Jonathan HELP ME.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 810
seriously.. ive got sooo much equipment to fab for.. and im rdy to get going on it,, Tons of questions first tho.. k its basically a type x setup here goes the list. im going for an Sq system more than anything

Type X 6.5 comp speakers
Type X 6.5 Midbass drivers
Type X 12" Subwoofers (x2)
2 x MRD-M1005
1 x MRV-M545
priced a 250 amp alt from exc. amp. should do the trick eh?

ok im pretty much decided on sealed enclosure for the subs as thats what the Qts points to (0.64) I know ported boxes can have good sq (better than sealed so u say) if properly designed but do you thing it would be appropriate for these? Otherwise i was going with .85 cu ft sealed.

next is the comp set.. ive herd try to build as big of enclosure as you can for the woofers so that was the plan.. inside the corner of the door in the stock location to get as big of enclosure as i can get in there. then tweeter a few inches above it of course.. sound good so far? I dont wanna do kickpods btw i think the speakers will get trashed there.

next is a bit of a problem .. the midbass drivers
dont know where these are going yet.. i could modify the rear 5x7 openings for them , but would they be over powered back there by the subs? its a hatchback 88 stang.. so there not way back there . say 2-3 feet from my head . again id try to do a large enclosure for them

last thing is where is a good place to put the crossovers? ive never installed a component set before. ive started on little mdf/fibreglass holders for them so they are covered.

i guess the rest is cosmetic.. but it like to know proformance wise if my ideas will work..

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5267
Sealed for the sub. Those are definately inclined to a sealed enclosure.

What I'd really recommend is 6.5" midbass drivers in the door, and a 4" component set in kick panels. The 4" won't require or take that much airspace and you could install them in a way that they wouldn't be obtrusive, the off axis of a 4" is going to be good as long as the crossover frequency isn't too high. You'd get excellent imaging that way, and powerful bass.

If that isn't an option, the midbasses can work in the rear as a fill option, but you'd get better performance with them up front. It would take more work, of course. If you run them in the rear, don't cross them over too high.

"last thing is where is a good place to put the crossovers? ive never installed a component set before. ive started on little mdf/fibreglass holders for them so they are covered."

As close to the components as possible, such as a kick panel, beside or under the drivers seat. They can work well beside the amplifier as well, though.

If you haven't already bought the equipment, I have a couple of recommendations for you. If you have, let me know if you have any more questions.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 811
the comp set is 6.5 accually... only thing not bought is the subwoofer amps(suggestions?)there decent amps but i know theres alot better.. and i know these subs are kinda power hungy so i might get a lil more powerful ones.. i guess il try and test fit some things out in the kick panel area see if i can make it work. thanks for the response

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 812
i know theres alot better stuff to get.. i wanted to try an all alpine system to see how it is.. if i get tired of it (hopefully not too soon lol) id love to try the idmax's and some of those speakers your always raving about

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5275
What I was going to say is that you could have gotten a single ID Max, Eclipse Titanium, or similar sub, put it in a ported box, and spend half the moolah on power and subs with equal output and SQ, with less space taken and less current drawn from the alternator.

The Type X components are very good for the money. I know you said the 6.5s, but wasn't sure if you'd already bought them. Wherever you decide to install the components, do the best you can possibly do. Install the midbass on an MDF or Plywood ring, sound deaden the doors as heavily as you can, and make sure air can't escape through the door panel to cause cancellation. Spend lots of time doing critical listening to make sure you're happy with the speaker locations. Take breaks to make sure you don't experience listening fatigue. Once you make a concrete decision, you can start cutting holes and putting speakers in. That will solidify the sound a lot.

As far as the amps, I'd recommend you look at MTX and Kicker for amps in that price range. Either has what you want. Both are a better value than Alpine amps and are underrated, while Alpines tend to get just barely meet their RMS with 14.4V.

I never saw the point in an all one brand system unless you're sponsored. No company makes the best of everything, and there are already a gazillion people out there with an all Alpine system.

Last note, one of the bigger things you should think about is processing. Good components without processing is like putting a new carburetor on and not jetting it to meet the demands of the engine. A good processor like an Alpine PXA-H701 (good) or Audiocontrol DQXS (better) would make a huge difference in getting the potential out of your system.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2765
Jonathan is it really necessary to have a Processor if you have a high end HU like Alpine 9835 or Premier 860. They have good processing as it is. I have a good componant set in the HD62 and was wondering if the extra processor is really necessary to yield good results because i dont have a processor. Only the 9835 etc..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5276
"Jonathan is it really necessary to have a Processor if you have a high end HU like Alpine 9835 or Premier 860."

A head unit can't touch a good processor. If you really want a top notch SQ system, a processor is the only way to do it. You want 1/3 octave equalization, additionaly parametric EQs aren't a bad thing either. The processor will do more for your system than upgrading the components will. No component system can overcome the acoustics of a vehicle, a processor can.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 813
thanks again jon
what would you recommend for higher end subwoofer amps? looking into the 1500 watt range..(good amount of power to have i think .. will power most high end subs out there) thats the one thing i havent been to keen on buying from alpine is there d class amps. will definately look into the processor

got price from nathan too.. 350 bucks for a 250 amp alt and 15 bucks shipping to canada.. seems like a pretty sweet deal

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 817
bump jon..^

also about the PXA H701 "The PXA-H701 multimedia manager is controllable from IVA-D310, DVA-9965, and DVA-9860. Use it in stand-alone mode with the RUX-C701 controller and achieve perfect imaging with manual or auto time correction." from alpine site.. does this mean i need the controller to use this? id obviously have to spend hours trying to figure one of these out.. but if it will get it sounding that much better itl definately be worth it.. now that i look at it i think i can get both midbasses and comp set in the doors as they are fairly big.. i can probably cut the window on the one side (short) side of the window if the enclosures interfere..
best way to mount be from bottom up, Comp woofer-tweeter and then midbass on top?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5406
"what would you recommend for higher end subwoofer amps? looking into the 1500 watt range..(good amount of power to have i think .. will power most high end subs out there"

How much money for one? As far as the high end amps, Zapco, Arc, Brax, TRU, and some others have offerings in the 1000+ range, but they're very costly. For budget amps, Kicker has some nice options.

"also about the PXA H701 "The PXA-H701 multimedia manager is controllable from IVA-D310, DVA-9965, and DVA-9860. Use it in stand-alone mode with the RUX-C701 controller and achieve perfect imaging with manual or auto time correction." from alpine site.. does this mean i need the controller to use this?"

Can't remember. I think the DVD head units can control the processor fully, but you better email Alpine and check. I'd guess they would saying Alpine sells the processor w/o the controller. Honestly, I like the Audiocontrol units better. Especially with the DDC unit.

"best way to mount be from bottom up, Comp woofer-tweeter and then midbass on top?"

Go to JL Audios site and look at the Volkswagen GTI demo vehicle. That's how I'd do it.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/gallery_pages.php?page_id=132#
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us