What is the reason my Optima Red Top died?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 104
I've been running my red top battery for about 8 months as a second battery but when my stock battery died i used it as the main battery i was only running 1 amp(600w)off of the red top.I go to start my car today and it died what could be the reason for this?(I dont have a HO alt or the big 3 yet)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2067
crank your car and use a multimeter to see it you are getting 13.5-14.5V w/ the car running. If you are not getting roughly that voltage...your alternator died on you. This caused your batt to drain.

also...take the batt out and put it on a charger for a while. make sure it will old a float voltage of 12V+.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Ok, caused i checked the battery without the car running with a DMM and it read 11.35v.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1387
the optimas will never be the same after they are drained dead.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 115
I headr they are not as good as the yellow tops and that the reds will quickly die. I had asked because I saw the reds are much cheaper. Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
What is the real difference between the redtop and the yellotop?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 118
ONe can handle more deep cycling than the other.Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
what exactly is deep cycling?

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 967
The Optima Red top is NOT a deep cycle battery! Its a starting battery with high amount of cranking amps. The Yellow top is a deep cycle batt! <-thats what you use with a system. You prob drained your Red top with your system. They are NOT as strong as Yellows.

The Orange and Red are the same with reveresed terminals. Blue top is also same as the Yellow, but its for marine use; so you can use a batt charger with it.

But now a Yellow top should work fine under the hood if you dont have a engine that requires lots of cranking amps. =D

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 968
Deep cycle is when you can drain the battery low, and the battery still would be able to recharge it self.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
sometimes i felt like the redtop would recharge itself cause when i drive around my volts would be around 12-13v but the next day when i start my car it would be around 14-15v

Bronze Member
Username: Miriamrowland

Ft. drum, New york Us

Post Number: 38
yellow tops are for quick charges and discharges

red tops are for cranking amps and do not charge nearly as fast as a yellow top
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us