Will my RF 500.2 amp handle 2 ohms bridge

Bronze Member
Username: Parad0x

Post Number: 41
Hey there guys, have another question. I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 500.2 amp, specs are

250 watts rms x 2 @ 2 ohms Stereo

500 watts rms X 1 @ 4 ohms Bridged/Mono

2 channels.

Now, I have an opportunity to get two 10" JL Audio 10w0's, My problem is these subwoofers are SVC 4 ohms, each.. That means I have to wire these subs either for 2 ohms, or 8 ohms in mono/bridged, or I can wire it 4 ohms to each channel in stereo.

My question is, if I were to wire these subwoofers for @ 2 ohms (bridged), and hook it up to the amplifier, how will my amplifier take it?

I really do not want to wire it in stereo at @ 4 ohms, because I will only be putting out like 125 watts rms each channel.. The sealed box has two seperate chambers, one for each subwoofer.

Bronze Member
Username: Chevelle

Lancaster, Pa Usa

Post Number: 55
no i don't think rf amp will handle 2ohm bridged wire both of you jl for 2ohm and make it 4ohm load on the amp.Also you can wire the both for 2ohm and run the stereo but don't bridge it in 2 ohm unless you amp say it is 2ohm bridgeable

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 536
I would expect it to work, but it will probably get fairly hot, especially when you push it. Might go into thermal protection after running for a while, and will without a doubt shorten the life of the amp.

My car will go 140 if I hold it to the floor, but I wouldn't expect it to last long if I drove it like that all the time :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
"no i don't think rf amp will handle 2ohm bridged wire both of you jl for 2ohm and make it 4ohm load on the amp.Also you can wire the both for 2ohm and run the stereo but don't bridge it in 2 ohm unless you amp say it is 2ohm bridgeable"

Well, can you tell me of how I can wire it 2 ohms for each channel? I am very curious. it would be perfect if that was possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Chevelle

Lancaster, Pa Usa

Post Number: 56
go to kicker.com and go to support then look in there the show you how to wire the up i have the paper around here somewhere.it's neg-neg and pos-pos then you put another wire on the neg and one on the pos then run them to you amp but don't bridge it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I took the chance to see what else I can get, and there are these two 10" Pioneer TS-W256C/DVC, which are DVC 4-ohm subwoofers, so I can the amp 2 x 250 watts rms @ 2 ohms (stereo). But, the Quality of these subwoofers have me worried.. Would these subwoofers have equal or better SQ compared to the JL Audio 10w0 ? Here is a link to the pioneer website regarding these subs.

2076_4059_153020668_tab=B%2C00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent,http://w ww.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4059_153020668_tab=B,00.htm l?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

The JL Audio 10w0's subwooers are just that JL Audio, but one of the subwoofers caps was glued back on lol.

Or get some Pioneer ones, supposidly these are the new generation subwoofers, but really what's the Quality of what these subwoofers are made with?. These subwoofers will be used as well, but are a lot newer then compared to the other JL audio ones, and on top of that these subwoofers can be wired properly at 2 ohms per channel, so I can make full use of my amplifier.

Here is a link to the JL 10w0 for comparison.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10_12_15W0_MAN.pdf

Sound Quality is very important to me, so does this Pioneer Sub be as responsive as the JL audio one?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1382
how much are you trying to spend on subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Nothing money wise$. Im trading my Car deck for subwoofer(s) w/ box with people in my area, and I received those two offers so far.. two pioneers, and two jl audio's, both with enclosures..

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1386
the pioneers would match up better to that amp if they are dual 4 ohm subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
what do you think of pioneer in geenral? like that specific subwoofer im checking out now. Is it one of those 'over-rated' subs, that bumps loud but has poor SQ ?

Bronze Member
Username: Akac

Post Number: 12
ive got two RF punch 500.2 hooked up to two alpine type r's dvc at 4ohms, amp per sub. i have both subs wired to 2ohms and both amps bridged and have never had a problem with ether amp. ive had it set up like that for a while now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us