How do I wire 2 head units to my car?

Bronze Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 80
Is it possible to wire 2 HU to my car at once? I am going to have the factory HU untouched but then add another HU that will be hooked up to 2 amps and then the amp with have the other speakers. So will this work as long as one is turned off while the other is playing so they both dont play at once? I guess I would just tap into the wiring harness and put the other HU in the console. They will be powering different speakers so will this work?

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 81
The reason for this is because I can not find a way to play AM stations on an aftermarket radio and i need the MP3. If you know of a good booster for AM let me know so I can avoid doing this?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2685
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/198808.html

Anonymous

try this question in the subwooer secion i know theres MORE knowledgable people than here......... im SURE they know more than ^ ^ ^.........

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2686
There's people more knowledgeable than Glasswolf in the subwoofer section? I don't think so.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 82
Okay, whats a good head unit then? I have the mp5028 and it sucks, the panasonic graphic one didn't get the stations, so what do I do? The only radio that has gotten clear reception on AM and FM was the stock one. If you guys know of a way to get AM stations on an aftermarket HU then let me know. Sorry for the same questions I just want a logical answer soon.
Thanks

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 83
Just curious, can you run two HU if they are powering separate speakers without buying the converter or whatever is needed?
Thanks

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2689
Buy an aftermarket receiver, have it installed free and see if the AM reception is satisfactory. If not, return it and have them reinstall the stock head unit. Aftermarket units really don't have that bad of AM reception..have you tried Pioneer, Clarion, or even Eclipse?

There is also the option of HD radio if you aren't satisfied with the quality of what you're receiving now.

quote:

Just curious, can you run two HU if they are powering separate speakers without buying the converter or whatever is needed?

Yes, but that's going to cost more in the long run and look really trashy...

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 84
Thanks a lot

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 85
Do you what is HD radio ready mean if some others say free HD radio with no monthly fees? The new kenwood MP232 claims that it has it and its only $80. I would get a better model but is that the same as the $250 panasonic AM/FM quality wise?
Thanks for the help!

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 86
I just looked mine up MP5028 kenwood on Ebay and it says HD ready also.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 87
Hey another question haha, What head unit would you recommend to replace my MP5028 to hopefully pick-up AM stations. I'm guessing you would recommend clarion,eclipse, or Pioneer but what's the best model out of these to go with for around $220-$260?
Thanks
Brad

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2690
HD ready means you have to buy an HD receiver to go with it. Think of it like cable...you have to have the box to decode the signal and send it to the TV (the headunit). Some head units have it completely built in, but they're more expensive than just buying the two units seperately. But there's no subscription, you just need the equipment to decode the signal is all.

My suggestions for a new head unit? Pioneer DEH-P760MP, Pioneer DEH-P80MP...

If you could save some extra money or find a good deal on ebay, the Clarion DXZ955MC and Pioneer DEH-P860MP would be excellent, excellent units.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11204
dja vu
I swear I answered this same thread already. many times, and by the same person asking.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2692
Yeah, haha, I linked it in the third post down in this thread...

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 88
Thanks

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 89
Hey JEXX, Glasswolf, is drawing the best way to hook it all up? It took me over an hour to draw but I rather it be right. What would you put the amp for the Subs and the amp for the speakers on for the RCA's? I mean what should be fade and what should be balance if thats right? The remote wire in the pic is hooked up to both too. Also is there a difference when wiring the tweeters to the kappa wires other than running the wires both to the amp? Hopefully you understand what I am trying to describe. Thanks a lot for the help.
Thanks

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 90
application/mswordUpload
system pic drawing.doc (47.1 k)

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 93
Question about deck. What's the benefit of having a pioneer DEH-P860MP over my kenwood mp5028? Would the reception be better and what else is better? Also is a 2006 pioneer say 600-700 model better then the 05 700-800 pioneer models? I guess are the 06 worth the extra money over the 05's. I guess would the sound quality from the amps be better, louder, would music and radio play better. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do what's the best, and you guys seem to be the smartest in car audio.
Thanks

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 95
Hey I can get the DEH-P760MP pioneer for $150 shipped and its like new, should I do this or spend $230 for the other head unit?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2693

quote:

What's the benefit of having a pioneer DEH-P860MP over my kenwood mp5028?

Everything...quality, three sets of preouts, nice burr-brown converters...

quote:

Also is a 2006 pioneer say 600-700 model better then the 05 700-800 pioneer models

I would actually rather have an 05 700-800 model.

The setup you drew looks great, no problems that I can see.

It's up to you with the DEH-P760MP, but that is a good deal. What other head unit were you looking at for $230?

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 96
thanks. yeah, I think the better pioneer hu is about $280 not $230, so I will buy that other one for 150.
Thanks
Brad
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us