The different ways Bass hits

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 64
Sup foo's, last night I drove down to a local car audio dealer and heard a car they were working on. It had 2 15" Memphis M-class subs (the ones with the multi colored M logo on the dustcap) which take 400 RMS each. They were in a Fox-body mustang 5.0 hatchback. They only had 1100 watts to them with the gains lowered. This sounded like 5 times louder to my ears than my buddys 15" L7 with SX1250.1. The Memphis 15's were so loud in my ears I felt like they were going to pop from the pressure.

I have noticed that some systems go insanely LOUD but don't really have that impact in your guts feeling, and other systems feel so intense in your chest that you can barely breath, but don't go so loud that your ears feel like they want to burst.

So my question is:
In a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, what equipment sizes/wattages should I go for to achieve the most powerful impact in my body, without hurting my ears. I want ultimate SQ from the bass, so i'll pay whatever I gotta to make sure I am feeling the bass in my guts, and also sounding brilliant to my ears.
Sorry for the novel.

Bronze Member
Username: Clacla100

Tallahassee, Fl US

Post Number: 76
what are you willing to spend

Bronze Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN United States

Post Number: 52
http://www.crystalmobilesound.com/subwoofers.htm
there suppose to have crazy SQ and get LOUD!

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 112
Have you looked into Treo subwoofers? Digital Designs?

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 66
I want this equipment to outlast my car, and take it to the next car.

I want to run a 4 ohm load. So that almost gaurantee's i'll be using a JL "/" series amp. I don't know if I am comfortable buying a brand that I have never heard, but I want to explore all options.

I want to spend up to $800-$900 for the subwoofers, and maybe another $700 or so for the amp? I figure I will get the subs and head unit first, and add components and another amp down the road. The car will have the Infinity gold system, which sounds pretty good/loud in the front seats at least, so I'll be ok for a while until I add the rest of the system.

Do you guys know what I mean about Bass vibrating your body versus Bass that hurts the ears? I think I might want to use many smaller drivers to accomplish this, but then I won't be able to hit the lows that some music might require.

What is the best way to accomplish that feeling you get in ur chest like from a really nice Home audio woofer?? Should I get 2 12's? 3 10's? 2 13w6v2's? 3 13w1v2's? I'm totally flexible, but remember my goal is chest pounding, not ear popping.

Bronze Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN United States

Post Number: 60
your gonna pay up the a55 for JL products IMO when you could get stuff thats just as good for cheaper. if i were you id look into:
Image Dynamics
Treo
Crystal

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 734
the w6 wont give you that feeling either its a sq sub not sql or spl so it wil just sound good i would look into digital designs or something like that

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2185
Lewass,

one of the reasons the Memphis subs sounded better it because they were in a hatchback. different vehicles react differently to subs. M3's sound pretty good IMO.

The box plays a huge part in how your subs will sound too. A good rule of thumb is the sound you will get depends 70% on install, 30% on equipment. You can make budget subs sound really good in the right install.

Bass that vibrates the body is usually low bass (30-45hz). Bass that hurts the ears is usually 45hz+. For the best of both worlds, i suggest a ported box tuned to ~35hz. (2 good 12's would be nice)

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 67
GW/Jonathan/Isaac Do you guys know what I mean about the bass feeling? I want to feel it and I think like 2 13w6v2's in a sealed box, or maybe 3 12w3v2's? powered by 1000/1. What subs from other brands sound good as he1l?

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 70
Upload
BUMP! "Lord, if your listenin', HELP!!!"

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3120
Lewass / go with 1 13W7 sealed or a 12w7 in a HO BOX if you like JL.

Also look into the Arsenal 12's by www.ascendantaudio.com for your application. THeyy whould work well.

Check out www.ddaudio.com / they have some of the loudest and cleanest and well built subs around but well require ported enclosures to get the best out of them.

Stay away from the w6 line of JL because they are mostly SQ oriented.

12W7 and 13W7 well give you what your after in the right box.

Also look into 2 ID MAX 12's ported at 5 cuft tuned to 28hz / That whould sound real nice.
www.imagedynamicsusa.com and read this so you really know how great this subwoofer is http://www.roadgearmag.com/article.asp?section_id=13&article_id=302&page_number= 1

Bronze Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 25
Get the www.reaudio.com RE AUDIO, the new xxx should be very good for you!!!

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1214
" and other systems feel so intense in your chest that you can barely breath,"

^^^^ you need to take a 5 minute ride with me my friend... <<thats all...

My car does real stupid things, so does the inside of my chest when the bass hits loww. How about riding down the road with my head out the window, just to catch a few good fresh breaths of cold air... ?
My car acts so stupid, Im going to put it on realm of excursion.. I have a ported box tuned to 27hz, with 2 TREO 15s. It will make your ears FLAP!

Get a Treo or a DD if you want to feel pain!! =D

Ps: everyone, I mean everyone! tell me they heard me coming b4 they see the vehicle! Talk about a traveling sound wave!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5116
so where do you put your banner advertising what you have for thief's? I have not found a good place to put it yet so I was looking for ideas!

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 73
B, I've seen all pics of your setup; does yours give that pressure in the ears feeling like the pressure is trying to burrow its way deep down your ear canal and into the brain? Because thats the feeling I don't want. I want as much gut rumbling as possible without that pressure burrowing down your ear canal feeling.

MO, I keep hearing about ID Max's and they are probly my number 2 choice right now. My top choice is w6v2 because of SQ, I am going for best SQ possible, and I'll just add more drivers or bigger drivers until I bring the SQ to an extremely loud level.

But I still don't think my question is answered about what sizes and types of subwoofer drivers will give me the feeling in the guts without that nasty painful pressure in the ears. I have really sensitive hearing thats why I am going for SQ.

Oh and thanks MO for the link thats more in depth on the ID Max, I'll be reading that right now...

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 74
LOL James thats funny. What do you think about what I am looking for.. Because I am sick of spending money and being left unsatisfied. I want to get it right and invest in good equipment that will last a long time.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1222
"so where do you put your banner advertising what you have for thief's? I have not found a good place to put it yet so I was looking for ideas!"
^^^^^^^
James Longo I have never had any logos on my vehicle; and NO one where I live know I even have a system, factory!

"
B, I've seen all pics of your setup; does yours give that pressure in the ears feeling like the pressure is trying to burrow its way deep down your ear canal and into the brain? Because thats the feeling I don't want. I want as much gut rumbling as possible without that pressure burrowing down your ear canal feeling"
^^^
Lewass my system is DEEP, its the best way I can describe it. The pressure that you describe is the pressure that helps you on the MIC. << that would be a HIGH tuned box, mines is tuned LOW!!!!
Mine is deep, shakes like a earthquake!! It wont be too loud on the mic Im thinking; compared to if my box was tuned around 45.
But sit in the car 3 cars ahead of me, and get rattled!!

My gold is to hit the low frequencies with HIGH numbers on the MIC. << see what Im saying?
It will play in perfect with my daily street pounder. =D

" My top choice is w6v2 because of SQ, I am going for best SQ possible, and I'll just add more drivers or bigger drivers until I bring the SQ to an extremely loud level."
^^^^
Lewass then 2 15 TREO SSI is what you need. It will also POUND THE PAVEMENT till it cracks open! without BLOWING your senitive ears, (thats how sweet and clear the bass is); thats if you dont turn em up too too loud. Or double/tripple their RMS! << Then you get both.. =D

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3121
I whould go with 2 ID MAX 12's in a ported box at 5 cuft tuned to 25-28hz off 1000 watts rms and you will be loud low and clean and will be surprised how efficiant these are at this more. You wont be dissappointed. Personally im going with 1 ID MAX 12 sealed at 1.5 cuft off 600 rms.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 215
If you don't want the pressure headache my single REsx 15" gives in a custom ported enclosure then I would go with two ID max's in a sealed enclosure not ported approx 1.9 cubes each in a separated enclosure. I owned these subs and the SQ is awesome and the SPL level hits ya in the chest/gut but spares the drums, lol. Either way you go a sealed enclosure is the direction you want to lean towards for SQ and the ability to play more types of music especially roch, rap, pop, trance, dance, etc.. JMHO...Polo. :-)

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 76
Yea I just read all about those ID Max 12's and I think they are great. I could do 2 IDMax 12's in a sealed box and power them with a JL 1000/1 amp, and if I ever feel like I need more bass, I can put another JL 1000/1 on later on.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1253
^^ that will sound good in a deep sealed box!! 2x 1000/1 =D

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 142
Hey B, what is the highest freq. your subs will play since your box is tuned low?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1266
I played pretty higher, the car went crazy at about 40 -45 hz, it played pretty much the entire test tone cd. Except above 500hz, I didnt play. =D

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 143
what about the lowest freq?

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 80
Can I get a GW opinion up in here? Bump!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us