Problem - Need some input

Username: Jester10788

New Jersey U.S. of A!

Post Number: 8
K Here's the deal. I'm having this place install my Audiobahn A8002T and connect it to 2 12" Infinity Ref. Subs. The subs are 300RMS each and the amp is giving them 400RMS (if its wired the way it should). Anyway today they guy calls and says there is a problem. He got everything hooked up fine, but when the music is on a bad sound is heard. He said he couldn't even give it to me the way it sounds. He went back and checked everything thinking some mistake could of happened, and after a long time, finally came to the conclusion it was the alternator. This is because when he turned the car on and pushed on the gas pedal, the noise went away. What do you guys think the problem is? Is it the Alt. ? Is this very common? Before I added the aftermarket subs and amp, the stock sub sounded terrible. It would rattle a lot at any volume over about half. Could this be further evidence of the alternator? Might it be a bad ground? I trust this place so I'm thinking he might be right, but how do I have a "bad" alt. I drive a 98 Ford Expedition.
ANY and ALL help/input on this would help me lots. If I need to I will get the alt replaced, but only if it sounds like the alt is the problem.
Thanks,
Ryan

Username: Jester10788

New Jersey U.S. of A!

Post Number: 9
I did some reading around and I think the guy might be right. I probably just never noticed it because my car isn't used to using so much power. Once the amp was put in it was apparant then what is wrong. How much does a alt cost to replace, or what do you think this guy will tell me so I don't get the shaft.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 567
what kind of car do you have and what year?

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 688
he said he drives a 98 ford expediton up there ^ i almost missed it too

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 572
oh lol. it prorbablly is the alt, just get a cap... that should help if that doesn't work get a HO alt, and then you can get a bigger system lol

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 694
i wouldve thought your alt. could take 800 watts

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 698
nah i wouldnt get a cap...i would see how much a ho alt is going to run you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums