Dvc subs can somewone explain?

Username: One_loud_vett

Belmont, NH Usa

Post Number: 6
Im thinking of buying a rockford stage 3 10".It has dual 4 ohm voice coils ,what does this mean to me?If I want to run it at 4 ohms will I only take advantage of half the watts if I hook up one voice coil,and if I hook them both up from the best I can tell Id be at 2 or 8 ohms.If I run it at 8 ohms Ill only be drawing half the amp power,what if I run it at 2 ohms?If the amp is 2 ohm stable is this the way to go?Any help is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5882
DVC subs r more versatile when it come 2 wiring options - too much 2 type explaning it but u can find ur answers here

www.bcae1.com
www.the12volt.com

& ways 2 wire subs here
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Username: John_paul

Post Number: 3
Dual Voice Coils are just as the name implies, meaning the speaker has two voice coils. The reason two is better than one is due to the fact that with DVC, there are more wiring options than a single voice coil speaker.

Take for instance the sub you're looking at. You could wire that in parallel at 2ohms, or in series at 8ohms. With the single voice coil, you can only run at the speakers ohm rating.

In regards to just hooking up a single VC, that would not be wise, and could be of detrement to your sub from what I understand, but you would need to speak to the more knowledgable members on this forum for a concrete answer.

Regarding what to run your particular sub at, you would definitely want to run it at 2 ohms as long as your amp is stable down to two ohms, and that your sub can handle the wattage the amp puts out at 2 ohms.

Why run the sub at 8ohms when it is capable of 2, thereby only getting one quarter of what your amp is capable of running? Like I said, you want to run the sub at the highest possible wattage it is capable of handling, providing of course you want the performance you've paid for. ;)

Belmont, NH Usa

Post Number: 7
Awesom thank you for the info!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11223
if the sub has two 4-ohm coils, it ill end up either a 2 or 8 ohm sub, depending on how you wire the coils.
it's not recommended that you use only one coil.

Bronze Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 58
i was just curious.. i havent used a DVC before but i read somewhere you could wire up a 4 Ohm DVC to run at 4 Ohms by using stereo... one chanel into each voice coil.. i have a 2 channel amp that can run 2 chanell's in Mono... would that be an option... sounds like a stupid idea to me though

Belmont, NH Usa

Post Number: 8
Sounds reasonable to me hopefully someone can conferm

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11238
sure with a two channel amp you can run one channel to each coil. that works, too.
same result as bridging the amp, and wiring coils in series.
same power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us