Using a slightly larger or smaller sealed enclosure? Problems?

Bronze Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 73
I want to temporarily use a friends box until mine is built - I think his total volume is somewhat bigger than its supposed to be. Will this harm my subs at all until I get the right volume?

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 366
i think a little bigger would be better, i am running my mb quart pwe 354 in the rec 1.5 cu (before the subs inside) and it doesnt impress me but my freind has about 3cu ft and his hits way harder than mine (same exact system) but that 2x not a little like u asked but i think it should be fine...unless u put an 8" in a 24cuft enclosure lol

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 132
the bigger the sealed box the closer to free air the sub gets. that means the sub will get more excursion, therefore moving more air making it louder. just be careful not to go too big with too many watts otherwise you will overdrive the sub and you could damage it.

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1951
i ordered a 12'' diamond d6 today and its rec. sealed enclosure is 0.875....i was gonna order a 0.88 box but what about a 1.2 cu ft box would it be okay ? btw ill be running 600 watts to it

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 486
Sure, it may be even better. A lot of manufacture put gross volume as a recommendation (without sub) so if you were to match there rec to the tee it may be a little off. Use the 1.2 becasue the sub will take up some space or get the .88 and invert the sub (mount outside) and you won't have to worry about the sub displacement. Either way I think the 1.2 will give it a slightly deeper sound, Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 134
.32 sq ft isn't that dramatic of an increase to cause damage. i agree with polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us