Help solving a sub problem

Bronze Member
Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 25
I have installed a JL audio 10w6v2 sub on a kicker kx600.1 amp. I built a vented box with MDF using JLs recommended design and spec. I have the box firing 6 inches from the rear of the trunk. My problem is that the sub plays low but it does not have much punch to it. I dont listen to much rap so I prefer a tight punch than a low rumble. I have my crossover set to 90hz. Should I install an eq, try a new box or wait to see if the seperates I am installing will fill the gap?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5082
what is your enclosure tuned to? That sub has great dynamic control up into 100hz and above. Do you have a subsonic filter turned on? what is it set to? If you used Jl's design it is prob tuned to about 32hz right? I didnt see that before. I would try a sealed box if you want tighter bass response. Do you have any idea where in the range of the music you are losing the punch? Your Components might fill that void for you if it is above 90hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 26
The box is tuned to 28.5hz. I have a subsonic filter set a 25hz. I listen to generally rock. I am assuming the bass drum hits in the range of 80 to 100hz. I will try the sealed enclosure. Do you think an eq will help to boost the other freq?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5083
try to set your x-over to 100hz see if it opens up that range a little more. A eq will help boost certain freq yes, but I would try a sealed enclosure first.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us