What Amp(s) Do I Need?

Username: Sean_dub

Post Number: 1
I am most likely going to purchase 2 Pioneer Premier TS-W5000SPL subwoofers, and I need to know what kind of amp I should use to power them with. They handle 2000 rms, 5000 peak, and are Dual 4 ohm subs. What I want to know is should I get an amp (or multiple amps) that run 4000 rms x 1 channel @ 1 ohm, 2000 rms x 2 channels @ 2 ohm, or 2000 rms x 2 channels @ 4 ohm? My past systems only had one sub and one amp, like the Audiobahn Immortal (decent sound, poor durability) and a MA Audio HK401SX. I have a pretty good budget, and am looking at Memphis and Rockford Fosgate mainly to get the amps neccessary. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5289
any reason why u are getting the pioneer's??

Post Number: 5
my friend has a lower series, maybe the ts-w3004spl, and they hit pretty hard. If you wanna suggest something else go ahead, I just need to know how the amps and subs are set up as far as channels and outputs go, so I can figure out what all to buy. It's just that the 2 ts-w5000spl subs are decently cheap, handle a lot of power, and don't take up a lot of space.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1428
maybe a orion 2500d

Post Number: 7
I'm not looking for advice on what amp to buy, I just wanna know how the hookup between amp and subs works. Each sub will have a 2 ohm impedance, for a 1 ohm total load. Can I run both off a single channel running at 1 ohm? Or do I need to find something running at 2 channels, with each channel being 2 ohms? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1438
what amp do you think your going to run, run it at 1ohm, and it needs to be the 4001bd for fosgate and for memphis the 4000w amp with the bridge module @a 1ohm load. it will be the most efficient way to run them. hard to find a 2 channel that will support that much power needed.

Post Number: 8
So I can run two subs off one channel? I was looking at the Memphis amps and the Hifonics XX series, and I just wanted to be sure I can run a pair of subs with only one output channel before I make any decisions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1443
yes as long as it is 1ohm stable and can support the wattage you need, youll need HO alt and xtra battery at least

Post Number: 9
Yeah, I looked into the HO alternators, I'm gonna get one of them. Tell me anything you know about this amp and brand, if you dont mind: MA Audio HK802SX. It puts out 4400 RMS @ 1 ohm bridged. It says high current, I dont know what that refers to, does it just mean it will draw more from the alternator? Anyway, check it out at

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2682.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1445
if you really want to use MA, use 2 hk4000d amps, 1 per sub, they are rated at 3600w@14.4volts @2ohms. and 4000 @17volts@2ohms. If you really want to push some power to those subs.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5495
if were me i'd get 2 separate amps like kicker 2500.1 which does over 2500wrms @ 2ohms ......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us