Ultimate SPL subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 37
What is the biggest, baddest, loudest sub out there?

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1369
well , heres a list of some good spl subs
re mt
kicker solo x
memphis mojo
mmats juggernaut

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1370
oh yeah ..dun dun dun....THE MTX JACKHAMMER!

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 323
my personal pic would be the MMATS jugernaut 18" 1400RMS....and could definetely take more

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1371
and there's eclipse titanium pro , the list goes on and on of good spl subs , and i was jokin about the jackhammer , i hope everyone here knows that lol

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1118
i would have to give my vote to the shocker neo-sig, i've heard of people giving them 9000watts with no problems.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1373
wow , now that is crazy

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1641
DD 9915
mass destruction Napalm
incriminator audio death penalty/lethal injection

loudmouf
Unregistered guest
personally i would pick the Eclipse Ti 18" pro sub.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1376
just abou any we named off is going to be a real great spl sub

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 699
Again, don't forget the audiobahn's UFO, lol

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 506
Treo CXT can take 20K watts and the CSX can take 5k watts. depends on what you are looking for but either would be a good choice.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1935
i dont know about "THE BADDEST SPL SUB"...but if i had the $ to blow and i was building a strickly SPL machine...i would go w/ Digital Designs 9900z's.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 760
TREO CXT or CSX! baddest SPL sub.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1119
99z's are badass subs, but mike, the creator of shocker said he compared the neo-sig to the 99z and he said with 3000watts the neo-sig was about 1.3db, not sure if thats the exact number, louder. and plus you have to be some1 special to get the 99z from DD.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1704
atomic has crazy SPL subs too. they have a sub made for 16000w... but it takes that for lunch. dinner it eats a 220V outlet wired at .5ohms! check out the video on www.realmofexcursion.com

Anonymous

all yall are talking s h i t obviously if a sub is 23" in dia 6000 watts rms it will beat a 1400 watts rms 18" dia sub in spl and is biggest, baddest, loudest sub out there......u dumbasses

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 599
cactus sounds
trf from 1992 with the 4" coils
digital designs 99z
shocker neo sigz
mass destruction hellfires
atomic apx

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 777
thats your opinion then, dumbass. 6000rms aint sh!t boy.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 115
who mkes a 23" in dia 6000 watts rms sub I wanna see it??

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1122
atomic is the same thing as shocker, and team RF sub which is the same thing as a shocker super xtreme.

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 249
i think its the mtx jackhammer that is 23" and 6000rms.

but audiobahn makes a 34" subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2036
id go with what mr. white said. digital designs 9900 series

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 34
RE MT or Adire Tumult or the fabled "Parthenon" from Adire.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 522
that atomic video says that the coils are in series so thats two ohms and it looks like a 120v plugin (unless in Europe)

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 789
remember 120 volt ac has a low current of 20-30 amps. that would fry a sub! unless the current was increased.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 459
wow, 20 some posts and nobody's mentioned the current world record holder, and the first sub ever to hit 180??

Pioneer TSW-5000SPL

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5137
yea but they did that with 12 subs (or more was it ?) & that is 2 the very extreme

I think what most ppl here were reffering to would be like 1-4 subs max in total numbers in typical daily applications .....

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 467
that may be, but there's been a LOT of SPL competitors match that displacement and not sniff 180. It should at least make the debate, don't ya thing?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 468
and think, too :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 28
im still a fan of stroker.still want a stroker pro hopefully ill have a 15 sometime this summer

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 12
Why isn't the jackhammer the biggest and best? Mtx is a pretty solid company and I seriously doubt anyone here has heard it, so how can you knock it?

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 274
did u say the craphammer.........lol..thats most likely the worst thing ever made....for 10,000$ i could have a system that would....well crap on that...prolly some new re xxx 15

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 44
jackhammer is a P#NIS envy move that MTX PR did to say look what we did lets see someone match it. Its impractical in use and size and is like A-bahn's 34in subwoofer that you need to buy a an just to have a shot of installing it.

The Parthenon is the mack daddy of the subwoofers, come on when Dan Wiggins spends around 4k on the motor structure for a sub you know its extreme. I wish i still had pics of the sub and close ups on the motor structure, they didn't name it the parthenon for no good reason. I have one pic but its not a good one of the motor. Upload

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 795
^^ how exactly does that thing work.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 796
bump

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1708
the atomic video i believe like the 5th test or so they wired it in parallel for a .5ohm load. its in belgium so yes it is a 220V not 120V. ran 94 amps or something idk. it shows it in the video...

B, i dont know details... i just know it moves that piece of wood back and forth really hard lol.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 797
lol, thats spl 4 ya.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 474
well if we're going to get ridiculous we can't leave out the 5 footer...http://www.davidnavone.com/a2000/60Inches.jpg

If anyone's interested...

The 60-inch subwoofer absolutely has the capability to produce SPL levels well above 180 dB. It is simple math and the laws of physics.

Actually, before designing it, we looked at a comparison between a large number of conventional subwoofers, or a single giant one. After we did the math, the obvious choice was the one giant woofer. It's output displacement is comparable to 160+ ten inch woofers. It can move a lot of air!

The original idea for the giant subwoofer came about in 1994 when Doug Winker, Chris Lewis, and myself were investigating how to create the highest SPL levels, just for fun. The giant sub was the best performance option, but we didn't have the capability or finances to build it at the time. Anyway, that year was when Chris and Doug installed the dual compression drivers with the horn mouth right below the mic location against the windshield. Unfortunately, the horn system was "disqualified" by the head SPL judge because the rules said the competitor could not have any windows cracked open, and Chris' windshield was cracked. I guess it didn't make any difference that the rule was intended to ensure al the windows were rolled up, and there were no openings to the outside that could affect the SPL reading.

Anyway, the 60-inch sub came about in 1997 while I was working with RC and Dave in North Carolina. Tim Maynor wanted to build a new SPL vehicle, and wanted Autosound 2000's help. We looked at the different possibilities for woofer configurations, and with Dr. Eugene Patronis' help (from Georgia Tech), we designed and built the giant subwoofer in about a six week period.

Unfortunately, Tim and his crew didn't realize just how much acoustical power the sub could generate, and didn't build the vehicle to contain it appropriately. Even at less than 1/2 output, the doors were blown off the tracks, and the entire vehicle ballooned in and out several inches. The woofer was installed in the "bread truck" anyway, and it went to Finals not fully tested.

At the Finals in 1997, Alma protested the use of the computer used to control the energy fed to the subwoofer by the power supply, so RC had to try to do it by simply touching two cables together with no feedback, and hope that the energy level was correct when it was set off. As it turned out, it wasn't at the right level, and the speaker's motor simply drove the cone assembly too hard and too fast, and snapped part of the main conecting tube in half. But, it did do 162+ dB with a single positive stroke of the cone before it broke!

The woofer was updated with several modifications after that incident so that it won't have problems with breaking again.

A couple of facts about it...

The cone moves 6 inches peak to peak under full-tilt output.

The actual cone diameter is 54 inches, with the 3 inch wide surround on the outside of that. The radiating surface area is 2,290 square inches. That yields a one way displacement of 6,871 cubic inches. That is equivalent to the displacement of 161 ten inch woofers that move 1.5 inches peak to peak.

The motor is capable of producing 6,000+ pounds of linear force, which is necessary when considering the very large surface area and displacement volume required to produce high SPL levels.

The woofer was designed with the capability to produce SPL levels of 188 dB, which are entirely possible, given an appropriately built vehicle. It is simply a matter of displacement and containment.

It hasn't seen the light of the car audio industry since 1998 for several reasons. First is money... It isn't cheap to haul it around, and unless it would produce some significant return on investment... You get the idea. Basically, it would be a very high price to pay for some entertainment value and bragging rights.

Also, it would not be legal in competition by current rules because it isn't a typical production, commercially available product.

It is still one of my goals to bring it back out, and let it rip a huge SPL number. Maybe someday, it will prove what it can really do. But for now, only a few people have truly experienced its capabilities. It is outrageously loud, and can make you a sick to your stomach when it plays those very low frequencies.

For those that don't believe it can do what it can do, that's your choice. But, I can tell you that it was designed with strict attention paid to solid engineering principles and practices. Believe it or not, given the right vehicle design, structurally built to withstand the acoustical power of the giant woofer, it could easily produce SPL numbers in the high 180's.

It is one of the coolest things ever created in car audio. It's just too bad no major manufacturers recognize what it could do for their marketing efforts, with a little creative effort.

Oh well... Someday...

--------------------
Mark Eldridge
Mobile Soundstage Engineering
mblsound@aol.com

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 798
Thats ridiculous. Im not sure I want to listen to how bad that sq will prob sound. It better hit that number with that much surface area. Not to mention the pwr to pwr it. lol

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 799
Upload

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 73
The pic i showed was only of the motor structure. The basket and cone were in another picture but IIRC i think Dan only made like 5 of them. last I heard was that the sub could be used in car audio but was so extreme that it was very good for small theaters or pretty extreme HT setups.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1401
Eclipse Ti Pro is an awesome SPL sub... I've yet to turn mine all the way up...

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1430
jake what amp you running with that monster ? lol

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1404
Each one has an Eclipse DA7232 4,000 watts RMS straped to it... :P Pretty impressive. It's taken a lot of work and even more $ to get it where it is. It's currently sitting in about 8' of snow though...

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 288
i thought the da7232 is 2000rms cuz they say its made for two tis

haha. what happened to your car jake? got stuck in the snow?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us