How do I wire 2 head units to my car?

Bronze Member
Username: Bradgman

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 56
I have to have AM and MP3 on a head unit and have never had an after market head unit get any AM stations so I want to hook up an extra head unit and from that head unit have 2 amps for subs and speakers. I know this sounds stupid but I can not find a head unit that will play MP3 and pick-up AM stations so I am going to keep the stock HU for the AM with the factory speakers and then have the other head unit a MP3 head unit and have that wired to subs and separate speakers from the stock head unit. Is this possible? How do you do this? Is there another way to get AM stations to escape this nightmare?
Thanks
Brad

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11138
buy a decent head unit?
every one I've had worked fine with AM.

if you insist on two head units, you'll need a switching network like the Sony XA-39a which allows you to use two head units, and switches between them to avoid feedback, while using the same amplifiers and speakers for the entire system.
then you can use one set of amps and speakers with both head units.
on the stock head, just take the speaker leads and connect them to a line-out converter or something like the JL Audio LC6 or Cleansweep which gives you RCA outputs from a factory radio for use with a custom stereo.

If you buy the JL unit, it offers an AUX input as well so in theory you could just use the factory radio, new amps and subs, and an iPod or something.. no need for two head units.

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 59
Okay I will just buy the one head unit if it will work. I have a mp5028 kenwood mp3 and it can't pick-up any AM stations. What head unit would you buy for the MP3 and AM? Hopefully it can reach the stations. What else could I do to insure the pick-up of the AM stations? That would be great if I could just do the one HU.
sorry about the multiple forums.
Thanks

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 60
Also will tweeters blow if they have a built in crossover if hooked up to my 2 ch. amp with just 2 kappas 6x9 3 way? I only have the 2 speakers and need more tweets. What should I do to insure that the tweeters will not blow? What tweeters would you buy? What would the ohm load be one 2 2ohm kappas and 4ohm dome tweeters? I am guessing a 1 ohm stable amp can handle that right? Sorry for all of the questions. To make it simpler what HU would you buy, and how would you wire the 2 kappas and the 2 tweeters to a 2ch 1ohm stable amp? Can I get away with a 2 ch 2ohm stable amp?
Thanks
Brad

Bronze Member

GAlVeStoN, Tx Usa

Post Number: 61
I guess also what amp would you get? 1,2,4 ch. or will they all work? Does it have to be 1ohm stable, because the one I have isn't? Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11150
look at eclipse head units

digger0320spike
Unregistered guest
your stupid
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts