power your couldnt crank it back up because your car just stalled because your battery just went dead.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
your problem could be that your idle is set to low and when the motor engages when you put it in drive the revs lower you might not have enough to keep the car alive(your revs is higher in park than in an idle drive)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5388
Check the battery and voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 182
It depends on the alt. you can start a car and unhook the battery and it'll still run off the alt.. More than likely the alt.. kinda weird with only 900w though...

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 359
yeah but dont do that for long i heard one of my dads freind say that was a bad idea since you hava computer on it(will work for old cars though with obd) not saying you cant do it but just dont keep doing or do it for over 2mins

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 739
yeah, if your battery is low volvage when the car is turned off then you either killed your alternator or battery or both.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 740
and i think that the idle on a 2000 model mustang is probably computer controlled

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
u can still change the idle of the car though without using a computer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
you guys gotta listen now like i said it earlier........

if the alt is bad = not charging battery and putting out no amps or not enough.. this will cause the car to run off the battery and then the battery will go dead and then the car has no electrcity to run on = stall

BUT if when it stalls because the battery is dead... u cant crank it back up seeing u have no charge in the battery...

unless you CANT crank it back up after the stall and you need a jump then it prolly is your alt

but u didnt say anything about having to jump it after the stall right?

am i making since or just looking like an idiot?

i figured i knew a little about this seeing i ran my old car that i toy around with like this for about a month when the alt went out...

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 741
Your alternator requires voltage to it before it can charge. The field around the commutator has to be energized before the alternator will put out a voltage. If your battery is weak you will get a weak field and also a weak charge. Turn your vehicle off and check the voltage of the battery. It should be atleast 12volts. If not then you have a weak battery. Maybe it needs to be charged. If it will not hold a charge then replace the battery. If your battery voltage is 12 or more then check the alternator. Start your car and then check the voltage on the battery. It should have went up to like 13.8 at least. If the voltage doesn't go up then you have a bad alternator. The battery is probably the problem unless you need a h/o alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us