Quality not Quantity

Username: Dabassman1

Post Number: 1
Some people think you need a 4000 watt system just to be heard from a distance. I am here to tell you this is not true.Systems with large amounts of high currents can damage your cars charging system in no time if you don't have the correct equipment to support it. For example, if you have a system with more than 1000 watts max output, you should consider getting a capacitor and/or a powercap. I have 2 rockford fosgate 12" stage 2 subs powered by a 600 watt amp, and they hit like a mutha! Some dude ran up to me and asked if I had a few 15s in my trunk or something. He didn't believe me, so of course I showed him my setup. I anyone needs any help setting up an amp or wiring anything dealing with car audio, just ask.

Anonymous

i think we all here already have knowledge of what you said

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1454
Why get a Cap when you can get a HO alt

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 294
hes just trying to help out and no not everyone here knows that , thats why they come here so they can learn

Anonymous

wow that was the dumbest comment ive ever heard that was right up there with the dumbest things ever said im pretty sure that everyone knows about that and buddy you need a ho alt also not justa cap wat did u think we did talk on this site about everythiung and anything but car audio you cant just walk in here and talk like your king sh&t you could of said something better than that to start off

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 303
casey, get on aim. i want 2 talk 2 some1.and anonimous, show ur dam name

Bronze Member
Username: Keegan_man

Post Number: 25
welcome to the site

Anonymous

good thing he told us that info cause we dum@$$es here don't know a thing about car audio -lol

U should not enter this forum with an intro like dude cause u r damn sure 2 get no respect !

- btw , i'm the 1st anon

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4435
Some of what he said is true you dont need 4000 watts to he heard there are plenty of people that have 200 watts going to 1 atlas 15 that are being heard for sure. I dont agree with your whole cap belief but each will learn at their own pace. Welcome to the site man!

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1459
I believe the enclosure is the most important thing. It can make or break your sub. Without a good enclosure your sub aint sh!t no matter wtf it is.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1460
Sean hit around 130 with 2 6.5's 100 watts RMS each.
Thats gotta tell ya somethin.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 719
i think it also depends on the car. cuz my car keeps most all the sound inside, can't hear me comming at all on the outside(with windows up of course), but inside is loud as hell. systems in profile. friend has 3 alpine type e 10's on a JL 500/1 and you can hear him comming from a long ways even with the windows up. he drives a sunfire, i drive an accord.
i do agree with the box statements though, that makes a big difference.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1461
Yes it does also depend on the car.... SPL competitors sometimes tune thier ported enclosures to the resonant frequency of there car.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 423
i didn't know anything about HO alt or a cap... so dont' say EVERYONE knows, because not all of us do

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 722
very important pieces of equiptment nolimit.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 433
thank you for telling me that... are both of those important or just one? i have a lexus SC300, would i need a new HO alt and cap or is it good stock?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 105
Mr. Greene, I have no problem with people providing helpful information - but when it's incorrect, or at least misleading that should be pointed out.

You mentioned the word "max" with power - not a good idea - max power is not a defined term in car audio and is of little use when talking about the power of an amp or power handling of a speaker.

Secondly, if there is any evidence of a struggling charging system the cheapest and simplest modification would be to upgrade the stock wiring from alt to batt, and batt to chassis.
If that isn't enough the alternator is the next logical step. Batteries are only a critical upgrade if the system is used a lot with the car off, b/c with the engine running the alternator should carry the load.
Caps are really not very helpful to the elecrical system. They can, in some cases reduce headlight dimming, but that does not help the alternator, as it is the alternator that has to charge the capacitor.

FWIW - I'm running a 1200w rms system - a stock 110A alt, a 6 year old Wal-Mart battery, and the only electrical modification I've made is an 8 ga wire from the alternator ouput to the battery (+). My voltage drop is almost immeasurable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us